Speculation: EDM - FLA (Yak)

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Not quite a rumour but there were rumblings in some of the Oilers blogs I follow. To me Petrovic looks like a right handed number 5 (not quite what Edmonton needs). Especially not that prime puck mover. And Florida's top 6 RW is set but what does everyone else think of this. It doesnt really make sense to me, i think edmonton needs to hold on to Yak.

Yakupov

For

Petrovic + pick

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
With Hall leaving, we probably could use Yakupov and his potential for offense. I'd rather run with another year of Yakupov to see if he can take advantage of an available spot in the top six. Petrovic is nice and is a local kid but we'd be better off bringing back Gryba or signing Luke Schenn.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Campbell, kulikov , Gudbranson out... Yandle, Pysyk, Demers in... panthers need Petrovic. .. don't see how panthers would be interested in this

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
leafs could make a better offer for yak.......

why so they can add more forwards and never let the kids come up.... THERE IS TOO MANY FORWARDS NOW. I do not understand why people don`t get this . If anything Toronto is going to subtract from the offense not add. Yak is not worth plugging up the spots. Just because you could make a better offer doesn`t mean you should do it.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Right now we need Petro, since we traded Gudbranson and Kulikov. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind this.

But you still have 12,834 other defencemen.

Yak for either of Petrovic or Pysyk helps both clubs:

Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr
Jokinen-Trocheck-Smith
McCann-Bjugstad-Yakupov
MacKenzie-Bolland-Sceviour
Thornton Marchessault

Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-Demers
Kindl-Pysyk/Petrovic
Kampfer

With McCoshen et al pushing from the rear.

I could see Yak doing very well in that situation- he gets a big body to help set the tone physically, and has the playmaking skills to set up McCann while creating havoc with his speed and hustle. That's certainly a better pair of linemates than he's had for most of his time here, outside of 20-some games with McDavid and a couple short stints with RNH.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
People/Fans need to realize Yakupov is staying . Chia has said Yakupov never asked him for a trade . It is only Yakupov agent saying this and he is a known mouth piece . I think it was pretty clear when Chia made the statement he wasn't moving Yak " Offers were probably too low " So he put a stop to the rumours by him saying yak never asked him for a trade . If he was trading Yak he would have probably kept quiet

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
why so they can add more forwards and never let the kids come up.... THERE IS TOO MANY FORWARDS NOW. I do not understand why people don`t get this . If anything Toronto is going to subtract from the offense not add. Yak is not worth plugging up the spots. Just because you could make a better offer doesn`t mean you should do it.

I would offer Laich+Corrado+Leivo for Ference+Yakupov.

EDM gets a good vet, a RHD, a depth winger who has played well in his small sample of games, and says bye to Ference.

TOR gets Yakupov and clears a bit of room in terms of roster players.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
But you still have 12,834 other defencemen.

Yak for either of Petrovic or Pysyk helps both clubs:

Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr
Jokinen-Trocheck-Smith
McCann-Bjugstad-Yakupov
MacKenzie-Bolland-Sceviour
Thornton Marchessault

Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-Demers
Kindl-Pysyk/Petrovic
Kampfer

With McCoshen et al pushing from the rear.

I could see Yak doing very well in that situation- he gets a big body to help set the tone physically, and has the playmaking skills to set up McCann while creating havoc with his speed and hustle. That's certainly a better pair of linemates than he's had for most of his time here, outside of 20-some games with McDavid and a couple short stints with RNH.
As far as this defensive core, when you factor in quality and experience, it's not that deep.
The bolded due to quality or experience is not something you want to go into an NHL season as being counted on being in your top six. And that's with people expecting this club to start contending (I'm not quite there yet though). And McCoshen and anyone behind him are nothing as far as counting on them to step right in and be a solid defenseman in the NHL for an 82 season.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
When you factor in quality and the experience, it's not that deep.
The bolded due to quality or experience is not something you want to go into an NHL season as being counted on being in your top six. And that's with people expecting this club to start contending (I'm not quite there yet though).

If Matheson's as good as advertised, he'll be fine with Demers. Kindl is perfectly in line with most #6s and Petrovic/Pysyk aren't exactly vets but they do have some NHL experience. You can always complement that group with a UFA or a trade deadline pickup.

And, personally, I think there's a good chance Tallon signs Russell too. The space is there and that would kick Matheson down to the third pair to start his NHL career, with Vegas likely to claim Russell next season. It'd be a nice one-year rental sort of thing to help MM acclimate to the NHL.

Also, what's the deal with Petrovic suddenly following a bunch of Edmonton media on Twitter?

EDIT: Looks like he's doing that because of an Edmonton-area golf tournament he's playing in.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Just keep Yak.. IMO Petrovic isn't Oilers dman they need and Yakupov wont get them that top puck moving dman they still need. Yakupov's stock isn't very high but IMO he has potential to have a above average season coming up(Ive been thinking this every year since rookie year so MAYBE next season will be the one)

Next season is Yakupov's final year of his contract. That will be his make or break year cause if he has another bad season, who really knows what will happen. If I'm Oilers though, I roll the dice and keep him and see what he's got. Keep him around, show confidence in him and as I said, we MAY see something special, but then again we may see a trainwreck... but roll the dice Chia!!!

imapylon

Mar 6, 2016

Totally agree dude. Leafs aren't looking for any forwards.....as far as this deal goes I think Edmonton should hold onto Yakupov for one more season. At least hope to increase is value before moving him if they still want to move him

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
With Hall leaving, we probably could use Yakupov and his potential for offense. I'd rather run with another year of Yakupov to see if he can take advantage of an available spot in the top six. Petrovic is nice and is a local kid but we'd be better off bringing back Gryba or signing Luke Schenn.

I think the oielrs would be smart taking this approach. Go after a Schenn or Wiz UFA

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
If Matheson's as good as advertised, he'll be fine with Demers. Kindl is perfectly in line with most #6s and Petrovic/Pysyk aren't exactly vets but they do have some NHL experience. You can always complement that group with a UFA or a trade deadline pickup.

And, personally, I think there's a good chance Tallon signs Russell too. The space is there and that would kick Matheson down to the third pair to start his NHL career, with Vegas likely to claim Russell next season. It'd be a nice one-year rental sort of thing to help MM acclimate to the NHL.

Also, what's the deal with Petrovic suddenly following a bunch of Edmonton media on Twitter?

EDIT: Looks like he's doing that because of an Edmonton-area golf tournament he's playing in.
Matheson has like...6 games NHL experience. I don't care how good he looked, I'm not throwing him in the water to sink or swim. And every other guy you just mentioned below Demers is very meh. And even though you think we're signing Russell, I'll just go with the lineup we have now, thanks. :)

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Umm, Lucic and Pulju say hello.

Its time to move on with the Yakupov train....he hasn't shown an ounce of actually getting better, in fact, hes somewhat regressed.

If we can get Petrovic for Yak, Chia should take that and run. I do hope Yakupov figured it out and becomes a solid NHLer..but it wont be in EDM. Not to mention Petrovic is younger and cheaper and out produced both Gryba and Schenn last season..and as you mentioned, is a local boy.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
I would offer Laich+Corrado+Leivo for Ference+Yakupov.

EDM gets a good vet, a RHD, a depth winger who has played well in his small sample of games, and says bye to Ference.

TOR gets Yakupov and clears a bit of room in terms of roster players.

That's a joke for Toronto trading decent assets for a bust and a dump

PASS

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad