Confirmed with Link: [EDM/OTT] Oilers Acquire Eric Gryba For 107th & Travis Ewanyk

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Moving out Marincin for Gryba? I really dig this move from an Oiler standpoint.
It is a slight decrease in talent. Gryba is not the defenceman Marincin is. And Marincin isn't much of a defenceman.
But I love what it MEANS, you dig?
Okay, Marincin is a more or less capable defenceman, I grant you, but there are times when I felt revolted watching him play. He has all the heart of a block of cheese. He is passive. He is the type of person who watches a wild fire rage instead of running for a bucket of water.

Gryba though, Gryba seems like the type who would try to knock out the fire with his bare fists. He plays with passion, he tries, he puts in an effort, and yeah, once in a while he will hammer someone, and bring some energy to the game. That's the type of player the Oilers specifically need right now. Someone to make the fans stand and roar again over a big hit, someone to change the tone of the game. How long has it been since we have had that consistently?

Enough with these cold-blooded players like Marincin. I will take Gryba's heat nine times out of ten.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Lots of overreactions in here... Jesus

just cause they arent acquiring dmen who have big flashy numbers doesnt mean they arent good... they are acquiring ACTUAL DEFENSEMEN who can play DEFENSE.

Reinhart is also 21 for christ sakes. 21. He has 17 years ahead of him. Like crap.
Gryba is what the Oilers were severely lacking last year and that was a big tough dman who can do his job on the back end. He'll be a fine bottom pairing guy.

I fully expect Reinhart to be a god 2nd pairing guy. And there's still lots of solid UFA dmen out there, and Oilers have a TON of space. Who's to say OIlers wont get one of Franson/Green/Beauchemin/Martin/Ehrhoff/Michalek/Oduya?

Chill out. 3 months to go. You got Connor ****ing McDavid and a goalie whos better than the 2 POS they had last year lol.

This.
We came away from the draft with MacJ. Rein. A goalie with potential. An actual Dman from Ottawa and gave up some picks and Marincin. Seems like we did pretty well to me.
Are you guys expecting us to land Seabrook, Webber, Subban? And not give up anything important?

Last edited by a moderator:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
This.
We came away from the draft with MacJ. Rein. A goalie with potential. An actual Dman from Ottawa and gave up some picks and Marincin. Seems like we did pretty well to me.
Are you guys expecting us to land Seabrook, Webber, Subban? And not give up anything important?

Yes, we basically got Reinhart, Talbot and Gryba for 1st, two 2nds and Marincin (like bad Marincin, not Marincin from 2 years ago).
The odds of getting similar players with the said draft picks are probably not that great and would take 3-5 years in the best case scenario. One or two of the 2nd rounder could bust or turn into Musil and there is no guarantee 16th overall would end up better than Reinhart, much less than Renhart, Talbot and Gryba.

Last edited by a moderator:

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Yes, we basically got Reinhart, Talbot and Gryba for 1st, two 2nds and Marincin (like bad Marincin, not Marincin from 2 years ago).
The odds of getting similar players with the said draft picks are probably not that great and would take 3-5 years in the best case scenario. One or two of the 2nd rounder could bust or turn into Musil and there is no guarantee 16th overall would end up better than Reinhart, much less than Renhart, Talbot and Gryba.

Exactly. None of the picks may have panned out. Rein wont be Webber but at least he has a couple of years development under his belt. Oilers fans LOVED him in his draft year and after. Now he is a bum? Dmen usually are no good until they play 2-300 games.
Frankly I think Oilers fans including myself need to enroll in a 12 step program. We are addicted to draft picks! The newest shiny toy.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Moving out Marincin for Gryba? I really dig this move from an Oiler standpoint.
It is a slight decrease in talent. Gryba is not the defenceman Marincin is. And Marincin isn't much of a defenceman.
But I love what it MEANS, you dig?
Okay, Marincin is a more or less capable defenceman, I grant you, but there are times when I felt revolted watching him play. He has all the heart of a block of cheese. He is passive. He is the type of person who watches a wild fire rage instead of running for a bucket of water.

Gryba though, Gryba seems like the type who would try to knock out the fire with his bare fists. He plays with passion, he tries, he puts in an effort, and yeah, once in a while he will hammer someone, and bring some energy to the game. That's the type of player the Oilers specifically need right now. Someone to make the fans stand and roar again over a big hit, someone to change the tone of the game. How long has it been since we have had that consistently?

Enough with these cold-blooded players like Marincin. I will take Gryba's heat nine times out of ten.

good post, i'm a big Marincin fan and hate the return we got for him but i'm not ******** over it.

we added something we needed in Gryba, we got the best or one of the top Goalies available who is the best bet for a starter we have had. and added Reinhart who has great potential to be a quality top4 dman for us. all for picks and Marincin.

we are looking good going forward and i bet we get a dman from UFA, meanwhile lots of cap room next year and its looking like it could be quite a good UFA year to land another dman if we still need one.

this has been an amazing offseason for us with all the changes from management to acquisitions i even loved our draft with the limited late picks we used. this has been night and day compared to what we were expecting with MacT's not wanting to move assets to improve as we weren't at that stage and expect another development year.

ps... we got McDavid

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I thought Fistric brought an element this team really needed and still needs. I hope Gryba can bring it too.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
I think I'll just chill until July 1. Then we'll see what the new management is made of.

Drafted BPA very high, added a few expected lower pairing D and a promising but backup goalie, not to mention swung and missed at the draft for a better player they really needed.

So far the "new" management hasn't convinced me that they're not still the previous ones. Who are still here, but this time, no really this time, they're not the ones making the decisions.

Hongolia

Jul 1, 2006
I know theres still question marks, but its not like we really had much for trade assets to completely revamp our D. People overrated all of our picks in this draft after McDavid, and unfortunately we didn't have horseshoes up our ***** like Calgary.

We did just win the McDavid sweepstakes!

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Hi oil fans. Just want to say Gryba is a decent defender at being a sponge for defensive zone starts so other dmen can play in the ozone but please dont get the idea hes going to be kicking other players butts. I feel like it would be similar to what happened when Sabres fans demanded justice for Miller and had Gaustad fight Lucic. Gryba is a solid dman at defense but is somewhat error prone. For his size he is not a great fighter and he seems somewhat mentally fragile. He was never quite the same player after the eller hit. He became a more passive player. Theres also a interviews where after a bad game or discussing eller he had trouble making eye contact so his eyes are darting around left and right.

He makes bone head reads sometimes but hes pretty good defensively and has a pretty damn good slap shot although he never uses it. He had a very good one timer for his first NHL goal. He beat up Aulie pretty good and stepped in for Neil after Aulie laid Neil out. Aside from all this he did play top pairing the season karlsson went down and provide passable play but progressively got worse. His bread and butter is the pk but unfortunately he takes a lot of bad penalties that are not always related to physical play but obstruction

A few reasons some sens fans are happy he gone
-Turnover in the playoff in OT that made us lose to montreal
-This move is directly related to AHL dman of the year Chris Wideman re-signing. Wideman can skate. We want better skaters. Had we not moved a dman Wideman would not re-sign
-Gryba taking dumb penalties
-Gryba being error prone on a defense thats bad. Have to blame someone
-Gryba masscring tons of ducks and posting pictures of them jk but hes sort of percieved as redneckish

As for someone who says Gryba plays with passion..Not really.... Gryba has become pretty timid but hes actually respectable defensively. Boro is the type of dman who plays with passion. To many nights it seemed Gryba could be a scape goat because he took a bad pentalty in the game and they scored on the pp or he had that one bad turnover.

Some hope though... Gryba had a very good playoffs relative to his team and his role. Him and Boro allowed Wier to play very well in sheltered situations.

Gryba did trash talk a bit this year which was something he didnt do last year

One last note. He excelled in the past when paired with puck movers. Him and Wier were a dominant AHL pairing. Metho who is an underrated puck mover and his were a top pairing

Read some comments there seem to be some misperceived notions. Gryba does not look for hits. He will hit someone super hard but its rare. He doesnt have the skating ability to line up hits consistently. More often he chooses to stay in the proper position and cover using his reach. He also isnt dirty. He doesnt look to injure people. Obviously people will think of the Eller hit and Hall collision...those arent good representations of how Gryba plays. Gryba going for a hit at the opponents blue line is super rare. He more hits along the board or when pinching

Last edited:

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
He drove us nuts with his penalties in the playoffs at the worst times, but he is a very solid PK'er, solid in front of the net, big strong and willing to help clear the front, best he can. He does lay some solid hits, but like a lot of guys these days, I don't think he knows the diff between a legal hit and a suspension hit, its such a narrow line... I liked him as a 6th d-man, or 7th.... can bring some grit.. Hope he gets more confidence playing with all the EDM skill guys.... I don't know if he'll stand up for them physically , but he might, wait and see....

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Hi oil fans. Just want to say Gryba is a decent defender at being a sponge for defensive zone starts so other dmen can play in the ozone but please dont get the idea hes going to be kicking other players butts. I feel like it would be similar to what happened when Sabres fans demanded justice for Miller and had Gaustad fight Lucic. Gryba is a solid dman at defense but is somewhat error prone. For his size he is not a great fighter and he seems somewhat mentally fragile. He was never quite the same player after the eller hit. He became a more passive player. Theres also a interviews where after a bad game or discussing eller he had trouble making eye contact so his eyes are darting around left and right.

He makes bone head reads sometimes but hes pretty good defensively and has a pretty damn good slap shot although he never uses it. He had a very good one timer for his first NHL goal. He beat up Aulie pretty good and stepped in for Neil after Aulie laid Neil out. Aside from all this he did play top pairing the season karlsson went down and provide passable play but progressively got worse. His bread and butter is the pk but unfortunately he takes a lot of bad penalties that are not always related to physical play but obstruction

A few reasons some sens fans are happy he gone
-Turnover in the playoff in OT that made us lose to montreal
-This move is directly related to AHL dman of the year Chris Wideman re-signing. Wideman can skate. We want better skaters. Had we not moved a dman Wideman would not re-sign
-Gryba taking dumb penalties
-Gryba being error prone on a defense thats bad. Have to blame someone
-Gryba masscring tons of ducks and posting pictures of them jk but hes sort of percieved as redneckish

As for someone who says Gryba plays with passion..Not really.... Gryba has become pretty timid but hes actually respectable defensively. Boro is the type of dman who plays with passion. To many nights it seemed Gryba could be a scape goat because he took a bad pentalty in the game and they scored on the pp or he had that one bad turnover.

Some hope though... Gryba had a very good playoffs relative to his team and his role. Him and Boro allowed Wier to play very well in sheltered situations.

Gryba did trash talk a bit this year which was something he didnt do last year

One last note. He excelled in the past when paired with puck movers. Him and Wier were a dominant AHL pairing. Metho who is an underrated puck mover and his were a top pairing

Read some comments there seem to be some misperceived notions. Gryba does not look for hits. He will hit someone super hard but its rare. He doesnt have the skating ability to line up hits consistently. More often he chooses to stay in the proper position and cover using his reach. He also isnt dirty. He doesnt look to injure people. Obviously people will think of the Eller hit and Hall collision...those arent good representations of how Gryba plays. Gryba going for a hit at the opponents blue line is super rare. He more hits along the board or when pinching
Gryba is a redneck he makes no bone about hunting and fishing being a passion. Many sens fans must have been PETA card holding members. He's not flashy BUT he is effective. When you only watch for errors you do not see the good plays he makes. Ottawa s defensive game just took a hit. Offensive numbers are not good but he usually changed coming out of the O zone to let the Norris winner on the ice. Great move for Gryba very Good move for EDM.
Thank goodness these few fans were not coaching. Hed have never seen the ice. Very funny that moronic fans would blame 1 turnover for the loss against Montreal. Maybe Ottawa didn't score enough. He and Boro were 95% defensive guys playing against top lines with defensive zone starts. Not sure what the fans expected..Karlsson type play?
I think HIS game will flourish in Edm.

Last edited:

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Gryba isn't the defender from Ottawa that I wanted (Weircoch) but he is definitely a more useful piece to the Oilers than Marincin has been lately.

So who is next? Sekera?

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
He drove us nuts with his penalties in the playoffs at the worst times, but he is a very solid PK'er, solid in front of the net, big strong and willing to help clear the front, best he can. He does lay some solid hits, but like a lot of guys these days, I don't think he knows the diff between a legal hit and a suspension hit, its such a narrow line... I liked him as a 6th d-man, or 7th.... can bring some grit.. Hope he gets more confidence playing with all the EDM skill guys.... I don't know if he'll stand up for them physically , but he might, wait and see....

I imagine he will if he wants to stay in the NHL. Thanks for the run-down!

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Grybe can play 15 minutes a game and toss 2 or 3 hits a game.this is his role and knows it

Exactly. There's a reason we got him right after McQuaid signed. He's a bottom pairing dman, but he's going to make people hurt, clear the crease, and play PK. That's more useful than a guy like Marincin (although Marincin could still become better)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Grybe can play 15 minutes a game and toss 2 or 3 hits a game.this is his role and knows it

As long as he isnt elevated into a 4/5 role I have no issue with this trade.
IMO Grybas success (and ultimately the teams) depends entirely on who else Chia adds to the defence.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I miss Sutton, he was alot more skilled then I would have thought prior to coming to the Oilers.

He was also mean and a little crazy.

Haha, the also is very fitting. Don't forget that he seemed to have a leadership type of relationship with the guys in the room. He's the exact type of D-man we need right now, especially with Nurse likely coming into the league next season (god forbid).

Yeah, he had hands of silk and that's without embellishment.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Honestly Gryba played with a lot more bite before he put Eller into the hospital. I think hes afraid of doing that again. He looked so good that year he just has to find a way to recapture that magic and you guys will be very happy with him on your bottom pair.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Gryba is a guy I actually wanted for our bottom pairing so I have no bones about this. A guy his size that can play mean and has an underrated first pass is perfect for our bottom pair.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I liked all the moves minus the Marincin one but going into next season with Mcdavid, Reinhart, Talbot and Gryba definitely speeds up the rebuild process. Now I'll play devils advocate and if we didn't trade those picks we could have been walking out of the draft with Mcdavid, Svechnikov, Blackwood and Kylingon. Maybe that would have been the better choice in the long run but after 9 years of no playoffs and 5 "official" rebuild years are the fans prepared to wait for another 3-4 years? The right choice was made at the draft and I'm sure we'll add 2-3 more veteran pieces on July 1st and add one more veteran via trade during the summer.

Oct 10, 2010
I was probably one of the few who actually was okay with Gryba..

Sure, he's had some bad games turning over the puck or taking penalties at terrible times, but for the most part he knows and plays his role alright.

Gryba's biggest strength is no doubt his penalty killing and should help in that area for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad