Speculation: EDM - FLA (Yak)

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Umm, Lucic and Pulju say hello.

Its time to move on with the Yakupov train....he hasn't shown an ounce of actually getting better, in fact, hes somewhat regressed.

If we can get Petrovic for Yak, Chia should take that and run. I do hope Yakupov figured it out and becomes a solid NHLer..but it wont be in EDM. Not to mention Petrovic is younger and cheaper and out produced both Gryba and Schenn last season..and as you mentioned, is a local boy.

If Edmonton wants to keep Davidson/Reinhart, Yakupov is a legit option for Vegas. He's a good problem to have.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
That's a joke for Toronto trading decent assets for a bust and a dump

PASS

Those weren't decent assets. It's a waiver dump, cap dump and MAYBE a 3rd line scorer. Yak is still likely a 2nd line scorer. He also still has much more upside then Leivo. Not that it says much.

As a leaf fan I'm not overly interested in Yak, but that was an insulting offer, IMO.

DasKaiser

Jun 7, 2016

Its time to move on with the Yakupov train....he hasn't shown an ounce of actually getting better, in fact, hes somewhat regressed.

If we can get Petrovic for Yak, Chia should take that and run. I do hope Yakupov figured it out and becomes a solid NHLer..but it wont be in EDM. Not to mention Petrovic is younger and cheaper and out produced both Gryba and Schenn last season..and as you mentioned, is a local boy.

Agree fully, time to move on. Yak needs a new place to call his hockey home.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
With Hall leaving, we probably could use Yakupov and his potential for offense. I'd rather run with another year of Yakupov to see if he can take advantage of an available spot in the top six. Petrovic is nice and is a local kid but we'd be better off bringing back Gryba or signing Luke Schenn.

Petrovic is better than both. Especially Schenn.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Normally I would say yes to the OP but Petrovic(who I am a fan of) doesn't bring anything more than being a right handed shot. I'm not confident in Puljujarvi being ready for top 6 minutes next season, and there's no way Kassian should be in the top 6.
Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Maroon-RNH-Yakupov
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian

defense is still a **** show

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
With Hall leaving, we probably could use Yakupov and his potential for offense. I'd rather run with another year of Yakupov to see if he can take advantage of an available spot in the top six. Petrovic is nice and is a local kid but we'd be better off bringing back Gryba or signing Luke Schenn.

There isn't an available spot in the top six, it actually got worse for Yakupov. Hall's spot is taken by Lucic and Puilijujarvi is probably already a better player then Yakupov. He has 5 players ahead of him for 4 spots, Lucic, Pouliot, Maroon, Eberle and Puujijarvi. Possibly Draisaitl if TM puts him on the RW. Last season TM was even playing Pakarinen ahead of Yakupov.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
There isn't an available spot in the top six, it actually got worse for Yakupov. Hall's spot is taken by Lucic and Puilijujarvi is probably already a better player then Yakupov. He has 5 players ahead of him for 4 spots, Lucic, Pouliot, Maroon, Eberle and Puujijarvi. Possibly Draisaitl if TM puts him on the RW. Last season TM was even playing Pakarinen ahead of Yakupov.

The only hope for Yak is if TM tries to run 3 completely balanced scoring lines (as close to possible that is)

Lucic - McDavid - Yak
Pouliot - Nuge - Pulujarvi
Maroon - Draisaitl - Eberle

Or some such nonsense.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary

I'd give Yak the first 10-15 games with anyone other than letestu. With the proper linemates, he could put up similar numbers to Eberle. I'd personally start him with McDavid and Lucic.

As disappointing as he has been, the Oilers organizations mishandling of yak is equally responsible for that. He has shown glimpses of being a really good player, it's just a matter of getting his confidence up, making him feel like he's an important piece of this team going forward. He's always had to play second fiddle to Hall, nuge & ebs. Hall's departure should motivate some of our other forwards to step up and take a bigger role with the club. Let's give them some games to grasp the opportunity.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I'd give Yak the first 10-15 games with anyone other than letestu. With the proper linemates, he could put up similar numbers to Eberle. I'd personally start him with McDavid and Lucic.

As disappointing as he has been, the Oilers organizations mishandling of yak is equally responsible for that. He has shown glimpses of being a really good player, it's just a matter of getting his confidence up, making him feel like he's an important piece of this team going forward. He's always had to play second fiddle to Hall, nuge & ebs. Hall's departure should motivate some of our other forwards to step up and take a bigger role with the club. Let's give them some games to grasp the opportunity.

I agree with this thinking.

DasKaiser

Jun 7, 2016

Let's hope some of this comes about. Only thing is, he has to take some responsibility. With the coach he had this year and continued to do moves like he was in junior, did raise questions about his ability to be coached. I like the 15 games which includes preseason, then go from there. Unless......a trade that would involve a off. Dman.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Let's hope some of this comes about. Only thing is, he has to take some responsibility. With the coach he had this year and continued to do moves like he was in junior, did raise questions about his ability to be coached. I like the 15 games which includes preseason, then go from there. Unless......a trade that would involve a off. Dman.

I would prefer they give him at least 25 NHL games (IMO, pre-season means nothing in this respect) where is allowed to play with offensively minded linemates (TOI > 17:00/gp)and at least on the second PP unit (>2:00 PP TOI/gp)... in all of the years Yak has been on the team he has not been given this opportunity... maybe a bit in his rookie year.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
D take time to develop and I feel Petrovic has untapped potential.

He is fairly big, he's mean and can move the puck well. He hasn't been given much opportunity to play an offensive role but was dynamite with the Rebels in junior when he was given the chance.

If we could get him for Yakupov I'd do it.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Petrovic is better than both. Especially Schenn.

I'd hope so. The other two don't have jobs right now.

I'd take the free one though.

Let's let JP put a jersey on before penciling him into the top six.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
If Oilers can somehow turn Yakupov into Bjugstad I'd be pretty pretty happy :)

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
So they upgraded on all 3 d-men and still need Petrovic, wow.

Jury is still out on if they upgraded their d core.. petro only has just over 100 nhl games under his belt... not interested in yak at all in anyway shape or form

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
So they upgraded on all 3 d-men and still need Petrovic, wow.

It's pretty smart of the Panthers to not solely rely on Petrovic and or Pysyk to be the third defenceman. Neither has solidified themselves as NHLers so they let them battle it out and let the cream rise to the top.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If Oilers can somehow turn Yakupov into Bjugstad I'd be pretty pretty happy :)

giphy.gif

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

I agree with this post. One word.....

EAKINS.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
why so they can add more forwards and never let the kids come up.... THERE IS TOO MANY FORWARDS NOW. I do not understand why people don`t get this . If anything Toronto is going to subtract from the offense not add. Yak is not worth plugging up the spots. Just because you could make a better offer doesn`t mean you should do it.

Yak is 23. I don't think it's really the same as signing Carlos Beltran while Aaron Judge rides the bus (this isn't an example I used because you're a Devils fan/assumingly from New Jersey, I'm a Yankee fan myself and it was the first thing off the top of my head).

That said, Yak plays the right side. Komarov played there last year and did well there on a line with Kadri and JVR. I'd assume they like the balance there and end up keeping it together. So then you have Nylander and Marner on the right side. Hard to do the whole "he hasn't been in a good situation in Edmonton" bit and then have him on the fourth line, so I'm still pretty sure Toronto shouldn't get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad