Pre-Game Talk: Edm @ minny-soda. Apr 12

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Is Domino's super expensive in the US? I like Domino's quite a bit but i'm not down on paying 40$ for a large pizza.
I never order Dominos when Im here, because i can order it in canada. I usually get Barro‘s which is a local chain based in the Phoenix valley. But for curiosity i checked on the price of a large Meetza, USDOllars, this is from the website
1649781200470.png

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
University password still work? Gets you a bunch off dominos.
i don't know of such things.
I never order Dominos when Im here, because i can order it in canada. I usually get Barro‘s which is a local chain based in the Phoenix valley. But for curiosity i checked on the price of a large Meetza, USDOllars, this is from the website
View attachment 529924
Sorry i meant XL and i also get a bacon garlic fingers. But 40$ is still expensive for what amounts to some bread sauce cheese and a bit of meat.

1649781411004.png

Reactions: brentashton

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Came into a food thread it looks like. Amazed the degree to which people waste their wallet and gut on fast food. One of the best things you can do for your health, and your budget is start learning how to cook and start doing it.

Word for the wise. Basically everything you see in fast food places is overpriced garbage that is basically just going to harm your health.

There are some places you can go that have anything close to being food that is OK for you but few and far between. Most fast food is loaded with salt, fat, sugar, and calories. save yourselves...;)

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I keep meaning to try popeyes. I used to love kfc as a kid. For me the actual recipe has not changed but the quality of chicken seems much worse to me.
For KFC, I always leaned towards their sandwiches and wraps instead of the actual chicken, so I haven't noticed the issue there. But the one time someone bought a bucket and I tried it, I could see what you mean.

Though I partake in fast food, I'm not actually a huge fan of fan food with the exception of Popeye's. It's actually worth the hype. Their chicken sandwich is great. I even even love their chicken tenders and I never eat chicken tenders anywhere else. The other thing with Popeye's is I find that they are very reasonably price compared to their competition for the amount of food you get.

Drai Fi

Sep 17, 2019
Came into a food thread it looks like. Amazed the degree to which people waste their wallet and gut on fast food. One of the best things you can do for your health, and your budget is start learning how to cook and start doing it.

Word for the wise. Basically everything you see in fast food places is overpriced garbage that is basically just going to harm your health.

There are some places you can go that have anything close to being food that is OK for you but few and far between. Most fast food is loaded with salt, fat, sugar, and calories. save yourselves...;)
Don’t tell @tardigrade81, his eating habits are the only reason we’re in the playoff hunt :sarcasm:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I agree with this, but we're still in that phase of life where we still need to occasionally dive into the fast food because of balancing our schedules and all the activities of two kids (one pre-teen, one a teen) and the boring pallate of such kids leading to anything we'd like to get elsewhere basically just going to the garbage for them.

Before they got into all of their extra-curricular activities we'd have fast food maybe once every month or two.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
For KFC, I always leaned towards their sandwiches and wraps instead of the actual chicken, so I haven't noticed the issue there. But the one time someone bought a bucket and I tried it, I could see what you mean.

Though I partake in fast food, I'm not actually a huge fan of fan food with the exception of Popeye's. It's actually worth the hype. Their chicken sandwich is great. I even even love their chicken tenders and I never eat chicken tenders anywhere else. The other thing with Popeye's is I find that they are very reasonably price compared to their competition for the amount of food you get.
I don't think I've been to KFC in like 3 years now. But, when I did go there it was only for the chicken. I think I had a chicken burger there only once in all the times I went there.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Pizza Hut is way too greasy. I have a Ramona's where I live and that's great. They burn the top of the thing.
Mucho Burrito is probably my favorite fast food. I had Taco Bell once and didnt care for it. I might try again
Yea it can be for sure I agree with that.

I will have to try that next time If I ever see one. Sounds good! We have TJs pizza which is also decent

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Are you married by any chance? Do you always do all he cooking? Can you always find good quality fruits and veggies?

As as single person here are my issues.

#1 When you have to always be the one to preaprre every single meal sooner or later you do not feel like cooking.

#2 Cooking for one, no matter how 'healthy' you cook it is very tough to adhere to portion size.

#3 The quality and keep ability of fruits and veggies sucks in edmonton.

(If I lived really close to a groc store I might be able to shop weekly, but i do not.)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree with this, but we're still in that phase of life where we still need to occasionally dive into the fast food because of balancing our schedules and all the activities of two kids (one pre-teen, one a teen).

Before they got into all of their extra-curricular activities we'd have fast food maybe once every month or two.
I did two decades of Crisis intervention among my many job roles. Always stuck to a healthy diet. Agreed its harder with kids and family if they don't want to. I put a priority on food, as healthy fuel.
Are you married by any chance? Do you always do all he cooking? Can you always find good quality fruits and veggies?

#1 When you have to always be the one to preaprre every single meal sooner or later you do not feel like cooking.

#2 Cooking for one, no matter how 'healthy' you cook it is very tough to adhere to portion size.

(If I lived really close to a groc store I might be able to shop weekly, but i do not.)
I live in Millwoods and so source out a lot of places that have decent quality Fruit and Veggies. I was going to places like H & W and Alices Produce before almost anybody was. Both reasonable places. Alices is a small shop with pretty amazing prices. He almost always beats prices of any other suppliers. The Real Canadian Food warehouse on 99st and approx 73ave is another winner for food, veggies, fruit or meat prices. its where a lot of the vendors or small restaurant owners go to. You get better values there than anywhere.

We run a good sized garden here and two freezers. Do some canning as well. Everything cuts down food costs.

What I find critical, to induce people (and single people to cook more) is learning recipes that are freezable. Stuff like soups, Chili, stews, casseroles, most of these you can freeze. So that if cooking for one is a problem then batch cook and just thaw is a good solution so that you don't feel like you are wasting all that effort just for one person. Don't cheap out on the freezerware. Tupperware or other good portion containers freeze well. I like sizes that you can easily fit into a pot for when reheating.

I'm married and almost always do all the cooking. I've always loved cooking. When I was working fulltime and more we would share the cooking load more, but now retired and doing probably 90% of cooking. heh. we both prefer my cooking.

last thing. Always label what goes into the freezer. What it is(food looks much different frozen), when it was prepared, and have a mix of stuff in there that you can take out for variety. If you don't live near a store just go to a place like the Real Canadian warehouse I mentioned and get a lot of stuff and do a cookathon. Prepare several batch meals, use a lot of stuff up, freeze it, then you have it. EVERY meal you make yourself is guaranteed to be better than any TV dinner or frozen meal from a store. Better than any fastfood.

cheers

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Or how about let people do what the f*** they want lol. Because someone eats fast food twice a week means they can’t cook? News flash drive, 90 percent of the world eats fast food about once a week or more. That doesn’t mean they can’t cook and it also doesn’t meant they aren’t in decent shape. I would challenge anyone in the gym. Contrary to my fast food posts, I still train martial arts 3 times a week and keep myself in pretty good shape. Could I be in better shape? Absolutely , but my over cholesterol and blood pressure are very good. I don’t care to judge people based off of what they eat and what they spend their money on. I know people that would say spending money on the sports package to get the Sox and Oilers game is a waste too. I don’t judge people, the way I hope they don’t judge me. I know you’re just offering “advice” which is fine, but sometimes your “advice” comes off insulting
Triggered? heh. Look, its easy being healthy while young. I don't know why what I said would be insulting unless you already feel somehow guilty about your diet. I didn't mention you, you responded to this. Did you insult yourself? (please take this as joking) Somebody else mentioned you, I never did.

Anything I posted is just for the betterment of health. Thats it. Consider it public service, or not at all.

ps a lot of people rationalize "I eat fast food once or twice a week, its OK" yet you see them eating it every day. Which anybody can do, its a free world.

cheers.

Reactions: MessierII

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan

You don’t have to explain yourself to Drive

80 percent of North America eats out once or twice a week. We know it’s bad for us, but we do it anyway. Contrary to what Drive says I can feed myself, spouse and kid at BK for 15 bucks. Twice a week isn’t terrible but I do agree with him if it’s 3 or 4 or 5 times a week, that’s where it gets brutal expensive and hard on the body. To each their own

Oh and by the way Drive, we can cook just fine. Because we eat out a couple times a week doesn’t mean we can’t cook. What a stupid thing to say.

Reactions: MessierII

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Triggered? heh. Look, its easy being healthy while young. I don't know why what I said would be insulting unless you already feel somehow guilty about your diet. I didn't mention you, you responded to this. Did you insult yourself? (please take this as joking) Somebody else mentioned you, I never did.

Anything I posted is just for the betterment of health. Thats it. Consider it public service, or not at all.

cheers.
I deleted my comment. You beat me to it. It came off argumentative which I didn’t want. Trigged? May not be the right word for it, but annoyed. Implying someone can’t cook because they eat fast food is just an idiotic statement.

You drive automatic, means you obviously can’t drive standard. It’s cheaper on gas. Nope… I know how. Automatic is just more Convenient. Sometimes I even have a nice supper, but if it’s a Friday night and the game is at 8:30 I’ll order a burger.

Reactions: oilers'72

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
anyway back to the game

Late start time :( lately my son has been getting up at 5:30 ugh. Wakes me and Leah both. Been going to bed around 9. Doubt I’ll be able to watch much, but hopefully can watch the first period.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I deleted my comment. You beat me to it. It came off argumentative which I didn’t want. Trigged? May not be the right word for it, but annoyed. Implying someone can’t cook because they eat fast food is just an idiotic statement.

You drive automatic, means you obviously can’t drive standard. It’s cheaper on gas. Nope… I know how. Automatic is just more Convenient. Sometimes I even have a nice supper, but if it’s a Friday night and the game is at 8:30 I’ll order a burger.
Like I said I never even mentioned you. cheers.

I don't know I implied you or anybody here couldn't cook. I have neighbors that order skip the dishes 3 times a day, and they can't cook, and say so. People have often asked me now and before for recipes, feedback, which I've been happy to give. We even have a Canteen thread here which myself and others regularly contribute to.

I do know that being accomplished in the kitchen I eat better, and prepare better food, healthier, better tasting than almost anything found in a resto. To the degree that I vastly prefer my own food and so does anybody that eats over here. We get a lot of dinner guests in non Covid times. heh. I'm sure you've met people like that too, that invite you over for dinner and you are impressed. I've been cooking since I was 10.

ps I DRIVE automatic. Come at me bro! ;)

Sorry to have upset you

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: nally

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan

I don't know I implied you or anybody here couldn't cook. I have neighbors that order skip the dishes 3 times a day, and they can't cook, and say so. People have often asked me now and before for recipes, feedback, which I've been happy to give. We even have a Canteen thread here which myself and others regularly contribute to.

I do know that being accomplished in the kitchen I eat better, and prepare better food, healthier, better tasting than almost anything found in a resto. To the degree that I vastly prefer my own food and so does anybody that eats over here. We get a lot of dinner guests in non Covid times. heh. I'm sure you've met people like that too, that invite you over for dinner and you are impressed. I've been cooking since I was 10.

Sorry to have upset you
You said

“One of the best things you can do, is learn how to cook” lol

What does that say to you. Again I know what you’re trying to say but it was a poor choice of words. That implies people can’t cook. I’m saying we can cook. Joel (my co worker) hunts his own meat makes his own deer sausage, deer meat, deer soup. He’s a great cook and he gets pizza twice a week. Your sentence came off as people that eat out need to learn how to cook.

That’s how I took it anyway. Sorry if I miss read it, but it seemed pretty clear as day.

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019

ps I DRIVE automatic. Come at me bro! ;)

Sorry to have upset you

Official petition for a thread of drivesaitl’s recipes, garden setup, and other elderly wisdom!

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Nah, for some reason the NHL loves scheduling minimal games on Monday's featuring teams out of the playoffs. It's crazy how every Tuesday has like 10-14 games, but many Monday only have 1 or 2.
NHL doesn't want their Monday night ratings to get shit on for half the season by the NFL. From there out they just try to keep the schedule near enough the same since all the teams are into a routine. Same reason you have minimal games Sunday.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You said

“One of the best things you can do, is learn how to cook” lol

What does that say to you. Again I know what you’re trying to say but it was a poor choice of words. That implies people can’t cook. I’m saying we can cook. Joel (my co worker) hunts his own meat makes his own deer sausage, deer meat, deer soup. He’s a great cook and he gets pizza twice a week. Your sentence came off as people that eat out need to learn how to cook.

That’s how I took it anyway. Sorry if I miss read it, but it seemed pretty clear as day.
you quoted it out of context. This is the full sentence:

"Amazed the degree to which people waste their wallet and gut on fast food. One of the best things you can do for your health, and your budget is start learning how to cook and start doing it."

Poor choice of words as worded. I'll grant that. But with the proviso is that anybody we know that has learned how to cook well vastly prefers their own cooking. Take a glance at the Canteen thread and some of the acolytes there and how much they love their own food. I go to restos, fast food once in awhile and everytime go away thinking its substandard.

I never stated people "NEED" to learn how to cook. This is the difficulty when you put words in there that people didn't state. You took it how you wanted to. I said "one of the best things you can do for your health" and I stand by that.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the sidebar. I'm mister sidebar. I'll try to work the sidebar into Wild, wait, thanks, you did that with the wild meat (yum) sidebar so we're back on topic.

the bolded btw was referencing some of our neighbors (Not in words but in what I was stating) who never cook and who say they could burn water. heh

Reactions: tardigrade81

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad