Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NYR] Ryan Strome for Ryan Spooner

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
with the value of the trade, I'd give it a solid 9/10.
At $4M and the fact we had to salvage the Spooner situation, this isn't an all world steal or anything but can't really complain about a productive smart player pulling his weight.

1-1-2 for Spooner in 16 GP with NYR this season
2-1-3 for Spooner in 23 GP with EDM

1-1-2 for Strome in 18 GP with EDM this season
6-5-11 for Strome in 26GP with NYR this season

His overall game is also light years ahead of Spooner, his versatility to play pretty much anywhere and the fact that he’s a RFA at the end of his contract makes it a huge win

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
with the value of the trade, I'd give it a solid 9/10.
At $4M and the fact we had to salvage the Spooner situation, this isn't an all world steal or anything but can't really complain about a productive smart player pulling his weight.

1-1-2 for Spooner in 16 GP with NYR this season
2-1-3 for Spooner in 23 GP with EDM

1-1-2 for Strome in 18 GP with EDM this season
6-5-11 for Strome in 26GP with NYR this season
How did you guys unlock his offensive game? Has he been 3c?

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
How is Strome doing in his new home? On a scale of 1 to 10 where would you rank your happiness with this trade?
Like an 8. He's fine! Kind of fades into the background sometimes, like the other two jack of all trades character-y guys Vesey and Namestnikov. But I think all three of them are good candidates to hang around the roster through the rebuild. I think a lot of his points are as the right-hand shot on the PP. The Rangers only barely have lines.

Does Spooner get any McDavid time? I didn't feel like his scoring here under AV was "real," but I was still happy with the big extension when he signed it. Team doesn't have enough skill, take a chance on a guy with some skill.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
How did you guys unlock his offensive game? Has he been 3c?

He’s been all over the place. He was 3C tonight. The thing that has seemed to have changed is that he’s moving his feet much more now to the point that he is creating some separation for himself. He wasn’t doing that right after he came over. He looks comfortable in this system and he has been a valuable PKer

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Like an 8. He's fine! Kind of fades into the background sometimes, like the other two jack of all trades character-y guys Vesey and Namestnikov. But I think all three of them are good candidates to hang around the roster through the rebuild. I think a lot of his points are as the right-hand shot on the PP. The Rangers only barely have lines.

Does Spooner get any McDavid time? I didn't feel like his scoring here under AV was "real," but I was still happy with the big extension when he signed it. Team doesn't have enough skill, take a chance on a guy with some skill.

I think he's played 2 or 3 games in our top 6, wasn't effective.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Despite being a 5.5 year vet, Strome is still just a 25 year old.

He’ll never live up to where he was drafted. But he still had upside. Where not talking about a talentless workhorse here like Betts and Ortmeyer. Strome has talent. Limited, but evident.

Great asset management from Gorton with his he handled the Nash trade + Spooner. Strome actually knows how to play hockey. The fact that he’s a great locker room guy is just icing on the cake.

Reactions: Ola and egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think he’s a fit for Quinn’s system, and he’s a guy who kind of understands what his role and range is.

In that environment, and without 20 goal and 50 point expectations, you have a player who has an opportunity to carve out a niche for himself.
Exactly. He fits the system. He is responsible and smart. And he has decent hands. He’s a good player. He kind of reminds me of Jesper Fast. Not in their respective skills but just how he fits on a team. Can do anything. He’s probably a bit over paid but I’d love to have him back on a third liner’s salary.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Strome has ugly analytics, but who is he playing with? Sort of all over the place.

Most common linemate is Howden. I don't wanna be mean to Howden, but I don't think it's unfair to say he's literally an AHL player playing in the NHL. He's 20, and that's not his fault.

Strome passes the eye test for me. I think he's an NHL player.

Good on the Rangers for identifying an NHL player and acquiring him for basically nothing.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Edmonton traded Eberle for Strome and expected Strome to put up similar numbers. The Rangers traded Spooner for Strome and hoped that Strome would put up better numbers. The latter placed much less expectations on Strome and it shouldn't be surprising to anyone that he has done a better job of fulfilling those expectations.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Despite being a 5.5 year vet, Strome is still just a 25 year old.

He’ll never live up to where he was drafted. But he still had upside. Where not talking about a talentless workhorse here like Betts and Ortmeyer. Strome has talent. Limited, but evident.

Great asset management from Gorton with his he handled the Nash trade + Spooner. Strome actually knows how to play hockey. The fact that he’s a great locker room guy is just icing on the cake.
It’s asset management like this that good franchises pull off regularly. I’m hopeful we see more of these moves. Not really a “Ranger thing” historically but definitely key to a good run. Turn throw-ins into viable trade chips and draft picks, and prosper!

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
the Strome deal reminds of signing Stralman,
(don't waste cycles going bonkers dissecting the comparison)

NYR saw a guy who could be a contributing regular,
whose cost happened to be real low at a particular moment

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad