Confirmed with Link: [EDM/OTT] Oilers Acquire Eric Gryba For 107th & Travis Ewanyk

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I miss Sutton, he was alot more skilled then I would have thought prior to coming to the Oilers.
Agree. Sutton was a guy I never expected to like but ended up really appreciating. Every team can use an Andy Sutton.
Guy knew his knees were shot and that he was literally playing on his last legs in Edmonton, yet I never once saw him turn in a less than full out performance. Not that he was good all the time, but I just loved the way that man played the game. Made the Canucks his personal ***** every time we played them. :nod:

He was also mean and a little crazy.
And that's why every team can use an Andy Sutton. Funny guy too.
If Gryba is anything close to Sutton then I'm well satisfied with this trade.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Agree. Sutton was a guy I never expected to like but ended up really appreciating. Every team can use an Andy Sutton.
Guy knew his knees were shot and that he was literally playing on his last legs in Edmonton, yet I never once saw him turn in a less than full out performance. Not that he was good all the time, but I just loved the way that man played the game. Made the Canucks his personal ***** every time we played them.

And that's why every team can use an Andy Sutton. Funny guy too.

I'll never forget some of Andy Sutton's random dangles. The dude made some extremely skilled plays one in a while which was hilarious from a guy like him. #areyouanexpert

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I'll never forget some of Andy Sutton's random dangles. The dude made some extremely skilled plays one in a while which was hilarious from a guy like him. #areyouanexpert
I know. I just spent fifteen minutes trying to find a video of at least one of his amazing dangles. Couldn't find any. :(

hemskysuncle

Nov 2, 2007
Gryba is a bit like Matt Greene. Sometimes we will be very happy to have him there because he is like a rock, and other times we will think he is a total blockhead. I think with the right coaching he can eliminate the dumb giveaways or penalties and can be extremely useful.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

yup, i remember him dangling by his forward check as he rushed from the point towards the net...then he did a Dougie like pivot in mid stride like Dougie used to do and faked the d out then reversed his pivot making it seem like he was just going to circle...then dished a sweet back hand pass to ebs i believe was the receiver. the pivotting in full flight was what stunned me.

then there were a few nice stick handling plays he made when he would come off the point and dangle a bit.
had decent hands for a guy labelled a grunt, and i think he genuinely liked playing with the young guys alot. it seemed to me that he normally tried that stuff when one of the young guys was on the ice. kind of a "show me your moves"thing they had going on.

i can appreciate guys like sutton...even guys like ulanov. it really comes down to whether the coach uses players properly.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Gryba isnt really a mean type of player. Hes more a guy who says im big and lack puck skills so every 20 games i have to show i can be big.

Sutton wanted to hurt people. Gryba doesnt want to do that. Hasnt been like that since Eller

Gryba is more a positionally solid defenseman who is good at clearing the crease but sometimes makes bad reads.

Gryba has 5 fights in his nhl career by comparison his partner had 13 this year in 60 games. Boro is more a physical insane beast who hits to hurt. Gryba is more the guy who stays back when Boro tries to break someones rib cage

Think of Gryba as a defensive dman who is decent at that. Not a 3rd pairing goon or super physical presense.

Last edited:

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Gryba is a bit like Matt Greene. Sometimes we will be very happy to have him there because he is like a rock, and other times we will think he is a total blockhead. I think with the right coaching he can eliminate the dumb giveaways or penalties and can be extremely useful.
I've watched him closely and he is nowhere near as bad as his haters profess. His strength is in the defensive zone corners and in front of the net. His success in the corners is often attributed to puck supporting forwards or a partner who positions properly. He's going to get possession much of the time. Whether it gets out is up to the other players being ready to get deep when there's a strong forecheck. Cameron's system on Ottawa had that support because most teams forechecked two deep on him and Boro. The fighting part not great.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
I find his bad rep by some on Sens boards is more hyperbole than fact. Yes he's only 5-7th d man in the league and yes he's going to give you a face palm moment at least once a week. He has great upside though. Uses his height and size well, is fairly reliable and can land some beauty on your feet hits.

Be patient though, he may take time to adapt to his new team.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
As a side note, disappointing that Ewanyk did not work out. One of the few ex oil kings I thought was a good pick and would end up being a contribute down the road.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
at least we know that Chia is familiar with Gryba from his Sens days

but I count 4 bottom pairing d-man in this roster now
Ference
Nikitin
Gryba
Reinhart

hope they bury Nikitin and Ference is the 7th d-man

UFA-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Reinhart-Gryba

Ference

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Most Oiler fans were glad to see Petry and Gilbert leave too. Of course, Gryba is no Petry/Gilbert (and not in a good way)

Toronto did well...they got a potential top 4 NHL dman in Marincin for nothing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
yeah I can't believe we ditched marincin - he really looked like he just needed more games and he would develop into a decent dman.

I hear you.
I also dont buy this narrative that the only way the Oilers get Gryba is by trading Marinicn for a useless draft pick first.

Last edited:

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
As a side note, disappointing that Ewanyk did not work out. One of the few ex oil kings I thought was a good pick and would end up being a contribute down the road.

I'm the complete opposite. He was completely invisible every Oil Kings game I went to. Guys like Foster,Legault and Moroz would outshine him tenfold every game in two way play. I'm pretty sure Foster and Legault didn't even get drafted either but I could be wrong.

-NoGoal-

Aug 15, 2006
yup, i remember him dangling by his forward check as he rushed from the point towards the net...then he did a Dougie like pivot in mid stride like Dougie used to do and faked the d out then reversed his pivot making it seem like he was just going to circle...then dished a sweet back hand pass to ebs i believe was the receiver. the pivotting in full flight was what stunned me.

then there were a few nice stick handling plays he made when he would come off the point and dangle a bit.
had decent hands for a guy labelled a grunt, and i think he genuinely liked playing with the young guys alot. it seemed to me that he normally tried that stuff when one of the young guys was on the ice. kind of a "show me your moves"thing they had going on.

i can appreciate guys like sutton...even guys like ulanov. it really comes down to whether the coach uses players properly.

Sutton was a good reminder that in the NHL, all of these guys are EXTREMELY skilled. Even guys like Paul Bissonette are really darn good hockey players.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Why would he live with someone else? I hear this kind of stuff all the time, but I would think that he could afford his own place? Or is it some weird canadian thing?

They get fed well. Clean sheets and laundry. Clean bathroom. Advice and company.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton

You are not an expert ;)

Gryba does add some grit to the back end, but could easily be exposed my some more skilled players or lines.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
LOL MM is better than EG. Not even close now. Maybe in the future but we got better today. All you guys moaning about the MM trade are the same group that moans about not getting better...NOW.

We are better today with Gryba, he will help alot more next season then MM would have.

Maybe in the future yeah we lost the trade, same with GR but today we are better from both moves...

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
LOL MM is better than EG. Not even close now. Maybe in the future but we got better today. All you guys moaning about the MM trade are the same group that moans about not getting better...NOW.

We are better today with Gryba, he will help alot more next season then MM would have.

Maybe in the future yeah we lost the trade, same with GR but today we are better from both moves...

How the hell are we better with Gryba? We have a guy who is passive and doesn't play with the same meanness that he had shown pre-Eller hit, as stated by Ottawa fans on their and this board. He's slow and takes dumb penalties and is a #7 on a good team.

LOL, we're better today..

We should probably slot him in the top pairing, eh?

McDeathbyCheerios*

How the hell are we better with Gryba? We have a guy who is passive and doesn't play with the same meanness that he had shown pre-Eller hit, as stated by Ottawa fans on their and this board. He's slow and takes dumb penalties and is a #7 on a good team.

LOL, we're better today..

We should probably slot him in the top pairing, eh?
Well I mean Gryba actually made a good NHL team. Marincin struggled to stay on ours and struggles in the Ahl too.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Well I mean Gryba actually made a good NHL team. Marincin struggled to stay on ours and struggles in the Ahl too.

As the 6th man. You're completely right in what you're saying here, but I'm sick of the "made that team, so he should make our team better."

If we're trying to get better now, then we shouldn't be settling a 6th d-man elsewhere playing #3 here, which has been the case forever.

McDeathbyCheerios*

As the 6th man. You're completely right in what you're saying here, but I'm sick of the "made that team, so he should make our team better."

If we're trying to get better now, then we shouldn't be settling a 6th d-man elsewhere playing #3 here, which has been the case forever.
Oh I agree but I guarantee that Gryba was grabbed for the bottom pairing and to have a dman that can actually lay a good hit. I doubt he sees top 4 time unless there is an injury during a game.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Oh I agree but I guarantee that Gryba was grabbed for the bottom pairing and to have a dman that can actually lay a good hit. I doubt he sees top 4 time unless there is an injury during a game.

How many bottom pairing d-men do we have now? Ference, Fayne (on a good team), Gryba, Schultz (he's just not top 4 and shouldn't handle those minutes against hard comps).. Basically everyone but Klefbom, which is sad considering 15/16 will be his second full season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad