Proposal: EDM - MIN

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
Olofsson, Soucy, Belpedio, Johansson(s). Nothing super high-end, but considering the age and quality of our current blueline it's not something we should trade a top-6 forward to address.
True about your current depth...not a growing concern for you I guess.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I'm sure you are - btw what measurements are you using to determine that Spurgeon is a top 30 D in the league?
I don’t think you’ll find many people who would disagree with that statement. Let’s just use this as a pointer: there are 31 teams in the league, Spurgeon would be a #1 on many of those teams, but a number 3 on very few. Probably just Nashville.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
First is a no from Edmonton.

Second Wild fans say no but I don't think the Oilers do it either.

Might have been worth a conversation before Bouchard was drafted but with him likely only a year or two away and the Oilers only legitimate top 6 forwards being McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge the Oilers just can't trade a top 6 forward.
I think you’re overvaluing Bouchard a bit. He should be a good NHL defender, but I heard most scouts say he has Calvin de Hann type potential. Not dying that’s bad, but the general consensus is that he won’t be this elite point producing defensmen. And even is he does become that, it’s likely 4-5 years away. I don’t think you want to waste years like that with McDavid.

Now I wouldn’t do the second trade, but I feel like Edmonton would be all over that. Maybe not. I’m not them. It seems they might be a few more peices away than just a #2 defender.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
To be honest I would be really interested in Pulju. With the wingers we currently have, and the wingers coming up in the system, we’re going to have to move someone eventually. I’m aware Pulju is a winger but if he has a good year this year, I think we could get him at a really good price with him having the potential to explode.

All I’m saying is that
Zucker, Parise, Coyle, Nino, Granlund, Kaprizov, Greenway, kunin, can’t all be wingers in the same team. If we get Pulju on a good contract, we can package a couple of wingers together for a good center. If that’s not available, then we could package them for prospects to restore the cupboard. We would free up cap space to take a run at free agents down the middle. Especially with the young guys being on entry level deals/love money deals.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Fully understand the line in the sand on Drai...After all Wild fans have been complaining about/lusting after center depth the entire history of this franchise.
I would (and wouldn't from an Oiler standpoint) trade Dumba for Draisaitl right now but honestly I'd have a fair share of misgivings about it--not that I think Drai will disappoint at all but I think Dumba is going to wind up scary- good and a right shot offensive D man capable of top pair minutes is going to be harder to replace (TOI-wise) than even a great C like Draisaitl.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Drai just won't be moving

We have no wingers, so moving RNH for a dman will just make us worse

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think you’re overvaluing Bouchard a bit. He should be a good NHL defender, but I heard most scouts say he has Calvin de Hann type potential. Not dying that’s bad, but the general consensus is that he won’t be this elite point producing defensmen. And even is he does become that, it’s likely 4-5 years away. I don’t think you want to waste years like that with McDavid.

Now I wouldn’t do the second trade, but I feel like Edmonton would be all over that. Maybe not. I’m not them. It seems they might be a few more peices away than just a #2 defender.

That's an odd comparison considering they are almost complete opposites as players. I'd be interested to know what scouts those are too, as their scouting reports tend to read very differently.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'm seeing that Wild fans are interested in Pulju. Is there a deal to be made here?
Pulju + 3rd for Kunin + Sokolov?
Change the 3rd to a 2nd? Too much?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Even a cursory glance on Google shows scouts are quite bullish on Bouchard. Calvin De Haan? That is a pretty poor comparison.

He has even been drawing comparisons to Washington Capitals all-star defensemen John Carlson according to Knights head coach Dale Hunter.
“They’re both offensive D and (Bouchard) is right there (at the same age),” Hunter said. “He’s big and strong. He can skate and shoot and he’s got a good head. The numbers may be there too. He’ll be right around there,” Hunter said to the London Free Press in early February.

-TheHockeyWriters.com

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Even a cursory glance on Google shows scouts are quite bullish on Bouchard. Calvin De Haan? That is a pretty poor comparison.

He has even been drawing comparisons to Washington Capitals all-star defensemen John Carlson according to Knights head coach Dale Hunter.
“They’re both offensive D and (Bouchard) is right there (at the same age),” Hunter said. “He’s big and strong. He can skate and shoot and he’s got a good head. The numbers may be there too. He’ll be right around there,” Hunter said to the London Free Press in early February.

-TheHockeyWriters.com
He gonna be good

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
The Wild's lack of depth was exposed last season with all the injuries. Draisitl would be a great add, but not at the expense of multiple high-end players. The cap difference would only allow the Wild to add another grinder. Take JEE out, and I'd say yes.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
That's an odd comparison considering they are almost complete opposites as players. I'd be interested to know what scouts those are too, as their scouting reports tend to read very differently.
Cory Pronman if the Athletic stated that scouts he’s talked to say that’s the level defensmen they see him developing into. I cannot remember which article that was in. He writes a lot of draft articles. He doesn’t seem to think Bouchard has that type of potential. I would be interested to know who those scouts are as well.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm seeing that Wild fans are interested in Pulju. Is there a deal to be made here?
Pulju + 3rd for Kunin + Sokolov?
Change the 3rd to a 2nd? Too much?
I think the Wild would have to look at that. Certainly not an unfair trade, but also not one that either team has to make. Who knows what any of them are, really? I don't know if having Koivu and Granlund around would help Pulju feel more comfortable and aid his development.

Pulju is certainly not the C that the Wild crave, nor Sokolov + Kunin the RHD.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think the Wild would have to look at that. Certainly not an unfair trade, but also not one that either team has to make. Who knows what any of them are, really? I don't know if having Koivu and Granlund around would help Pulju feel more comfortable and aid his development.

Pulju is certainly not the C that the Wild crave, nor Sokolov + Kunin the RHD.
It's just a bit of a change of scenery ish thing. We give up the guy with way higher upside but bank on us being able to develop a guy that actually knows English and add another young winger winger with decent upside. You guys add the guy with huge potential and Koivu/Granlund taking him under their wing and helping him with his supposed immaturity and language issues

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Hopkins isn't getting traded till at least the end of next season. He'll put up 80+ points playing on McDavid's wing next season it'll make his HF value soar.

The OP here does nothing for Edmonton but create more holes.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Hopkins isn't getting traded till at least the end of next season. He'll put up 80+ points playing on McDavid's wing next season it'll make his HF value soar.

The OP here does nothing for Edmonton but create more holes.
His HF value will not sore. Because everyone will view him as a winger that is nothing without Mcdavid. See exhibit A: Leon Draisaitl

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Was he playing at center or the wing?
Entirely at center. With his main winger being Lucic /Maroon and then a rotating unimpressive cast at RW.

Needless to say it was a very good season for RNH. It may surprise people but his stats didn't really go up with McDavid, he continued to produce around the same pace. A little over 63ish points. Its McDavids stats who shot up once RNH was put on his wing, thats why Oilers fans are hoping to see that combo again to start the year.

Note: Over his last 24 games of the season, (I think 3/4 of those were on wing with McDavid a few were with Draisaitl) he scored 19 points, good for a 65 point season pace, and thus a very slight increase from his totals at center.
Nonetheless he is relatively young, has a good contract, is excellent defensively, and he is really filling into offensive form now that he's in his mid twenties. He is a low-end 1C and thats extremely valuable to have- especially when your team only has 3 good forwards on the entire roster. So thats why Oiler fan will say no, even thought Spurgeon/Dumba are excellent pieces as well.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
His HF value will not sore. Because everyone will view him as a winger that is nothing without Mcdavid. See exhibit A: Leon Draisaitl

If Rattie or Puljujarvi are playing on the RW on a line that productive I think people will see it differently. It will essentially be McDavid, Hopkins and a fire hydrant. Shades of the 80's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad