Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NYR] Oilers acquire Ryan Spooner in exchange for Ryan Strome (NYR retains 900k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Man I hated Strome and this guy is actually worse than him. How does Chiarelli keep topping himself with these awesome trades?

Strome with an apple and a +1 last night.

Reactions: space321

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Strome was over-paid for what he brought.

He was/is a 3/4th line center with decent defensive abilities, including pk, face-offs, etc.

I had no problem with him being traded but Chia's return, as usual, was worse than the asset.

Sigh...

Reactions: harpoon

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Man I hated Strome and this guy is actually worse than him. How does Chiarelli keep topping himself with these awesome trades?

trade that never should have been made if you're about to fire the coach.
dumb chia

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
trade that never should have been made if you're about to fire the coach.
dumb chia
It makes the trade even more baffling. Strome would likely be an ideal fit under Hitchcock. So unless there was some immediate need to trade him, I just don't get it. The asset management of this organization is out of this world.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We needed another top 6 option and a guy that can help Puljujarvi out offensively, I suspect that he will help the 2nd PP unit as well. If there's one thing that Strome proved while he was here, it's that he's not a top 6 option for this team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We needed another top 6 option and a guy that can help Puljujarvi out offensively, I suspect that he will help the 2nd PP unit as well. If there's one thing that Strome proved while he was here, it's that he's not a top 6 option for this team.

Yeah,,,somewhat. I didn't like Strome/Khaira with Draisatl last season but mostly because of Khaira, who I still feel doesn't have the polish or talent to play much of a role anywhere in this league. CERTAINLY not in topsix.

That said, surprising things happen. Letestu was absolutely the worst production EV Center on this team, worse even that Strome. Yet he was getting constant PP rotation because occasionally he could one time a shot. So that one of the lesser producers on the team was getting a preferential plum assignment and spot on the PP. A spot clearly better suited to Draisaitl or other talent (as we are seeing) Letestu was so clumsy on the PP if he wasn't one timing the puck it was like we didn't have a man advantage at all on the PP. Last season I could say the same of Lucic. Strome didn't really show he didn't fit, he didn't get the opportunity. The one thing Strome could do fairly well was cycle and move the puck and he was even good in transition.

Strome is really happy in NY. It annoys me a bit actually, as I never saw him smile like he is the rangers. He seems ecstatic suddenly. Seeing his videos in NY so far isn't making me warm to Strome anymore. For whatever reason I don't think he liked being here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fair enough, I see your point even though I think you are taking it too far. You have heard or read things about I have not, I cannot say that I have paid that much attention but I have seen a couple of pieces where he got praise from coach/team mates.

Anyhow, we'll see how things go from here. I didn't mind Strome to be honest, but also I did like Spooner when playing in Boston, so I don't really have a side here. I just hope he shows up to play sooner rather than later.

The other thing that I want to say is you were wrong in regards to Spooner playing mostly bottomsix in Boston. He got lots of looks in topsix and on PP. This is a player that was getting a lot of primo looks in Boston. Early in his career he was regarded as a topsix guy.

Its uncanny. Maybe because people don't watch different levels of hoekcy a lot (I dunno) but Spooner, while he has some offensive flair, its really pretty normative stuff. This is a guy that without being tied to premium talent is pretty much a 30-40pt guy if that even with 2nd line and PP rotation. He only had better years because of who he got to play with.

Ryan Spooner is the type of player that if he was in NCAA, CIS, Europe he would be electrifying, he would have the puck all day, he would look like Wayne Gretzky at that level. But not at this one. Theres a ton of stories like this one and USUALLY those dreams end very quickly the moment some other things are noted. Spooner is actually incredibly fortunate to still be around. he actually reminds me a lot of Scott Fraser. A guy that lit it up here as a deadline pickup in 97-98. Guy had 12G 11A 23pts in only 29GP here. He looked like he had all kinds of jam, looked like he had some decent talent. He virtually disappeared without a trace after that. Never caught fire again. Theres endless stories like that. Strome and Spooner are even those kinds of stories I think.

Maybe because I've followed the club since 1972 I get tired of pickups that have an extremely low probability of panning out.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah,,,somewhat. I didn't like Strome/Khaira with Draisatl last season but mostly because of Khaira, who I still feel doesn't have the polish or talent to play much of a role anywhere in this league. CERTAINLY not in topsix.

That said, surprising things happen. Letestu was absolutely the worst production EV Center on this team, worse even that Strome. Yet he was getting constant PP rotation because occasionally he could one time a shot. So that one of the lesser producers on the team was getting a preferential plum assignment and spot on the PP. A spot clearly better suited to Draisaitl or other talent (as we are seeing) Letestu was so clumsy on the PP if he wasn't one timing the puck it was like we didn't have a man advantage at all on the PP. Last season I could say the same of Lucic. Strome didn't really show he didn't fit, he didn't get the opportunity. The one thing Strome could do fairly well was cycle and move the puck and he was even good in transition.

Strome is really happy in NY. It annoys me a bit actually, as I never saw him smile like he is the rangers. He seems ecstatic suddenly. Seeing his videos in NY so far isn't making me warm to Strome anymore. For whatever reason I don't think he liked being here.

Whatever the case it never really clicked for him here. He showed decent with Nuge for a few games IIRC but was just far too inconsistent.

That could be coaching related, Todd definitely rubbed a few players the wrong way and he may have been one of them. Or maybe he just didn't like the market and didn't want to carry the burden of being the guy traded for Eberle?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Whatever the case it never really clicked for him here. He showed decent with Nuge for a few games IIRC but was just far too inconsistent.

That could be coaching related, Todd definitely rubbed a few players the wrong way and he may have been one of them. Or maybe he just didn't like the market and didn't want to carry the burden of being the guy traded for Eberle?

All plausible. it might be the latter. Just too much boots to fill.

There was an interesting comment on the Rangers board that if both of these players were just waiver wire pickups it would be possible to like the additions a bit. I think that hit it. Unfortunately you won't find one comment out of NY being sad to see Spooner go. He seems to be a very polarizing figure. Fans initially like him, then it turns. Basically its "smell ya later" type comments on the Rangers board. People thought he showed promise last season, nobody liking his play this season.

In anycase Strome is getting a lot more looks and minutes in NY, around 16mins a night, played the most he has last night and got an assist. He hasn't been scored again in NY so far +1 in 3 GP. Minutes and use increasing. I think he fits in more on a lunchbucket squad in NY that doesn't have much flash. Also, and this sounds odd to say because its NY, but no expectation because nobody expects anything out of that team except full on rebuild.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Who else but HK97 jumping to defend any acquisition of Chiarelli's lol
And bringing Eberle and his ‘bunch of nothing points’ (a solid argument cause we all know some points are ‘nothing’ and if you score a ‘bunch’ of them, well, that’s even more ‘nothing’) into the conversation. :dunce:

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
wish they would have kept strome. I'd more prefer to have seen what he could do under hitch than I would spooner.
It's pretty baffling. Strome checks a lot better than Spooner, and Hitch puts a premium on that.

It's almost like the GM and management doesn't have a coherent plan in place...:help:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
An interesting article on the two players that resonates with me;

https://thehockeywriters.com/ny-rangers-benefit-strome-spooner-trade/

"In his time in Boston, Spooner picked up the reputation the equivalent of a “AAAA” player in professional baseball — too good for the minor leagues, but not playing well enough in the majors"

This mirrors my comment above about Spooner probably looking amazing at a lesser rung of hockey but then overwhelmed playing against better players at this level. Clearly at this level Spooner is a small fish. Some players and psyches really struggle with that.

The article breaks down the trade, one thing it leaves out is that Ryan Strome is an adequate bottomsix guy. Even a protect a lead guy. Doesn't get scored against a lot and can be on the pk. So theres a role for people like that. Spooner unfortunately lacks the polish and skill to be in topsix, never scores much (never even scored much at AHL level) and so in NHL, he's only good enough to be bottomsix, but his attributes really don't fit there, and it strikes some pundits that he doesn't want to be there. A lot of players with a dream are able to make a transition to a role player. Guys like Cogliano, Brodz being examples of that. Others won't let go of the dream of being a producer, a hilite guy. I think Spooner is actually kind of depressed that his hockey journey is taking him gradually out of topsix. I think it happens here too. The patience having him with Nuge will wear out and somebody else will be there. I think when Spooner gets dropped to bottomsix here its over.

Like the article says, Spooner can be an assist guy, but doesn't score goals, and doesn't do anything else. That's a real bit role. Not much of a niche.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's pretty baffling. Strome checks a lot better than Spooner, and Hitch puts a premium on that.

It's almost like the GM and management doesn't have a coherent plan in place...:help:

Yeah, this hits it. Strome is of course a Hitchcock type player. Just like Brodz is (you can see those minutes shoot up) He would like Strome because bad things don't happen with him eating some minutes. Conversely Hitch will have less patience for players that don't bring it in all areas of the ice. I think little doubt that Strome fits more in Hitch world than Spooner does.

Its always like that with this org. That the actions are not concerted hints to their being no real plan or serious thoughts on these things.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The other thing that I want to say is you were wrong in regards to Spooner playing mostly bottomsix in Boston. He got lots of looks in topsix and on PP. This is a player that was getting a lot of primo looks in Boston. Early in his career he was regarded as a topsix guy.

Its uncanny. Maybe because people don't watch different levels of hoekcy a lot (I dunno) but Spooner, while he has some offensive flair, its really pretty normative stuff. This is a guy that without being tied to premium talent is pretty much a 30-40pt guy if that even with 2nd line and PP rotation. He only had better years because of who he got to play with.

Ryan Spooner is the type of player that if he was in NCAA, CIS, Europe he would be electrifying, he would have the puck all day, he would look like Wayne Gretzky at that level. But not at this one. Theres a ton of stories like this one and USUALLY those dreams end very quickly the moment some other things are noted. Spooner is actually incredibly fortunate to still be around. he actually reminds me a lot of Scott Fraser. A guy that lit it up here as a deadline pickup in 97-98. Guy had 12G 11A 23pts in only 29GP here. He looked like he had all kinds of jam, looked like he had some decent talent. He virtually disappeared without a trace after that. Never caught fire again. Theres endless stories like that. Strome and Spooner are even those kinds of stories I think.

Maybe because I've followed the club since 1972 I get tired of pickups that have an extremely low probability of panning out.
I wasn't wrong, I said: "In Boston he played a lot of 3rd line hockey and played wing or C based on need". "Mostly bottom six" is a bit different and it is a long period you're talking about.

15/16 his most common line mates were: Hayes (60%), Belesky (60%), Eriksson, Vatrano, Connolly and his EV TOI/GP was 9th of the fwds on Boston. 49 pts in 80 GP. 3rd line mostly.
16/17 his most common line mates were: Krejci (40%), Backes (40%), Nash, Czarnik, Belesky but his EV TOI/GP was 12th of the fwds on Boston. 39 pts in 78 GP. 2nd/3rd lines.
17/18 his most common line mates were: DeBrusk, Krejci but again his EV TOI/GP was 12th of the fwds on Boston. 25 pts in 39 GP. 2nd line.
17/18 in NYR though he got top minutes with Zuccarello and Hayes, but then he also produced like a top line player. 16 pts in 20 GP. 1st line.

I just don't see what is so damming about those numbers. He obviously did play PP1 but his points totals puts in square in the range for a 2nd line winger imo. If compared to RWs for example he'd be around 30-40th in the NHL each year.

Look I am not saying he's a world beater, I am saying that I think he can be a serviceable player based on what I saw of him previously (didn't see him on the Rangers) and I think that is still the case. If he buys what Hitchcock is selling in terms of doing as he is told I definitely think he can be a good addition to our middle six. To be clear, he needs to buy into what is being sold here as well, so it is not as if I am expecting this to be clear cut case of him "making it", if he doesn't he'll be Aberg'ed away I think.

Scott Fraser... How's he even remotely comparable??? Wait, don't answer that... Let's not move too much off topic.

I guess this is a bit pointless, going back and seeing how much time you have spent on this issue/player I know I won't be changing your mind anytime soon :laugh:

Reactions: HK97 and Cypress

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Yeah, this hits it. Strome is of course a Hitchcock type player. Just like Brodz is (you can see those minutes shoot up) He would like Strome because bad things don't happen with him eating some minutes. Conversely Hitch will have less patience for players that don't bring it in all areas of the ice. I think little doubt that Strome fits more in Hitch world than Spooner does.

Its always like that with this org. That the actions are not concerted hints to their being no real plan or serious thoughts on these things.
I'm pretty sure Hitch will focus on bringing down the GA when lines 2-4 are on the ice, and thus improving the +/-. I don't think Hitch thinks that there are much in terms of a scoring potential from lines 2-4, given the personnel. Strome would have been a much better fit to execute that type of a game plan.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wasn't wrong, I said: "In Boston he played a lot of 3rd line hockey and played wing or C based on need". "Mostly bottom six" is a bit different and it is a long period you're talking about.

15/16 his most common line mates were: Hayes (60%), Belesky (60%), Eriksson, Vatrano, Connolly and his EV TOI/GP was 9th of the fwds on Boston. 49 pts in 80 GP. 3rd line mostly.
16/17 his most common line mates were: Krejci (40%), Backes (40%), Nash, Czarnik, Belesky but his EV TOI/GP was 12th of the fwds on Boston. 39 pts in 78 GP. 2nd/3rd lines.
17/18 his most common line mates were: DeBrusk, Krejci but again his EV TOI/GP was 12th of the fwds on Boston. 25 pts in 39 GP. 2nd line.
17/18 in NYR though he got top minutes with Zuccarello and Hayes, but then he also produced like a top line player. 16 pts in 20 GP. 1st line.

I just don't see what is so damming about those numbers. He obviously did play PP1 but his points totals puts in square in the range for a 2nd line winger imo. If compared to RWs for example he'd be around 30-40th in the NHL each year.

Look I am not saying he's a world beater, I am saying that I think he can be a serviceable player based on what I saw of him previously (didn't see him on the Rangers) and I think that is still the case. If he buys what Hitchcock is selling in terms of doing as he is told I definitely think he can be a good addition to our middle six. To be clear, he needs to buy into what is being sold here as well, so it is not as if I am expecting this to be clear cut case of him "making it", if he doesn't he'll be Aberg'ed away I think.

Scott Fraser... How's he even remotely comparable??? Wait, don't answer that... Let's not move too much off topic.

I guess this is a bit pointless, going back and seeing how much time you have spent on this issue/player I know I won't be changing your mind anytime soon :laugh:

You're right on this one my friend. But when I take an obvious dislike to an added player to this kind of degree the names are usually underacheivers like Robbie Schremp, Omark, Paajarvi, Spooner. Figure skaters all, that chose the wrong sport or league imo. I have limited patience for artistry that does nothing. Style points don't matter to me, how a player can help a team is everything. Spooner is a bit part NHL player who very soon won't be one.

Reactions: Aerrol and LaGu

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
You're right on this one my friend. But when I take an obvious dislike to an added player to this kind of degree the names are usually underacheivers like Robbie Schremp, Omark, Paajarvi, Spooner. Figure skaters all, that chose the wrong sport or league imo. I have limited patience for artistry that does nothing. Style points don't matter to me, how a player can help a team is everything. Spooner is a bit part NHL player who very soon won't be one.

what about your favorite player Sam Perdre? I'm pretty sure most of us knew very early on that Schremp, Omark and Paajarvi were pretenders.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

exactly, noone's saying it's a good trade or that Spooner is any good (has potential) but that losing Strome is absolutely no big deal. Strome for nothing wouldn't really hurt this team to be honest. If the player doesn't fit with what you want why is he even on the team? might as well trade him for something.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

lol, ya, because one game where he jabbed at a puck back to the point and the d-man floats a tipped shot into the net actually means something. btw ebs was -2 in that game and now -9 for the season....

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
lol, ya, because one game where he jabbed at a puck back to the point and the d-man floats a tipped shot into the net actually means something. btw ebs was -2 in that game and now -9 for the season....
He would be our 4th leading point getter, ahead of every winger on the team.

Barzal is -12. Maybe the Isles should trade him back here for our junk.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
He would be our 4th leading point getter, ahead of every winger on the team.

Barzal is -12. Maybe the Isles should trade him back here for our junk.

Wingers should be scoring goals, especially a sniper like Ebs, and Drai/Nuge as wingers have scored more, also Chiason and Caggiula are ahead.

He'll end up ahead I am sure, but he's not doing very much good at all on the Isles. Barzal imo is struggling as well, Tavares was pretty important to shelter the kids on that team.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Wingers should be scoring goals, especially a sniper like Ebs, and Drai/Nuge as wingers have scored more, also Chiason and Caggiula are ahead.

He'll end up ahead I am sure, but he's not doing very much good at all on the Isles. Barzal imo is struggling as well, Tavares was pretty important to shelter the kids on that team.
Of course Drai/Nuge have scored more. They're better players and get to play with McDavid.

The problem is that Eberle was cast away for a more inferior player... And then that player was again traded for an even more inferior player. This is laughably bad asset management and if we even had 2 top six wingers (as opposed to zero) we could spread out the scoring a bit more instead of hoping that McDavid/Draisatl dominate and the rest of the lineup doesn't drown in its own ineptitude.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Of course Drai/Nuge have scored more. They're better players and get to play with McDavid.

The problem is that Eberle was cast away for a more inferior player... And then that player was again traded for an even more inferior player. This is laughably bad asset management and if we even had 2 top six wingers (as opposed to zero) we could spread out the scoring a bit more instead of hoping that McDavid/Draisatl dominate and the rest of the lineup doesn't drown in its own ineptitude.

This is a perfect post on Rangers board.

Eberle->Strome->Spooner

How does Chia have a job?

Not even mentioning the Hall trade, Milan Lucic, etc.

Reactions: Aerrol

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is a perfect post on Rangers board.

Eberle->Strome->Spooner

How does Chia have a job?

Not even mentioning the Hall trade, Milan Lucic, etc.
Every time Chiarelli makes a roster trade it's usually met with uproarious laughter.

Coupled with the firing of McLellan makes this trade even dumber. If there is a plan in the Oilers management I'm not seeing it.

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad