PTO: [EDM] Scottie Upshall (released)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I have watched Reider for many years. His Pk is solid. But he can’t finish and score, he’s barely a third line forward. Upshall might beat him out for the second line, not because he is good but because Reider is pretty marginal. He didn’t work out in AZ or LA for a reason and he got top 6 minutes with both clubs. He has all the tools just can’t put it together. I used to think he would turn into a 40 point or more forward, not any more, but I hope he succeeds in Edmonton, he is a good guy.
He has 2 years of right around 35 points as a middle six forward on a team that didn't score at all. Upshall hasn't put up a season with 30+ points in 5 years. to expect him to do so again would be an error in judgement.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He has 2 years of right around 35 points as a middle six forward on a team that didn't score at all. Upshall hasn't put up a season with 30+ points in 5 years. to expect him to do so again would be an error in judgement.
Reider had way better line mates in AZ and L.A. then Upshall the last few years. Look, I hope Rieder gets 40 points, I just think he is fading and Upshall has some grit/ability that could elevate him above Rieder in the line up.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Reider had way better line mates in AZ and L.A. then Upshall the last few years. Look, I hope Rieder gets 40 points, I just think he is fading and Upshall has some grit/ability that could elevate him above Rieder in the line up.
If he is played with Drai, Reider will have the best linemates he has ever had. Upshall has been on the fourth line the last few seasons because that's what he is now - a quality, gritty, fourth line player. Reider is just more skilled and at this point in their careers a much better option on a scoring line. Reider is coming off of a single bad season, you are writing him off far too soon. Of course, he may not work out on our 2nd line. But Upshall certainly isn't a better option at this point.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If he is played with Drai, Reider will have the best linemates he has ever had. Upshall has been on the fourth line the last few seasons because that's what he is now - a quality, gritty, fourth line player. Reider is just more skilled and at this point in their careers a much better option on a scoring line. Reider is coming off of a single bad season, you are writing him off far too soon. Of course, he may not work out on our 2nd line. But Upshall certainly isn't a better option at this point.
I hope your right, i like Rieder's potential, but talk to me in December:)

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I liked Upshall when he was in Florida. He was overpaid when he was on the Panthers. And he took some really stupid annoying penalties, but he's a solid 4th liner.

He also checked out my ex at a Panthers/Canucks game a few years ago.

Reactions: 16Skippy

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

To expect a player pigeonholed in the bottom 4, playing predominantly PK minutes with no PP time to have anything resembling a 30+ point season is simply far-fetched. You're comparing apples to oranges here - Rieder is supposed to have offensive upside while being defensively responsible. Upshall is a rock defensively, and at best mediocre offensively.

Upshall isn't a top 6 player. He isn't a middle 6 player. He's a really good 4th line energy guy, who excels on the PK. Don't expect offense from him, and be happy when he chips in. He will be a positive locker room influence and notable improvement on your god awful PK from last season.

You're better off hoping Benson/Yamamoto impress out of camp and steal that opportunity in the top 6 and allow both Rieder and Upshall to play down the lineup - because Edmonton isn't going to look pretty with either of them in the top 6.

Reactions: cobra427

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Brutal. Whats Edmonton thinking? Upshall is worse than rotting garbage in the desert sun

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
My first thought, damn he must be old by now..
*look him up*

Realize I am older than Scottie :S

Go get that contract Scottie!

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Brutal. Whats Edmonton thinking? Upshall is worse than rotting garbage in the desert sun

He's an above average 4th liner with speed and can kill PKs. That's all he's been asked to do. It's a nice piece of business for me, not sure why you could have such a strong opinion on a player averaging 10min of ice time.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Maybe that's why he shoulda signed in Vancouver...fit in nicely with the hot garbage you guys signed this summer.

Hes actually a very good 4th line player...frankly im surprised he's only been given PTO's the last 3 seasons compared to other players that get actual deals.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
He's definitely a heart and soul player. Always has been. Given to taking dumb penalties because of it. He's got wheels for sure. Once upon a time he was a first rounder with 2nd line upside so he'll occasionally show flashes of offense but don't be fooled. Hes a solid speedy 4th liner who can pk. Definitely worth a look. Great pickup considering Edmontons needs

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Your team has slugs and grinders like Gudbranson, Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson, and Gagner taking up over 20 million in cap space for the next two seasons.

If Upshall even gets a contract it’ll be for one year at league min.

Mind yer business.

Reactions: Bluenatic

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Your team has slugs and grinders like Gudbranson, Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson, and Gagner taking up over 20 million in cap space for the next two seasons.

If Upshall even gets a contract it’ll be for one year at league min.

Mind yer business.
This is the main forum bub, it aint the Oilers forum.

If you cant take the heat then stay out of the kitchen...

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Remember seeing some stat from 3 or 4 years ago about how Upshall is essentially the most average player in the league. I always think of that when his name comes up. Probably not a bad add for Edmonton even if he only ends up being a camp invite.

Which average.

One of the hockey theories I presented was
3d matrix of player situation usage based on Desjardins Comp, Team, ZS.
Later presented as inaccurate 2 axis player usage charts by Volman and others.

Thier are 512 situations with viable data variance to set the breakdown at that level.
Meaning thier are 512 situation averages to do a +/- performance comparison.

Like Scotty Bowman, I believe you build lines by strong situation fwd pairs.

Lines are 1st , 2nd, 3rd, 4th based on level of offence & Goal diff they can out performe.

Brodziak and Upshall.
Of the 60% of ZS that is from face offs
49.6% was in thier def Zone.
19.4% was in the OZ.

Of the 40% of ZS that is from coach’s bench change decision.
70% was without pocession..

They faced on average bott 1st/Upr 2nd comp.

The expected 0ff production for this situation is 1.40evgf/60.
2.09 was what they were.

Running a Def FO and Bench change PvP role is usually -22 unit Goal diff for 800 even minutes per season.

The pair played 458 ev min and were -2.
When the expected was -13.
So the were +11 relative to the expected unit Goal diff.
+1.44 evg/60min.

They were an elite 1st comp goal diff forward pair last year.
Allowing softer comp for the other lines.

I hope they show that same Elite talent paired in camp.

Top options for Even off production/ Goal diff fwd pairs.

RNH-Mcdavid-xxx
xxx-Draisatl-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-xxx
Upshall-Brodziak-xxx

Lucic LW
Reider LW/RW
Kassian RW
Caggulia LW/C/RW
Rattie RW
Aberg LW/RW
Yamamoto LW/RW

Reactions: Brockon