Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NJD] Dmitry Kulikov for 2022 cond. 3rd/4th round pick

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
For the record, I wanted Hall. From what I gather, Hall wanted Boston.

I'd like to point out that the Oilers did in fact acquire a depth D, and you're currently commenting in that thread. Any of the forwards that the Oilers needed went for a first, adding more mediocre bottom 6 players served no purpose.
Depth D yes. Nothing wrong there just not gonna move the needle or help them in any significant way. Dont think hall was the player they needed right now but a solid 3rd liner , a winger for the second line a shutdown D or a hotshot G...basically another season spinning their tires.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
Depth D yes. Nothing wrong there just not gonna move the needle or help them in any significant way. Dont think hall was the player they needed right now but a solid 3rd liner , a winger for the second line a shutdown D or a hotshot G...basically another season spinning their tires.

Those players went for 1st rounders (Mantha, Foligno etc.), and wouldn't have made the Oilers a contender. Again, what's the point? Use the first at the draft when it's worth more and can get a long term upgrade, not a rental. Or we could go "all in" every year and go into every season with a bad roster, hoping we can shore it up at the deadline.

Also, I believe I mentioned it before but Covid is still a reality. Athanasiou and Green ended up being wasted assets, for just this reason. Seems like a bad idea doing that again.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Those players went for 1st rounders (Mantha, Foligno etc.), and wouldn't have made the Oilers a contender. Again, what's the point? Use the first at the draft when it's worth more and can get a long term upgrade, not a rental. Or we could go "all in" every year and go into every season with a bad roster, hoping we can shore it up at the deadline.

Also, I believe I mentioned it before but Covid is still a reality. Athanasiou and Green ended up being wasted assets, for just this reason. Seems like a bad idea doing that again.
Mantha would have been a good move because it's an all in move that has future investment. We are definitely contending within that contract

However in a team building mindset I suppose Holloway has that LW spot down the road.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Mantha would have been a good move because it's an all in move that has future investment. We are definitely contending within that contract

However in a team building mindset I suppose Holloway has that LW spot down the road.

Mantha would've been a great add. One of the missing pieces. Great point about Holloway though, he might be the guy in the future for top line LW.

Still.. having both Mantha and Holloway would've meant excellent depth on that side, true top 6 LW skill, which is what a contending team would have.

By that I mean:

Mantha - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH/Holloway - Drai - Yamamoto

is better than

Drai - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Whatever - Whatever - Whatever

Reactions: Mr Positive

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

Hall went for less. Been fantastic in his new arena. Jeff Carter went for less. Would have been a good veteran presence back there. Vegas added for cheaper. Colorado made good depth moves as did Florida... no one said go all in ..clearly the Oilers are not ready for all in but a building block of a round win would have been massive . Again they are pretty much in the exact same spot as last year and a year older and wasted prime years of mcdvaid and leon. Adding a key peice would have been ideal at this deadline and give em a shot of challenging Toronto or Winnipeg

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Mantha would've been a great add. One of the missing pieces. Great point about Holloway though, he might be the guy in the future for top line LW.

Still.. having both Mantha and Holloway would've meant excellent depth on that side, true top 6 LW skill, which is what a contending team would have.

By that I mean:

is better than

Hmm. Holloway with McDavid is best I think.

Holloway McD Puljujärvi
NugeDraiMoto
MacLeod 3C Kassian
Shore Khaira Archibald

Needs to add a 3C. Haas is capable, bit I guess its another c wished.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
How’s kulikov looking in Edmonton? Missing him in nj. Would have rather just kept him and let him walk as ufa then have the return we got

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

What comparable deal could we offer for Mantha? We have the 1st, but where is our Vrana comparable. Mantha probably costs us a 1st and Pulujarvi or Yamamoto, and maybe more. It would be nice to get a big bodied scoring winger like Mantha, but do we even have the trade chips for him? For all you know, Holland was in on Mantha and couldn't beat Washington's price.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What comparable deal could we offer for Mantha? We have the 1st, but where is our Vrana comparable. Mantha probably costs us a 1st and Pulujarvi or Yamamoto, and maybe more. It would be nice to get a big bodied scoring winger like Mantha, but do we even have the trade chips for him? For all you know, Holland was in on Mantha and couldn't beat Washington's price.
That's all fair. If it did cost someone like JP or even Yama I think I do it, with the other assets added too. Maybe it's the wrong call but I like Mantha

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
That's all fair. If it did cost someone like JP or even Yama I think I do it, with the other assets added too. Maybe it's the wrong call but I like Mantha

I think Mantha would be a perfect fit for McD, but like MoS55 pointed out, how could we beat that Washington offer? Even if we did take a deep breath and part ways with one of Pulju or Yami, there’s a huge gap in salary we’d still need to make work. The Caps gave up Vrana (better player than either of those 2), plus a 1st and a 2nd. We’d have to add Chiasson and Turris to make the cap work on a similar deal and that is gonna cost additional picks.

I just don’t see a scenario where we outbid the Caps offer.... but I would have loved seeing Mantha pot 40 alongside McD every year.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

By that I mean:

is better than

Isnt Savoie and Lavoie draftef for this purpose? But yes, a gaphole to fill is needed, someone that they have to compete out of the top spot.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
How’s kulikov looking in Edmonton? Missing him in nj. Would have rather just kept him and let him walk as ufa then have the return we got
he looks slow on feet and has made some poor decisions with the puck. Some nice hits though. decent depth pickup buy not a top 4 Dman

Reactions: voxel

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Bottom-pair D ("ok defensively") who can barely make an outlet pass and is prone to giveaway. I hope Tippett comes to his senses and plays Lagesson over Kulikov.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Honestly I think he's been fine, he's the only one of our D besides Nurse that can adequately breakup a cycle. I've been more disappointed with Larsson's ability to pass to Kulikov than I have Kulikov's ability to outlet pass. He makes the wrong choice sometimes for sure, but at least he does it quickly unlike Russell. Even Bear seems to spend a little too much time holding the puck. More than happy with what he cost and I think his passing will settle down as he plays more, so hopefully Tippett doesn't start scratching him since he seems like the kind of player that we need since he didn't crumble under the big PLD lines forechecking, which we are about to see for 7 games coming up.

He reminds me of Jason Smith.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Bottom-pair D ("ok defensively") who can barely make an outlet pass and is prone to giveaway. I hope Tippett comes to his senses and plays Lagesson over Kulikov.
he looks slow on feet and has made some poor decisions with the puck. Some nice hits though. decent depth pickup buy not a top 4 Dman
Sounds nothing like the kulikov that played for NJ this year. He was solid and played in the top 4. He is missed

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: