GDT: EDM Oilers @ STL Blues 6pm CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
We basically have 4 AHL level players and a retread out there tonight against a very good offensive team. Kostin, Walman, Rosen, and Joshua really belong in the AHL, and Neal is trying his best, but that tank looks empty. I'll reserve judgement as to converting to tank-o-thon watch until we get all of our regulars back and I've celebrated Christmas.

agree with all this .... but

klim needs to stay , just give him a chance to play with sunny

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Chet Manly

Feb 25, 2015
Saint Louis
We are extremely fortunate to have Panger as a broadcaster. Some of you people are nuttier than squirrel shit :laugh:
When it comes to knowledge about players in the league, and just the sport in general, not many people can hang with Panger. That's why he gets invited to do so many national broadcasts

But his schtick can get a little tiresome.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
That last goal by Edmonton was brutal. Three guys fall asleep for a second and we get hung with an L.

Playoff races will be very tight all year. Blues fell from first place to barely in the playoffs because of two bad plays on the weekend.

Can't afford those mistakes. Not this year.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
agree with all this .... but

klim needs to stay , just give him a chance to play with sunny
I specifically focused on Kostin when he went over the boards last night to look at his positioning away from the puck and what he would do on the rush. Positionally, he looks lost out there. I'd say he was a floater, but I don't think he is, he just is either playing scared or over analyzing the play. He seems to not be playing the same North/South game he was playing over in the KHL where he was effective. There were several instances where he could have easily played the body and been physical, but he broke away from contact or stick checked. If he wants to excel at this level, he needs to use his size and speed effectively. He needs more work on his fundamentals and when paired with Joshua and Neil, that isn't the time to do that. Now, as you stated, when Sunny comes back, then he can make a few more learning mistakes and be covered. Time will tell.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
We are extremely fortunate to have Panger as a broadcaster. Some of you people are nuttier than squirrel shit :laugh:
I was out of town and had to watch the Preds announcers, anyone complaining about our guys needs to be sentenced to listen to them for a couple of games
ughhh
imagine the worst fake announcer, infomercial voice IN MONOTONE as a play by play guy, and apparently no knowledge of what is happening on the ice, although that part just may be because his announcing put me almost to sleep while watching a hockey game

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I specifically focused on Kostin when he went over the boards last night to look at his positioning away from the puck and what he would do on the rush. Positionally, he looks lost out there. I'd say he was a floater, but I don't think he is, he just is either playing scared or over analyzing the play. He seems to not be playing the same North/South game he was playing over in the KHL where he was effective. There were several instances where he could have easily played the body and been physical, but he broke away from contact or stick checked. If he wants to excel at this level, he needs to use his size and speed effectively. He needs more work on his fundamentals and when paired with Joshua and Neil, that isn't the time to do that. Now, as you stated, when Sunny comes back, then he can make a few more learning mistakes and be covered. Time will tell.
Kostin still needs a game off every 2-3 to watch. He gets lost the more he keeps playing.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
if sunny and schenn come back ... just think bozak /sunny/kostin on the 4th
I mentioned it in another thread, but i could see them sending kostin down to activate sunny. will need to go with 22 skaters (if my math is correct and it may not be) and he needs ice time. neal or cliffy can sit in press box.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
I mentioned it in another thread, but i could see them sending kostin down to activate sunny. will need to go with 22 skaters (if my math is correct and it may not be) and he needs ice time. neal or cliffy can sit in press box.
ya i aint got the numbers but if they do try to send him down ... i can see kostin going back to the khl ..... why would you go back down ? he won over there

RickedEm

Apr 26, 2016
STL
I might be in the minority but we lost to 2 of the top 5 teams in the league by one goal with a depleted roster. Was I happy with how the games ended? No. Was I surprised that it was so close? Yes. Play those games 100 times and they would be a treat to watch and probably be 50/50. We do need a few tweaks but at least we’re getting entertaining hockey to watch.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
ya i aint got the numbers but if they do try to send him down ... i can see kostin going back to the khl ..... why would you go back down ? he won over there
first, he can't go to khl without our permission as he is under contract. second, it wouldn't be forever. he needs to play and you could explain that to him. idea would be he would be back in a few weeks with more confidence and better game.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I might be in the minority but we lost to 2 of the top 5 teams in the league by one goal with a depleted roster. Was I happy with how the games ended? No. Was I surprised that it was so close? Yes. Play those games 100 times and they would be a treat to watch and probably be 50/50. We do need a few tweaks but at least we’re getting entertaining hockey to watch.

We probably win against the Canes if Binnington started and we get at least a point against the Oilers if Parayko could just once use his stick to tie up the guy in front of the net. We beat the Oilers if Parayko stays inside.

Reactions: Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
At this point, there is no excuse not to get another shut down D. We have plenty of pieces even if it means we have to trade some combination of a first rounder, Perunovich, Kostin, Barbashev, etc. You have to give to get in the league. Our D core needs major restructering and I'm glad we spotted this earlier in the season than closer to the trade deadline.
I know Perunovich isn't the type of player you're calling for, but I have a hard time seeing the club making a trade simultaneously with Perunovich getting called up (who most of us expect to see stick as a regular player). Maybe there is a creative way to make the pairings to mitigate the issues and exploit Perunovich's strengths. But its likely he'll start on the 3rd pairing and slide up after a while as he proves he can do it. We're mostly expecting him to be inadequate defensively, but perhaps he'll take a step forward there, too. I think the front office will want to see what he looks like before trying to force a trade before the deadline (which would be much more difficult than you're making it sound). Trade partners right now are going to be pretty thin, if its a player they think they can get a higher bid on closer to the deadline.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
There was a short stretch where Buch was on the ice with Thomas and Tarasenko and they were dominating. Filing that away.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
first, he can't go to khl without our permission as he is under contract. second, it wouldn't be forever. he needs to play and you could explain that to him. idea would be he would be back in a few weeks with more confidence and better game.
Clifford placed on waivers, so looks like this is moot. I would like to see Jason get more than 5 minutes/game.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Clifford placed on waivers, so looks like this is moot. I would like to see Jason get more than 5 minutes/game.
Ok, that's good. No offense to Clifford, but we need Kostin's energy and shit disturbing. He made a slick play last night to create a scoring chance for himself by being strong on the puck, protecting it with is body and great stick work (a la Perron) and forcing his way to the slot for a shot.

Well done!

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
We probably win against the Canes if Binnington started and we get at least a point against the Oilers if Parayko could just once use his stick to tie up the guy in front of the net. We beat the Oilers if Parayko stays inside.
We both called it. Parayko was caught watching the game on several occasions. A true #1 defenseman will not crack under pressure like Parayko has. Or maybe they do and I just haven't noticed.

I hope Perunovich is good-enough defensively, cuz that will take mucho pressure off Parayko and Scandella. Fauk has been excellent. Rosen is fine. Bortz has been really good.

Someone else said what I've been chiming on about; get a boring, solid 5-6 D guy and then waive Walman. Shit, Walman is gone as soon as Krug is back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reality Czech

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I know Perunovich isn't the type of player you're calling for, but I have a hard time seeing the club making a trade simultaneously with Perunovich getting called up (who most of us expect to see stick as a regular player). Maybe there is a creative way to make the pairings to mitigate the issues and exploit Perunovich's strengths. But its likely he'll start on the 3rd pairing and slide up after a while as he proves he can do it. We're mostly expecting him to be inadequate defensively, but perhaps he'll take a step forward there, too. I think the front office will want to see what he looks like before trying to force a trade before the deadline (which would be much more difficult than you're making it sound). Trade partners right now are going to be pretty thin, if its a player they think they can get a higher bid on closer to the deadline.
I agree with this. I want the Blues to get help on D as soon as possible, but moving too many parts simultaneously is potentially disastrous.

DA has to be scientific in his approach to solving the D issue by controlling as many variables as possible and then making precise moves, not wholesale moves. One problem with that is that we are not working all of our variables (regular players), which is why the FO appears to be a little slow.

DA has to be cautious.

Let's get Sunny, Schenn and Krug back and see how Perunovich fits in and then let's see if Mikkola can get his head out of his ass.

Then we will know what's up.

I will reiterate that Doug Armstrong needs to be his absolute most prudent Machiavelli.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reality Czech
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad