Proposal: EDM - MIN

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
There’s been endless threads on the topic. The only pieces of yours that we have varying degrees of interest in are players that you guys aren’t interested in moving

Almost all posters want to "take advantage" of the other side... quality for quantity deals only usually happen when one side needs it to happenwhich is why there is rarely ever an consensus agreed upon trade on HF.

Spurgeon vs. RNH is fairly close in value... maybe a small add from the Oiler's side.
Draisaitl vs. Dumba is fairly close in value... mabe a small add from the Wild's side.

I don't see either side entertaining the Draisaitl/Dumba deal. The Spurgeon/RNH swap could happen if both GMs were committed to it.

Edit: Upcoming Expansion Draft makes the Oilers trading for a Dman a more challenging decision.

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Playing center with studs like Slepyshev, Lucic, Maroon, Caggiulla on his wings.
Gotcha. That's definitely more promising, though obviously it's just a partial season. I still don't think I'd trade Spurgeon for him, but I get why the Oilers are probably better off hanging on to him.

Reactions: 780il

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
not a bad offer to the Oilers actually but i fear the Wild fans wouldn't like it. man if the Oilers could score Zucker and Spurgeon for Leon they should go for it !! o_O
Not sure Spurgeon and Zucker would entice the Oilers to move Draistl - they are building with him and McDavid as the focal points. Everyone really likes Spurgeon - not sure why....he is good, but not great by any means.

only way they move Draistl is if Lucic contract goes with - give up the best asset in Draistl and then package with the ugly duckling Looch. It would be nice to see any epic trade no matter the team tho!!

Reactions: 780il

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Almost all posters want to "take advantage" of the other side... quality for quantity deals only usually happen when one side needs it to happenwhich is why there is rarely ever an consensus agreed upon trade on HF.

Spurgeon vs. RNH is fairly close in value... maybe a small add from the Oiler's side.
Draisaitl vs. Dumba is fairly close in value... mabe a small add from the Wild's side.

I don't see either side entertaining the Draisaitl/Dumba deal. The Spurgeon/RNH swap could happen if both GMs were committed to it.

Edit: Upcoming Expansion Draft makes the Oilers trading for a Dman a more challenging decision.

I am not even sure Dumba gets the deal done for Draistl, nor do I think the Oilers want to part ways with him. However they did trade Hall for Larson so anything is possible LOL.

RNH is a weird one - dont know how to a sense of his true value - shows glimmers of being good then fades away for many games etc. I am curious to see what value he would fetch for the oilers.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I am not even sure Dumba gets the deal done for Draistl, nor do I think the Oilers want to part ways with him. However they did trade Hall for Larson so anything is possible LOL.

RNH is a weird one - dont know how to a sense of his true value - shows glimmers of being good then fades away for many games etc. I am curious to see what value he would fetch for the oilers.

For sure. I am an Oiler fan and really like Draisaitl, but if Dumba shows more of what he did last year... a 14G 50P RH Dman who plays 24 minutes per game with a decent defensive game... then he arguably becomes more valuable than Draisaitl. I am curious what Dumba's contract will come in at, as that will be a big factor in his value.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Last year yes - which is why I took a look back to 13/14. He has never been below .50/game and often in the .60 - .70 range.

Seriously guys at least get your facts straight. He player like 12-14 games with McD last year.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
For sure. I am an Oiler fan and really like Draisaitl, but if Dumba shows more of what he did last year... a 14G 50P RH Dman who plays 24 minutes per game with a decent defensive game... then he arguably becomes more valuable than Draisaitl. I am curious what Dumba's contract will come in at, as that will be a big factor in his value.

Russo has been saying Dumba is close and wants to stay in Minnesota. That’s all we know. Hopefully it’s not too high of an AAV. Russo has been speculating that Minnesota could be cautious to lock up Dumba long term, I can’t remember what his reason were though. My gut tells my something close to 5years x 6

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Not sure Spurgeon and Zucker would entice the Oilers to move Draistl - they are building with him and McDavid as the focal points. Everyone really likes Spurgeon - not sure why....he is good, but not great by any means.

only way they move Draistl is if Lucic contract goes with - give up the best asset in Draistl and then package with the ugly duckling Looch. It would be nice to see any epic trade no matter the team tho!!
Spurgeon is great. Can’t really change your opinion though.

All I’m gonna say is that a deal with lucic coming back doesn’t work for Minnesota. Doesn’t matter what the deal looks like.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Want Drai? It would cost Dumba++
Oilers have zero reason to trade him

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
To EDM -
Spurgeon
JEE
Zucker or Nino

To Min -
Drai

I guess my question to EDM fans is - Does this work as a basis or do you hang up if you don't first hear the name Dumba?

Or

To EDM -
Spurgeon

To MIN-
RNH

Thoughts on something like this?

RNH for Spurgeon is fair in my opinion.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
RNH also played with McDavid last year to increase his scoring rate. The two years prior he was at a .55 ppg which is like 46 points a season? Either way, he’s never ACTUALLY put up any more points than the likes of Coyle, Nino and Zucker. He’s also the same age as them so it’s not like age is a factor.

Secondly, you say we have the depth to replace Nino and your solution is Greenway or Kunin? You see those guys putting up 50-60 points this year? Cause I don’t.

Lastly, Faulk is a massive downgrade from Spurgeon. RNH is NOT a massive upgrade from Nino. You definitely address the whole “making a deal just to make a deal” thing, but that doesn’t make us better and I don’t think any GM would downgrade from Spurgeon to Faulk just to go from Nino to RNH. And to answer your other question, no I don’t have the stats to support Spurgeon being a top 30 defenseman, but it’s been discussed before and his underlying stats indicate he is a great possession and defensive player.

Last year Nuge was asked by the coach to concentrate more on offense and in the first 49 games without McDavid he had 17 goals and 33 points. That prorates to 28 goals and 55 points with very few pp points and with wingers who were not really effective. With McDavid in 13 games he had 7 goals and 15 points. That would prorate to 44 goals and 95 points. It is of course a small sample size but Nuge's game meshes extremely well with McDavid's. It would seem to be the smart move to simply keep Nuge where he is.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Spurgeon is great. Can’t really change your opinion though.

All I’m gonna say is that a deal with lucic coming back doesn’t work for Minnesota. Doesn’t matter what the deal looks like.

Yeah, perhaps I haven't seen enough of him playing to appreciate his game. I just never really had him as a number 1 or 2 D- Man. Maybe a number 3 borderline 2 - but you are right from opinion side of things that it could be related to me not seeing him play enough to fully appreciate his value.

Yeah the comment was more about Draistl as Nino or Zucker aren't what I would call game changers like Leon can be (albeit both players have talent and not terrible hockey players by any means any team would like to have them). Hence mentioning that if the oilers are really wanting to move Draistl the only chance they may look at a deal is to move a dead weight contract like Lucic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad