Pre-Game Talk: Edm @ minny-soda. Apr 12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Official petition for a thread of drivesaitl’s recipes, garden setup, and other elderly wisdom!
Canteen threads heh. Found right on this board and a staple of hf since the pandemic...For this game we should start sharing some Wild meat recipes just to be on topic.

Oh, and thats wild duck Drai is eating in my avatar..

I recommend this book for many recipes and some wild recipes. One of my faves. Not sure if still in print but still available places and on amazon

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I did two decades of Crisis intervention among my many job roles. Always stuck to a healthy diet. Agreed its harder with kids and family if they don't want to. I put a priority on food, as healthy fuel.

I live in Millwoods and so source out a lot of places that have decent quality Fruit and Veggies. I was going to places like H & W and Alices Produce before almost anybody was. Both reasonable places. Alices is a small shop with pretty amazing prices. He almost always beats prices of any other suppliers. The Real Canadian Food warehouse on 99st and approx 73ave is another winner for food, veggies, fruit or meat prices. its where a lot of the vendors or small restaurant owners go to. You get better values there than anywhere.

We run a good sized garden here and two freezers. Do some canning as well. Everything cuts down food costs.

What I find critical, to induce people (and single people to cook more) is learning recipes that are freezable. Stuff like soups, Chili, stews, casseroles, most of these you can freeze. So that if cooking for one is a problem then batch cook and just thaw is a good solution so that you don't feel like you are wasting all that effort just for one person. Don't cheap out on the freezerware. Tupperware or other good portion containers freeze well. I like sizes that you can easily fit into a pot for when reheating.

I'm married and almost always do all the cooking. I've always loved cooking. When I was working fulltime and more we would share the cooking load more, but now retired and doing probably 90% of cooking. heh. we both prefer my cooking.

last thing. Always label what goes into the freezer. What it is(food looks much different frozen), when it was prepared, and have a mix of stuff in there that you can take out for variety. If you don't live near a store just go to a place like the Real Canadian warehouse I mentioned and get a lot of stuff and do a cookathon. Prepare several batch meals, use a lot of stuff up, freeze it, then you have it. EVERY meal you make yourself is guaranteed to be better than any TV dinner or frozen meal from a store. Better than any fastfood.

cheers
I cant argue with any of this. When I was 30 I ate like a human garbage pit and it was ok, then 40 came and it started to create impacts. Like everyone here, we had 3 kids and all the commensurate running around that impacted our free time. What I learned is that we on this board are all at different points in our lives and there are no wron g answers. Now as a retired 57 year old whose life looks like it mirrors @Drivesaitl I get it. I retired, went into a different phase of life and have embraced large gardening plots, we can a number of produce items also, salsa, pickles, sphagettie sauce, tomatoes, carrots. We process and freeze zucchini and other veggies for use later on. i probably eat fast food 4x a year now but when I do I go hard and it makes me feel like shit After. As for keeping produce fresh, Debbie Meyer bags are your friends, find them Online or at staples etc., they are incredible. I laugh now because a shitty baloney sandwich, or some fast food used to be the go to for lunch. Now that I have time and have spent time researching more info on healthy lifestyles, i eat a variation of a salad at least once a day sometimes both lunch and supper and i look forward to them, and I miss the days when I don’t eat like that. when im in a vacation i Iet my hair down. I came back to AZ on Friday and have drank beer, seltzers, and rum since I got here and the lettuce and tomatoes in the fridge are getting old and I miss their taste and texture. Tonight might be restart!

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
An Edmonton win and a Vegas regulation loss would just about wrap up a playoff spot for us. Vegas making up 8 points in 8 games would be just about impossible.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
you quoted it out of context. This is the full sentence:

"Amazed the degree to which people waste their wallet and gut on fast food. One of the best things you can do for your health, and your budget is start learning how to cook and start doing it."

Poor choice of words as worded. I'll grant that. But with the proviso is that anybody we know that has learned how to cook well vastly prefers their own cooking. Take a glance at the Canteen thread and some of the acolytes there and how much they love their own food. I go to restos, fast food once in awhile and everytime go away thinking its substandard.

I never stated people "NEED" to learn how to cook. This is the difficulty when you put words in there that people didn't state. You took it how you wanted to. I said "one of the best things you can do for your health" and I stand by that.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the sidebar. I'm mister sidebar. I'll try to work the sidebar into Wild, wait, thanks, you did that with the wild meat (yum) sidebar so we're back on topic.

the bolded btw was referencing some of our neighbors (Not in words but in what I was stating) who never cook and who say they could burn water. heh
My bad. I took it out of context. That’s the trouble with the internet.

My apologies.

Now then. All this talk has made me hungry. I’m gonna go eat some beef jerkey. :)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My bad. I took it out of context. That’s the trouble with the internet.

My apologies.

Now then. All this talk has made me hungry. I’m gonna go eat some beef jerkey. :)
Make sure to wash it down with a good beer. I'm sure we could talk about anything over a good beer, or cider. For me, Cider, I'm celiac

hey share some of those wild meat recipes for the thread. Grizzly House in Banff and some other spots, those are decent restos. Normands in Edmonton is. Not many places do wild meat very good.

Its all good. Except Taco Bell. what rubbish. ;)

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Make sure to wash it down with a good beer. I'm sure we could talk about anything over a good beer, or cider. For me, Cider, I'm celiac

hey share some of those wild meat recipes for the thread. Grizzly House in Banff and some other spots, those are decent restos. Normands in Edmonton is. Not many places do wild meat very good.

Taco Bell is easily the worst of all the fast food chains in Canada. So of course I loved it as a teenager.

• Haha
Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Taco Bell is easily the worst of all the fast food chains in Canada. So of course I loved it as a teenager.
I'll admit to going to Tacotime when younger. Preferred that chain. Always wished that Maui Tacos was on the mainland. The Hoopika is the best "fast food" I've ever had but the whole menu was put up by a gourmet chef. Great place. Not much like it here. Some independent places maybe.

What I like about that place is you can load up your own plate, put anything on it as adds that you want. I friggen love veggies of almost all types.

But yeah, I get it. Heres a kicker McD's opened in Edmonton around 1973. People might think these places were always here, but weren't. They didn't reach the west end till around 1974. At that time the Big Mac was somehow the height of culinary experience. I could inject those into my veins at the time. Didn't see my first rotten ronnies until I was a teen. They weren't here before. We only had Burger King and Zellers Grill and that type of thing. Kentucky Fried Chicken was here my whole life. There weren't many fast food places. Food courts in Malls didn't exist here.

A place called Dizzy Deans in JP used to be guaranteed food poisoning. Another place that opened up there in 70's called "Bobs better beef barbecue burgers" lol they were good.

But keeping with thread topic first time I had a wild Bison burger put the rest to shame.

I'm getting hungry.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The one thing I should mention about the quality and taste of some fast foods, and why it declined, has to do with the removal of trans fats. TFs were put in the same category as saccharine, namely in that it'd cause major health problems if consumed in massive, unobtainable quantities. It became a villain due to massive outcries from questionable independent film (early social media) types, and their followers. Which is why today's taste and quality is far from the stuff you grew up on.

Not that I'm advocating fast food of that sort. Because of the shit-kicking my liver has done to my strength and stamina, I find it hard to cook. So, I tend to order from Skip too much. I'm still trying to find some good food and not pizzas, burgers or deep-fried chicken.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I'll admit to going to Tacotime when younger. Preferred that chain. Always wished that Maui Tacos was on the mainland. The Hoopika is the best "fast food" I've ever had but the whole menu was put up by a gourmet chef. Great place. Not much like it here. Some independent places maybe.

What I like about that place is you can load up your own plate, put anything on it as adds that you want. I friggen love veggies of almost all types.

But yeah, I get it. Heres a kicker McD's opened in Edmonton around 1973. People might think these places were always here, but weren't. They didn't reach the west end till around 1974. At that time the Big Mac was somehow the height of culinary experience. I could inject those into my veins at the time. Didn't see my first rotten ronnies until I was a teen. They weren't here before. We only had Burger King and Zellers Grill and that type of thing. Kentucky Fried Chicken was here my whole life. There weren't many fast food places. Food courts in Malls didn't exist here.

A place called Dizzy Deans in JP used to be guaranteed food poisoning. Another place that opened up there in 70's called "Bobs better beef barbecue burgers" lol they were good.

But keeping with thread topic first time I had a wild Bison burger put the rest to shame.

I'm getting hungry.

The first mall food experience I had was the Woodward's food court at Northgate. I can't recall if they made your main order or if they just spooned it already made. But, they had desserts and banana cream pie was my favourite. Not sure when Orange Julius arrived there but it was my go to place at the mall.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The one thing I should mention about the quality and taste of some fast foods, and why it declined, has to do with the removal of trans fats. TFs were put in the same category as saccharine, namely in that it'd cause major health problems if consumed in massive, unobtainable quantities. It became a villain due to massive outcries from questionable independent film (early social media) types, and their followers. Which is why today's taste and quality is far from the stuff you grew up on.

Not that I'm advocating fast food of that sort. Because of the shit-kicking my liver has done to my strength and stamina, I find it hard to cook. So, I tend to order from Skip too much. I'm still trying to find some good food and not pizzas, burgers or deep-fried chicken.
Panda Hut? Not sure how their sodium ranks but some of their stuff seems good and they don't skimp too much. I do have a weakness for take out Chinese places IF they throw in lots of veggies and feature a lot of stir fries instead of deep fried which I can't have any of.

But another poster mentioned KFC. Its not the only problem. Its how the chicken is prepared now. Used to be you would order and they would fry all chicken fresh. I suspect thats not the case now and they precook. Total difference. The other thing is handling of the chicken, it being thawed too early, or what the quality of the rubber chicken is to begin with. The supply chain also being worse for those establishments than before. Last mention is that all chicken has to be over done now due to risk of salmonella, and or other bacteria in the supply chain. Which is a lot more common now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The first mall food experience I had was the Woodward's food court at Northgate. I can't recall if they made your main order if they just spooned it already made. But, they had desserts and banana cream pie was my favourite. Not sure when Orange Julius arrived there but it was my go to place at the mall.
Orange Julius was the first food vendor of any type at "Centennial Mall" back in the days in JP. Think they arrived around 70. Shakeys Pizza was out in the parking lot sometime after. Boston Pizza existed too back then. Yeah Woodwards was the first to do something like a food court here.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Inh

I haven’t had Taco Bell in years. I think it would make me sick if I tried it

I’ll ask Joel for some wild meat recipes for sure. He makes an unreal deer soup! He hunts his own deer and makes it. He gets annoyed because it’s one deer per person so he gets two (when his wife comes out)

And I also love a good cider!!! There is a new watermelon cider that is unreal good

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
The first mall food experience I had was the Woodward's food court at Northgate. I can't recall if they made your main order or if they just spooned it already made. But, they had desserts and banana cream pie was my favourite. Not sure when Orange Julius arrived there but it was my go to place at the mall.
The banana cream pie sounds unreal good.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Panda Hut? Not sure how their sodium ranks but some of their stuff seems good and they don't skimp too much. I do have a weakness for take out Chinese places IF they throw in lots of veggies and feature a lot of stir fries instead of deep fried which I can't have any of.

But another poster mentioned KFC. Its not the only problem. Its how the chicken is prepared now. Used to be you would order and they would fry all chicken fresh. I suspect thats not the case now and they precook. Total difference. The other thing is handling of the chicken, it being thawed too early, or what the quality of the rubber chicken is to begin with. The supply chain also being worse for those establishments than before. Last mention is that all chicken has to be over done now due to risk of salmonella, and or other bacteria in the supply chain. Which is a lot more common now.

Yeah, that's another problem. Like Tim's being bought out by Wendy's and going from an in-house bakery to just using pre-prepared stuff. The Donut Mill in Red Deer would be my go-to place now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Inh

I haven’t had Taco Bell in years. I think it would make me sick if I tried it

I’ll ask Joel for some wild meat recipes for sure. He makes an unreal deer soup! He hunts his own deer and makes it. He gets annoyed because it’s one deer per person so he gets two (when his wife comes out)

And I also love a good cider!!! There is a new watermelon cider that is unreal good
Wild Deer soup is one of the best experiences in food heh. Don't tell kids its bambi! heh

So what about these Minny Wild? Which wild D do the Oil Deep Fry tonight?

What a tie in.. just call me Gene.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Your just a kid if Woodwards was the place!! But we still love ya. :)

No word of a lie, my favourite experience was on Saturday my mom would go shopping and our town still had a FW Woolworths with a food counter and if we were lucky and mom was feeling flush, we could go and share some fries and a malt. And swivel the hell out of those counter stools! Good times greater memories.”.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Wild Deer soup is one of the best experiences in food heh. Don't tell kids its bambi! heh

So what about these Minny Wild? Which wild D do the Oil Deep Fry tonight?

What a tie in.. just call me Gene.
Well I just hope with our current goaltending playing so good they can bail us out if we play bad defence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad