PTO: [EDM] Scottie Upshall (released)

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
The Oilers PK was pretty pathetic last season. This is the most likely reason they're looking at him. I'll be plenty happy if Upshall gets signed and the penalty kill is vastly improved. The more competition for spots the better.

The only way this could go bad is if he ends up signing with the Flames. :laugh:

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Brodziak and Upshall were both parts of very effective PKs for the Blues. However, they were both part of the unit last year that was mediocre at best.

Upshall is easy to root for, but I think his legs are done. Maybe on a bottom 10 team he can still compete for a spot, but its probably better given to a young rising player. Brodziak can still be an effective player, and I think was a very good pick up, but he is on the decline.

If Upshall does get a contract, he'll be a guy that I continue to pull for. He's great on the bench and in the locker room. His enthusiasm is infectious.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Brodziak and Upshall were both parts of very effective PKs for the Blues. However, they were both part of the unit last year that was mediocre at best.

Upshall is easy to root for, but I think his legs are done. Maybe on a bottom 10 team he can still compete for a spot, but its probably better given to a young rising player. Brodziak can still be an effective player, and I think was a very good pick up, but he is on the decline.

If Upshall does get a contract, he'll be a guy that I continue to pull for. He's great on the bench and in the locker room. His enthusiasm is infectious.
His PTO is with a bottom 10 team:)

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Oilers signed Brodziak and Raider in free agency and then on a PTO they bring in Jason Garrison and now Upshall? Mcdavid needs help around him and this isn't it.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Oilers signed Brodziak and Raider in free agency and then on a PTO they bring in Jason Garrison and now Upshall? Mcdavid needs help around him and this isn't it.
Yeah... well when you are tight to the cap and have a couple questionable contracts... what else can you possibly do?

In some ways I see this (cap constraints) as a blessing with regards to Pistol Pete.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Considering how much of a train wreck the PK was last year, most of these guys are just to upgrade the group that failed last year.

Most of those guys I actually like. It's the Caggiula, Aberg, Rattie, Khiara, Puljujarvi, and Yamamoto group, and the offensive hopes that are being placed on them which is the concern for the team...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like this. Upshall-Brodz-Kass 4th line would be nice.

More naughty than nice. A good, professional 4th line. Brodz is a good PK'er.

Oops, just saw that Upshall's knee failed him.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Upshall took another physical today and passed it. He barely failed the first one a few days ago due to some sort of knee irritation.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Upshall will be an Oiler. May not even have to wait until the end of camp for his contract to be announced.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If he is played with Drai, Reider will have the best linemates he has ever had. Upshall has been on the fourth line the last few seasons because that's what he is now - a quality, gritty, fourth line player. Reider is just more skilled and at this point in their careers a much better option on a scoring line. Reider is coming off of a single bad season, you are writing him off far too soon. Of course, he may not work out on our 2nd line. But Upshall certainly isn't a better option at this point.

Maroon scored 27 goals and who would of expected that from him . Chemistry matters .

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Maroon scored 27 goals and who would of expected that from him . Chemistry matters .
Anyone who saw him play in Anaheim? The only time Maroon hasn't scored at a top 6 rate at even strength was the season he was traded to the Oil.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Upshall-Brodziak-Kassian

Definitely has the potential to be a very solid 4th line.

Yeah. That's pretty much exactly what you want in a 4th line. You've got a lot of PK minutes there, and plenty of energy and grit to make an impact in limited minutes 5v5. There's a lot of sort of unfulfilled "offensive upside" there too...but that's not a bad thing to have on a 4th line. All 3 have at least flashed enough puck skill at times to be more. They're not just total plugs.

Didn’t this dude try out for the Canucks last year and get cut then end up back in St.Louis? I’m not excited.

He really didn't stand out at Canucks camp, but the important thing is that he landed back in St.Louis where he was a useful 4th line piece once again. He seems a lot more genuinely excited about potentially playing for the Oilers too, probably something about being a northern Alberta kid. So maybe he'll actually stick around and sign a deal there this time, instead of going back to St.Louis again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad