Proposal: EDM OTT

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Campbell for Korpisalo

garbage for garbage, trash for trash

Will a change of scenery help them? Probably not

Will Edmonton risk that extra year of term to have a potentially more capable backup if skinner falters? Also probably not

Discuss

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
No thanks. We saw what Korpisalo could do in the playoffs last year and that makes me more comfortable with Campbell as a backup.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Korpi stole OTT 2pts tonight.. he is back to being good

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Last 6 years stats (guess who?)
Goalie 1
GAA 2.75 sv pct. .904

Goalie 2
GAA 2.84. Sv pct .900

Goalie salaries
Campbell 5 million x 4
Korpisalo 4 million x5

Point is they both suck…. Why would the Oilers want this? Better to buy out Campbell

Dakine

Jan 30, 2024
Total cap hit value of the buyouts is almost the same. Just 2 years longer with Korpisalo.

I think for the Oilers, you could make the argument that the cap charges of $333,333 and $833,333 over the next 2 years for Korpisalo's buyout would be much easier to deal with than $1,833,333 and $2,300,000 for Campbell. They need cap flexibility now.

The last 2 years of Korp's buyout are $1,333,333 in 2030-31 ands 2031-32. The cap will be a lot higher and you can probably deal with that when you get there.

The question is, what does Ottawa get out of this?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd jump all over this in a heartbeat from an Edmonton perspective.

Not that Korpisalo is a world-beater, and the extra year is less ideal. But he's a much better netminder than he's shown in Ottawa. And at the end of the day...the Sens are an absolute goalie graveyard. Whatever they're doing, it's absolutely trash. Everybody does better when they leave. Everyone falls flat on their face when they arrive. It's beyond just a coincidence at this point. It's Philly level stuff.

And i'd trust Korpisalo a heck of a lot more than i'd trust Jack Campbell. If you just get Korpisalo's typical career average sort of performance...that combined with Skinner pretty much stabilizes the Oilers net, with insurance and options. $4M is also really not a bad price for that, even if he's just a decent 1b "tandem" guy.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005

Not that Korpisalo is a world-beater, and the extra year is less ideal. But he's a much better netminder than he's shown in Ottawa. And at the end of the day...the Sens are an absolute goalie graveyard. Whatever they're doing, it's absolutely trash. Everybody does better when they leave. Everyone falls flat on their face when they arrive. It's beyond just a coincidence at this point. It's Philly level stuff.

And i'd trust Korpisalo a heck of a lot more than i'd trust Jack Campbell. If you just get Korpisalo's typical career average sort of performance...that combined with Skinner pretty much stabilizes the Oilers net, with insurance and options. $4M is also really not a bad price for that, even if he's just a decent 1b "tandem" guy.
Campbell has better average stats…..plus Campbell has the way better last playoff stats…

.also both suck why would the oilers do this for one more year of a guy who sucks.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

The only guys to leave recently aren't doing to hot. Gus had a great season last year, just like he looked great for the Sens his first, and now looks bad.

Talbot looks good with a .911 save % on the season, but after a hot start behind LA's system, Talbot has lost 10 games in a row with an .881%

Gus has an .877 over the past 10 games, and an .896 on the season.

Daacord was a prospect and played a total of 9 games in the NHL, and has been out of Ottawa for 3 years, looks great for the first time this season.

Sens have just had piss poor goalies, while also being an absolutely terrible defensive team. The combo of awful goaltending and awful D is going to stick out like a sore thimb, but the goalies being awful plays a very, very large part in it.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So four B- prospects?
Sure... let's make em C prospects if that makes any difference.

Don't think the goalie swap helps anyone or is necessary but I believe Tarasenko would be involved if a OTT-EDM deal does take place this deadline.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I can't see the Oilers doing this, especially with the comments of them trying to add. The extra year, extra two years if bought out are deal breakers. With Campbell, they know what they have. With Korpi, you're not guaranteeing that you are getting a better goalie but just adding term for fun.

Reactions: Ragdoll

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Sure... let's make em C prospects if that makes any difference.

Don't think the goalie swap helps anyone or is necessary but I believe Tarasenko would be involved if a OTT-EDM deal does take place this deadline.
Let’s just be candid that all of Holloway, Broberg and Brogault are low value prospects.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Let’s just be candid that all of Holloway, Broberg and Brogault are low value prospects.
Sure.. they are scums of hockey.. it's natural once you get drafted by Oilers.
Not the topic of discussion so no need stir anything here.

1st+Janmark(cap) for Tarasenko retained as basis. Sparing OTT the low value scum.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Except that Holloway is up playing with the big club and has looked excellent and Broberg is in the AHL and playing a ton of minutes, scoring 1-15-16 points in 24 games.

Bourgault isn't doing much, true, but he is still young and figuring out the pro league with a so so 5-9-14 in 35 games.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Sure.. they are scums of hockey.. it's natural once you get drafted by Oilers.
Not the topic of discussion so no need stir anything here.

1st+Janmark(cap) for Tarasenko retained as basis. Sparing OTT the low value scum.
I'd think that should work for Ottawa. A 1st for Tarasekno would be good value for Ottawa.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Except that Holloway is up playing with the big club and has looked excellent and Broberg is in the AHL and playing a ton of minutes, scoring 1-15-16 points in 24 games.

Bourgault isn't doing much, true, but he is still young and figuring out the pro league with a so so 5-9-14 in 35 games.
Broberg is D+5, has had ample NHL looks and appears to be a #7 AHL/type. Not a scoring player, not a strong defender, not a good puck mover and not a heavy type. Dude's value is that of a B- prospect. 3rd round pick value if trying to trade for futures (unlikely of course).

Holloway is another guy that hasn't shown anything at the NHL level. Bottom six player without a bottom six mindset. I wouldn't be shocked if he got a Lias Anderson type return, but another guy that, if traded for futures (and no reason why Oilers do this) would fetch a 3rd.

Bourgault looks like a missed pick. Quite a few of those at the 2021 draft.

Throwing any of these guys into a trade isn't a base. It's filler in lieu of Oilers adding those 2nd and 3rd round picks to the base of any deal for a player that Oilers do want (2nd line wing or #5 defender types).

So you'd see something like Lindholm for 2024 1st + Holloway + Brogerg. To me... That's Lindholm for a 1st + two 3rds (proxy). But two younger guys closer to NHL ready of course. Not that the Oilers need Lindholm, just making a trade that makes sense value wise. I suspect the Oilers would look to add a Tanev before a Lindholm. There I'd do something like 2024 1st + Bourgault for Tanev. That's more like a proxy for 1st + a 4th rounder for Tanev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad