Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NYR] Oilers acquire Ryan Spooner in exchange for Ryan Strome (NYR retains 900k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Basically all my fears from this trade have come true so far.

The third line got worse. Marody isn't ready. They're going to stunt his development if they keep this up.

It doesn't matter if Spooner scores(and he hasn't), he won't increase secondary scoring. Any points he gets will be completely offset by all the goals against.

By my eye Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian is the new 3rd line and Brodz is tried and true in that position and Hitch has familiarity with the player. This leaves the 4th line with Khaira and eventually Chiasson or Kassian when Puljujarvi returns.

Khaira-Marody-Chiasson would be a solid NHL line. If Marody fails there then you call up Malone and put him there or you call up Benson and move Khaira to center.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Spooner's size, number, and skating style sort of reminds of Linus Omark at times :D
He had a pretty good 2nd and 3rd period last night, which was good to see because I was not seeing much before that.
To be fair to Spooner, he is a much better skater than Omark ever was. The -4 bs in two games needs to stop pdq though.

Reactions: North

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
After three games, I'm really not a fan of this trade. But I want to see Spooner on the top line with 97 and 29 before declaring this guy dead weight. He's got hands and speed. If he can play a simple game, he could end up being a rich man's Patrick Maroon.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Spooner's size, number, and skating style sort of reminds of Linus Omark at times :D
He had a pretty good 2nd and 3rd period last night, which was good to see because I was not seeing much before that.

The Omark comparison is apt in almost every way. Small weak forward with some dimestore tricks that has trouble scoring at the NHL level and that is holy hellfire in chances against and goals against.

Spooner has often been granted 60% ozone starts and he still bleeds.

The way he looks I think he's almost ready to give up. Seems despondent most of the time on the bench and on the ice often gives up even trying to cover. This is a player maybe a dozen games removed from being gone from the NHL if he doesn't turn this around quick.

Its last chance saloon, chances are he's not getting lucky, and the keg is dry.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
After three games, I'm really not a fan of this trade. But I want to see Spooner on the top line with 97 and 29 before declaring this guy dead weight. He's got hands and speed. If he can play a simple game, he could end up being a rich man's Patrick Maroon.

I just barfed.

Cagg is playing well right now. Why would we do that? Just to help Spoonfed?

Its not happening. More chance in Hitch world that Spooner gets a kick in the arse for his half hearted play than being rewarded with two great players in a plum assignment. In fairness I can say that this season Cagg has certainly worked for this and not looking too out of place. The line is hot right now. No changes required.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I just barfed.

Cagg is playing well right now. Why would we do that? Just to help Spoonfed?

Its not happening. More chance in Hitch world that Spooner gets a kick in the arse for his half hearted play than being rewarded with two great players in a plum assignment. In fairness I can say that this season Cagg has certainly worked for this and not looking too out of place. The line is hot right now. No changes required.
I agree with no changes now. Caggiula is knocking it out of the park. But things ultimately do change. I think this may have been a consideration when the trade was being discussed. Which only makes the fact that Strome and McDavid was hardly ever a thing even more frustrating.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Am I the only one who was really impressed by Spooner last night? He used his speed well, and got involved physically. He seems like a pretty good fit with Nuge. They just need a big, right handed trigger man to complete the line (literally the thought that went through my head last night without even thinking Pulju :laugh:)

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Anyone complaining about this trade is just complaining to complain about something. Strome was useless and will be easily replaced. Spooner isn't good by any means but he'll bring more offence in the long run. He's also learning a new system and will need time to adjust.

Reactions: North

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Am I the only one who was really impressed by Spooner last night? He used his speed well, and got involved physically. He seems like a pretty good fit with Nuge. They just need a big, right handed trigger man to complete the line (literally the thought that went through my head last night without even thinking Pulju :laugh:)

Did that all in 12 minutes hey, while being -1 and with at least two dubious shifts getting caught doing nothing in ownzone. He had one hit. I'm sure this will be talked up for the rest of the week.

The funny thing, and I don't get it, is fans teased by apparent offensive promise like this guy, coaches don't. No coach has liked him.

Reactions: IAGTTAYM

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
By my eye Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian is the new 3rd line and Brodz is tried and true in that position and Hitch has familiarity with the player. This leaves the 4th line with Khaira and eventually Chiasson or Kassian when Puljujarvi returns.

Khaira-Marody-Chiasson would be a solid NHL line. If Marody fails there then you call up Malone and put him there or you call up Benson and move Khaira to center.

I don't mind it too much now because I could see Lucic-Brodz-Kass being an effective 3rd line under Hitch. They would have been a tire fire under McLellan, IMO.

I do think they need to get Marody back to Bako ASAP. Khaira-Malone-Rattie/Russel might actually be a really solid 4th line under Hitch.

Reactions: North and belair

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Anyone complaining about this trade is just complaining to complain about something. Strome was useless and will be easily replaced. Spooner isn't good by any means but he'll bring more offence in the long run. He's also learning a new system and will need time to adjust.

Spooner gets worse the longer he is around. He was flatlining this season in NY, and he is already here.

-5 so far. With more EV GA in 5Gp than Strome has had all year.

The worst thing about Spooner is he's a player that figures he should be playing with the stars of the game. He's a guy that's always wanted to be on topline, but brings very little commensurate to that lofty summit. Some comments that he even dogged it in NYR after he was demoted to 3rd line. He was already healthy scratched twice. That could be happening soon again.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't mind it too much now because I could see Lucic-Brodz-Kass being an effective 3rd line under Hitch. They would have been a tire fire under McLellan, IMO.

I do think they need to get Marody back to Bako ASAP. Khaira-Malone-Rattie/Russel might actually be a really solid 4th line under Hitch.

Brodz is old though. This is a stop gap solution. Strome was almost a decade younger. So we had Strome for a longtime if wanted. We got Brodz for this season, maybe next.
Not convinced either that Khaira is consistent enough to be a reliable option.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Did that all in 12 minutes hey, while being -1 and with at least two dubious shifts getting caught doing nothing in ownzone. He had one hit. I'm sure this will be talked up for the rest of the week.

The funny thing, and I don't get it, is fans teased by apparent offensive promise like this guy, coaches don't. No coach has liked him.

Yes. Yes he did. And he was a lot more physical than “1 hit” would make you believe. If you actually disagree with that, I don’t know what to say. You say fans teased by offensive promise like him, yet I said I liked him for his speed and battle. He also had quite a few good moments in our zone.

Maybe you’re just seeing what you want to see :huh:

It all comes down to opportunities. Marody was fairly good last night, but he’s the obvious one to take out to double shift McDavid. If we can get in some games where he gets more minutes, I don’t see the issue with keeping him up.

I’d also rather play Khaira at 4C. He at least has a future with the team, unlike Malone. And we could use a cost controlled 4C instead of having to bring in free agents

Reactions: WIOiler and slaman

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Brodz is old though. This is a stop gap solution. Strome was almost a decade younger. So we had Strome for a longtime if wanted. We got Brodz for this season, maybe next.
Not convinced either that Khaira is consistent enough to be a reliable option.

What's done is done, unfortunately. Have to make the best of it now.

Brodz can hopefully hold it down for the rest of the season and then you go from there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes. Yes he did. And he was a lot more physical than “1 hit” would make you believe. If you actually disagree with that, I don’t know what to say. You say fans teased by offensive promise like him, yet I said I liked him for his speed and battle. He also had quite a few good moments in our zone.

Maybe you’re just seeing what you want to see :huh:

Yeah I'm seeing what I want to see when the player has zero pts, only 2 all season, has already been benched twice and is -5 here and looks like a nightmare in ownzone.

Anything in your post is hopeful thinking, which is fine, but there hasn't been anything much worth seeing from the player all of this season.

The constant with this player is he's bad without the puck. That's the commentary elsewhere.

Try posting on the Bruins or Rangers board telling them how much physical compete Spooner brings...

Lets just say its a comment heard here for the first time.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Yeah I'm seeing what I want to see when the player has zero pts, only 2 all season, has already been benched twice and is -5 here and looks like a nightmare in ownzone.

Anything in your post is hopeful thinking, which is fine, but there hasn't been anything much worth seeing from the player all of this season.

The constant with this player is he's bad without the puck. That's the commentary elsewhere.

Try posting on the Bruins or Rangers board telling them how much physical compete Spooner brings...

I don’t really care if it’s new. If he’s buying into Hitch telling the team to be aggressive on the forecheck, then he deserves the same clean slate as everyone else on the team

Reactions: TB12 and WIOiler

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It all comes down to opportunities. Marody was fairly good last night, but he’s the obvious one to take out to double shift McDavid. If we can get in some games where he gets more minutes, I don’t see the issue with keeping him up.

I’d also rather play Khaira at 4C. He at least has a future with the team, unlike Malone. And we could use a cost controlled 4C instead of having to bring in free agents

I would assume Hitch will keep doing that though.

Makes more sense to have a guy like Malone play 5-8 minutes. Hitch also said he really liked Khaira and Rattie with McDavid last night, so seems like a good fit for where to put him for some extra shifts.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t really care if it’s new. If he’s buying into Hitch telling the team to be aggressive on the forecheck, then he deserves the same clean slate as everyone else on the team

I mean you're the first person I've ever heard talking about Ryan Spooners physical compete. Holy crap, he's a textbook eggs in pockets player that typically avoids contact. I think he's thrown two hits since being here and ONLY because he's desperate to remain in the NHL. Which given Ryan Spooners past, will disappear as well soon enough. This is a player with chronic attitude issues that has been his own worst enemy his entire NHL career.

He's 26. I doubt he's changing his spots soon.

Finally, I don't know that there was even any difference between Spooner last night and his first 2 games here. Besides him being -2 in both of those and only -1 in this one..

That you think he played different, and that it could be do to listening to a coach (a rare thing with Spooner) is probably you inferring that.

I know people think we should wait. but this guy has been a bad actor. I know he's here, but he's not helpful here, or anywhere in the NHL. That he's 26 and still like this means its not changing.

space321

May 11, 2011

Were we watching the same game? Spooner avoided contact like the plague. He was caught on the wrong side of the net while his teammates were trying to cycle to him. He also could race to a lose puck against Burns when RNH gave him an aereal pass. Nothing about his game stood out at all.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

I must say you are predictable. If a player you like gets traded, benched or the like, their “Replacement” is inevetiably the object of your derision.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I must say you are predictable. If a player you like gets traded, benched or the like, their “Replacement” is inevetiably the object of your derision.

The only thing predictable is how much you get your nose in there...;)

I'm not even a Strome fan. He's vanilla to me, but at least a GF/GA saw off low event player. He wasn't hurting us. That we're paying Spooner the same to be outscored heavily is strange at best.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The only thing predictable is how much you get your nose in there...;)

I'm not even a Strome fan. He's vanilla to me, but at least a GF/GA saw off low event player. He wasn't hurting us. That we're paying Spooner the same to be outscored heavily is strange at best.
Sometimes I can't tell if you are Eberle fan or a Strome fan

Reactions: TB12

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto

The alternative was Strome... Who had similar stats other than +/-.

By the way, you're the first to argue against using +/- to make a point, why bring it up now?

Reactions: WIOiler and North
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad