Confirmed with Link: [EDM/FLA] Jerred Smithson for a 4th Round Pick

Turrican*

Who cares about our 3rd and 4ths... We never get anything good from those anyway.
One every 20 is a roster player?

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
To put it into perspective, we traded the same thing for an ageing, struggling 4C who's a UFA that we traded Brodziak , who was already offensively and defensively better than a 4th liner, still in his 20s and under RFA protection, and under contract.

I don't mind the pick-up but Tambellini constantly shows an inability to manage assets in a savvy manner. That's my concern.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Good move. UFA after this season, but current cap hit is only $800K. Can win face-offs and his offense is realistically better than Belanger has given us. If Tambellini can turn Belanger into something better than a 4th round pick, I'd say he's done a very good job.

tough to trade a injured guy who hasnt done squat. Trading Belanger would have been a miracle...or blackmail

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To put it into perspective, we traded the same thing for an ageing, struggling 4C who's a UFA that we traded Brodziak , who was already offensively and defensively better than a 4th liner, still in his 20s and under RFA protection, and under contract.

I don't mind the pick-up but Tambellini constantly shows an inability to manage assets in a savvy manner. That's my concern.

Thats a valid concern and its my concern as well.

The only ray of hope is that Tambo is actually learning from his (many) previous bouts of stupidity.

Thats the only thing that enables me to look forward...the carnage in the rear view mirror is brutal.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003

Except this trade and that trade are mutually exclusive, so I don't see what you're getting at.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Brodziak development in Edmonton stalled--at the time it did not look like he was going to become a good 3rd liner. Also the difference in value between 4th and 7th round pick is probably quite negligible looking at the prospect pool.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
So I'm wondering how our line's are going to work out..

Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Paajarvi - Gagner - Hemsky
Jones - Horcoff - Yakupov
Petrell - Smithson - Brown

I like that lineup, I just don't think they'll sit out Smyth. Petrell probably scratch (ugh)

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
i'll become a fan of this deal if we move out petrell/belanger/jones.
otherwise its just meh, clogging things up.

-he is the 7th best pk centerman in the game.
-Strong right hand draw.
-historically has a zone start of 30-36%.
-Facing 1st and 2nd Comp.
-His offence is above the league average for this role.
-he is -1 every 12 games. that is +12 versus the average for the season.
-that frees up two other lines to be in the +60% zone start range.
which should cause around .60P/60 for each player on those lines at even.

Eberle is 1.94P/60 with a 51.5% zone start.
I would like to see the 61% zone start eberle
who was 3.08P/60

Smithson eating defensive zone play. will make one heck of a difference.

LEARN THE GAME!

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Good trade for a 4th rounder only. Hopefully he is not too long with the baby. But Tambo needs to convince him that the weather is getting better in Edmonton and that baby and mom will be taken care of.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
-Strong right hand draw.

who was 3.08P/60

LEARN THE GAME!

Horcoff > Crosby...

Marc Arcobello is a first line NHL center...

Fistric should be facing top NHL opposition...

If you want to yell at people to "learn the game", would you please, for the love of god, learn the basics of how advanced stats are applied to individual player evaluation??

I'm assuming you still want Fistric to see the opponent's best lines because of his numbers as well?

Last edited:

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
So we have 26 guys up, with 2 on IR (Belanger and Sutton). Does this mean Lander is on his way back down?

You betcha. As far as I know he has already be re-assigned. At least I'm sure that's what I heard over Oilers radio. If not yet, then shortly before Smithson joins the team.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
You betcha. As far as I know he has already be re-assigned. At least I'm sure that's what I heard over Oilers radio. If not yet, then shortly before Smithson joins the team.

It was my understanding after the TD teams can carry any number of players on roster

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Lander was re-assigned, he'll be back tomorrow (rosters expand) and Smithson will join the team on the California leg, as he and his Fiancee just had a child unit.

Edit: 402, it starts at midnight.

Koto

May 3, 2011
-Strong right hand draw.

who was 3.08P/60

LEARN THE GAME!

7th best according to what? hes apart of the worst PKing team in the last 3 years.

and at ES he was outshot 21-28 per 60, while the panthers were out shot 31-32 with him off the ice.

just what we need another 4th liner who contributes to fire drills in our own end, him and petrell will make a wonderful combination.

this is exactly the type of player that will be a go-to when its time for wreck-it-ralph to take over.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
So apparently we won't be getting Smithson into the lineup until the California trip?

So he's going to miss 20% of the rest of the season before we even see him in Oilers silks? That kinda sucks...

McSaviour

Mar 6, 2013
Edmonton
Good trade for a 4th rounder only. Hopefully he is not too long with the baby. But Tambo needs to convince him that the weather is getting better in Edmonton and that baby and mom will be taken care of.

you can't fly with a newborn.. so the wifey would probably stay in florida for the time being

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
Lander was re-assigned, he'll be back tomorrow (rosters expand) and Smithson will join the team on the California leg, as he and his Fiancee just had a child unit.

Edit: 402, it starts at midnight.

Thanks. I was aware of Smithsons circumstances and when he would join the team just wasn't aware of the roster expansion.

Would be nice to see Lander get the opportunity to play when recalled. Quite a misuse of talent if you ask me. Might as well have recalled Vandevelde and left Lander down in OKC where he was tearing it up of late.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Thanks. I was aware of Smithsons circumstances and when he would join the team just wasn't aware of the roster expansion.

Would be nice to see Lander get the opportunity to play when recalled. Quite a misuse of talent if you ask me. Might as well have recalled Vandevelde and left Lander down in OKC where he was tearing it up of late.

I was thinking they'll recall Hartikainen as well. We'll probably see Lander as the 4th line center tomorrow, with the back to backs, and I was wondering if we see Lander on the 3rd line for Jones?

Extra center and possibly a guy with offense? Who knows

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Smithson is very good faceoff guy, maybe he could do for the current group what Oates did for Horcoff and Stoll, help them be better faceoff men? Not saying he can, but he's very good at them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad