Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers re-sign Ryan Strome (2 years, $3.1M AAV)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm rooting for Strome. Always seemed like a mature and stand-up kid. The fact that he was so freaking good in his first full season leads me to believe there is still at least a chance he could develop into a 50-60 point guy in the right circumstance. Good cap # at the very least.

He has a good shot and good skills. If he could ever increase his speed and quickness he could still be a top 6 guy. In the meantime he's a bottom 6 guy that is rounding out his game and gives us some offense from the lower lines.

It was also several years of watching him shy away from contact, look lazy on the back check, and disappear in tight physical games. Eberle didn't do this when he first came into the league, but he has changed a lot as a player over the years. He used to drive the net consistently. Now he does it a few times per season.

Neither Hall nor Eberle were the players that they were last years with the Oilers in their final 2 seasons with us. There are no guarantees that they would've had the seasons that they did last season without the change of scenery and the kick in the ass that came from it.

And that’s what impressed me about him with NYI. He won battles on the boards, fought through checks, and drove the slot. I was actually surprised to see that after everything I read from Oil fans.

Good for him, the talent was always there, he also worked n his skating more than usual. It drives me nuts when you see a guy do that when he's dealt as he should've been doing it all along.

This thread is a reminder of "classic" hfboards. Before the Oilers traded Hall and Eberle, the rhetoric on here was that Hall is terrible and won't get a huge return and that Eberle has negative value. So Chia trades both of them for inferior players, then hfboards erupts with Chia is terrible. So which is it?
I honestly think Chia is fairly bad. Probably one of the worst at trading. But when it comes to Hall, he finally hit his full potential this last season in New Jersey. Did Chia jump the gun and give up on him to quickly? Hindsight says yes. With Eberle, I don't think Chia made a mistake. What he got for Eberle is probably the same as he would get if he held onto him until now. Eberle is a good player, but he is the type of player winning teams try to avoid. He doesn't bring much to the table besides great hands and above average offensive production.

Hall was trending downward with us as well. I think the trade opened his eyes a bit and helped him to reach his potential. Had Eberle had another poor year for us we'd be in a tougher spot to move him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-jordan-eberle-nhl-playoffs/

https://thehockeywriters.com/jordan-eberle-scoring-issues/

Jordan Eberle and several Edmonton Oilers need to produce more on offence to defeat the Anaheim Ducks

Eberle's performance in the playoffs was a complete embarassment. Everyone was hoping he would rekindle his clutch World Junior mode, but he was passive and weak and played like he iust didn't care.

What do you do with a $6million player who mailed in effort in the playoffs?? His first playoffs ever after 6 years of futility???

No Oiler fan misses Eberle. He should have been healthy scratched for the playoffs.

I disagree with the "didn't care" part. He definitely cared, and he definitely tried. He just couldn't get anything done.

Reactions: Aerrol

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I disagree with the "didn't care" part. He definitely cared, and he definitely tried. He just couldn't get anything done.
He dogged the effort on backchecking, and would skate to the bench in slow motion.

Guys who care put in this thing called 'effort'. Guys who care will skate into dirty areas, take a hit to make a play, crash the net, play with urgency and hustle.

He floated around the perimetre, dumped the pucks to avoid getting hit, and never even tried to get into the slot. Can't even say he won a single board battle.

In the playoffs is when players like him need to block shots, and sacrifice to win.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
a 60 point player at 6 mil is a "cap dump" trade? Figure it out dude you're way off.
Chiarelli has literally said it was a cap dump trade on the record...
The fact that you think the trade was stupid (I agree) doesn't change the fact it was a standard cap dump trade.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I enjoy railing on Chia as much as the next guy, but this is fair value for a 30-40 point C. I hope Strome can keep improving, and pray that we have decent PP coaching now. He really should be useful on the 2nd unit, but no one was useful on an Oilers PP last year.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I enjoy railing on Chia as much as the next guy, but this is fair value for a 30-40 point C. I hope Strome can keep improving, and pray that we have decent PP coaching now. He really should be useful on the 2nd unit, but no one was useful on an Oilers PP last year.

Possible the trade was a win win?

Sounds like both players needed a change of scenery

Reactions: KarmaPolice

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Possible the trade was a win win?

Sounds like both players needed a change of scenery

Don't think you can go that far :) Chia sold low, and his 8.5-9M of cap space going into the 17/18 season made it clear he sold prematurely as well.

Just looking at the present though, this is a rare non-overpay by Chia IMO. Strome is still a useful hockey player and should he able to help give the Oilers a solid 3rd line.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Don't think you can go that far :) Chia sold low, and his 8.5-9M of cap space going into the 17/18 season made it clear he sold prematurely as well.

Just looking at the present though, this is a rare non-overpay by Chia IMO. Strome is still a useful hockey player and should he able to help give the Oilers a solid 3rd line.

Agree with this... I'm fine with Strome... anyway he's here now. But I can't help but think we could have had a better player if we'd held Ebs for another year... we sold low and didn't use the cap space saved... and missed the playoffs. Are these things all related? From the armchair they appear to be.

I can't help but feel that the trade was made based on emotion... someone in the brass was upset with the lack of scoring from Ebs in the playoffs and he was a goner. I personally thought Ebs played very well in the playoffs EXCEPT for the two glaring errors leading to goals in the final minutes of that ANA game. [shudders]

Readytostart

Feb 19, 2016
I can't find the link, but I read today on TSN or Sportsnet that he has had eye problems in the past that he has been working on this summer. Hopefully this helps him turn into closer to the player he was expected to be. So far, all the Stromes have disappointed.....

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I can't find the link, but I read today on TSN or Sportsnet that he has had eye problems in the past that he has been working on this summer. Hopefully this helps him turn into closer to the player he was expected to be. So far, all the Stromes have disappointed.....
Here's a quote from the article by Strome....
"Theoretically the idea is to instead of kind of be guessing where the puck could be by your vision not being up to par," Strome said.
"Hopefully it can make things a little bit easier and your instincts can take over and your brain knows what you're doing."
I'm not sure if what he said makes sense the way he said it, but from what I believe he's trying to say, he's essentially trying to improve his offensive instincts. If he's successful that could really be something.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Here's a quote from the article by Strome....

I'm not sure if what he said makes sense the way he said it, but from what I believe he's trying to say, he's essentially trying to improve his offensive instincts. If he's successful that could really be something.

Has his skating improved at all? Because I think that would have a bigger impact on his game than this.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Has his skating improved at all? Because I think that would have a bigger impact on his game than this.
To be honest, it's really never seemed like a significant problem for him in Edmonton. If he was a winger it might be more noticeable. But the Oilers intend on having him in that 3C slot and he's not really prone to getting caught deep in the O zone.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
To be honest, it's really never seemed like a significant problem for him in Edmonton. If he was a winger it might be more noticeable. But the Oilers intend on having him in that 3C slot and he's not really prone to getting caught deep in the O zone.

I always thought Strome needed big crash and bang wingers to be most effective. He actually made Matt Martin and Colin McDonald look good when he centered them for a stretch during his early years with the Isles.

Is he relied on for zone entries? His lack of skating ability seemed to hinder him in that aspect because you can't count on dangling to enter the zone all the time. If his wingers can open up space and time, he has the playmaking ability to do some damage.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I always thought Strome needed big crash and bang wingers to be most effective. He actually made Matt Martin and Colin McDonald look good when he centered them for a stretch during his early years with the Isles.

Is he relied on for zone entries? His lack of skating ability seemed to hinder him in that aspect because you can't count on dangling to enter the zone all the time. If his wingers can open up space and time, he has the playmaking ability to do some damage.
He actually had some good chemistry with Lucic late last season. And Khaira might just be the guy he's next to for a significant chunk of the season, so the crash and bang wingers are like'y in the cards for the guy.

As for zone entries, I've never really noticed one way or another to be honest. We do have some speed on the wings and a lot of our entries particularly in the bottom six comes from chip and chase. McLellan's system tends to rely a lot on the cycle and it's something Strome seems to excel with considering that ability to move the puck effectively.

The fact that Strome is still working on improving key aspects of his game gives me optimism that we haven't seen his best hockey yet.

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad