Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Ryan McLeod re-signs with the Oilers (2 years, $2.1M AAV)

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Different situation and circumstance but I think that locks Pinto in at around 2m.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I thought about 2m. Paying 2.1m getting 2 years and his doing is a favour last time and getting to avoid the arbitration process this works for me.

We now know what we have to work with to sign Bouchard

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Interesting. That's a little bit more than i would've expected. Not a lot, but i thought they'd manage to squeeze him a bit more.

Could even be good value in that second year, if he continues to improve.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Great deal, on the low end of what was expected, especially considering his comparables. He's had better stats than Howden ($1.9Mx2), and Kurashev ($2.25Mx2), and at least as good as Frederic ($2.3Mx2). He actually plays C most of the time, unlike those three who mostly play W, so he's in the premium position.

He definitely left money on the table. Nice signing by Holland.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Meh,

I don't think he's good enough to be our 3C, and the money would have been better spent elsewhere.

He's an above-average 4th liner to me. Wish we kept Kostin or Bjukstad instead. I sort of think there's plenty of guys in free agency who would bring more for league-min.

(before the pitchforks come out)
I REALLY hope he proves me wrong

Let me rephrase this:

Lets say we didn't qualify him, and we just let him test the UFA market.
Does anyone else think he would get $2.1 on the open market?

I get the feeling he would be extremely lucky to get an offer for $1.5, and none of them would be from playoff teams.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Meh,

I don't think he's good enough to be our 3C, and the money would have been better spent elsewhere.

He's an above-average 4th liner to me. Wish we kept Kostin or Bjukstad instead. I sort of think there's plenty of guys in free agency who would bring more for league-min.

Let me rephrase this:

I get the feeling he would be extremely lucky to get an offer for $1.5, and none of them would be from playoff teams.
he had 11 goals and 23 points in only 57 games, with minimal PP time and is only entering his third full season at 23

those are 3rd line stats

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
he had 11 goals and 23 points in only 57 games, with minimal PP time and is only entering his third full season at 23

those are 3rd line stats
I guess I really don't care much for the regular season anymore.

But we lost in the playoffs to the Knights who were running William Karlsson on their 3rd line where McLeod scored a whopping 0 goals.

Next year the Kings will be running Kopitar-Danault-Dubois down their middle.
Noted playoff choker Tyler Seguin is playing on Dallas' 3rd line and he put up 5 goals and 9 points.

We can talk about regular season stats in isolation of anything else, but what we are looking for is a 3rd line Center who can come out even against the 3rd liners on contending teams in a playoff series.

Do we honestly want that McLeod vs Karlsson/Dubois matchup in the playoffs next year?
Tampa often runs Cirelli on their 3rd line. Jordan Staal is 3C on the Canes. Chytil is the 3C for the Rags. Devils have Erik Haula.

All of these 3Cs are currently MUCH better than McLeod.

Hell, even the Flames are running Backlund on their 3rd.

So yes, I will concede his Regular season stats might be 3C worthy. But we aren't playing for the regular season anymore. This team is cup or bust, and I don't think McLeod is the 3C that can tread water against the 3Cs of other contenders.

I wanna end this rant with:

I HOPE HE PROVES ME WRONG.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

But we lost in the playoffs to the Knights who were running William Karlsson on their 3rd line where McLeod scored a whopping 0 goals.

Noted playoff choker Tyler Seguin is playing on Dallas' 3rd line and he put up 5 goals and 9 points.

We can talk about stats in isolation of anything else, but what we are looking for is a 3rd line Center who can come out even against the 3rd liners on contending teams.

Do we honestly want that McLeod vs Karlsson/Dubois matchup in the playoffs next year?
Tampa often runs Cirelli on their 3rd line. Jordan Staal is 3C on the Canes. Chytil is the 3C for the Rags.

So yes, I will concede his Regular season stats might be 3C worthy. But we aren't playing for the regular season anymore. This team is cup or bust, and I don't think McLeod is the 3C that can tread water against the 3Cs of other contenders.
fine if playoffs are all that matter, then McLeod scored 3 goals in 2022...the same amount "established" top line players as Evander Kane had this year in the playoffs

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

We can talk about stats in isolation of anything else, but what we are looking for is a 3rd line Center who can come out even against the 3rd liners on contending teams.

Tampa often runs Cirelli on their 3rd line. Jordan Staal is 3C on the Canes. Chytil is the 3C for the Rags. Devils have Erik Haula.

Every guy you mentioned in here was making piles more than McLeod. Staal this year at 2.9mil is the exception, but last year he was making 6mil.

Would it make you feel better if we flip just go Connor-Leon-RNH down the middle and move McLeod over to wing?

The way this team is structured there is no room to be paying 5mil-10mil for a third line center.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Every guy you mentioned in here was making piles more than McLeod. Staal this year at 2.9mil is the exception, but last year he was making 6mil.

Would it make you feel better if we flip just go Connor-Leon-RNH down the middle and move McLeod over to wing?

The way this team is structured there is no room to be paying 5mil-10mil for a third line center.
I've been very vocal about using RNH as 3C for years.

So yes.
100% we should be doing that.

McLeod to me right now as of this very moment is not a movable contract at $2m. If we offer him up as trade bait, it is very doubtful that a single team would be interested at that cap hit for 2 years.

So he HAS to be good, or we're f***ed.

I feel like we've already made those gambles with so many non-core players in the past, and they've never really panned out for us.

We gave Josh Archibald $1.5m and immediately regret it. This seems so much like a Josh Archibald signing all over again. This isn't to include the Kassian, Yamamoto, Puljujaarvi, Chiasson, Turris, and Foegele overpayments.

Archie had 12 goals and 22 points for us in 62 games.

None of those players were tradable at their cap hits either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Three On Zero

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Meh,

Let me rephrase this:

I’d rather have signed Bjugstad and traded McLeod too. Hopefully McLeod takes a step forward this year. The eye test looks good but the result for him just aren’t there.

He does have the potential to be a better player than Bjugstad though so hopefully that’s what we see.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Interesting. That's a little bit more than i would've expected. Not a lot, but i thought they'd manage to squeeze him a bit more.

Could even be good value in that second year, if he continues to improve.
I think that both him and Holland expected him to get at least as much as Kurashev in arbitration. If that is the case, there is no way to squeeze him.

Arbitration was supposed to be on Friday.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

those are 3rd line stats
Yep. Mcleod is really more of a breakout target/candidate for other teams to poach, than a guy the Oilers should be trying to give away.

Although this deal is a touch higher than Holland probably wanted. It's gonna be a tight squeeze with Bouchard.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

We can talk about regular season stats in isolation of anything else, but what we are looking for is a 3rd line Center who can come out even against the 3rd liners on contending teams in a playoff series.

Dubois makes $8.5 million.
Seguin makes $9.85 million.
Karlsson makes $5.9 million.

McLeod went 4-5 goals for/goals against at even strength in last year's playoffs.

That's treading water. He wasn't the problem.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I've been very vocal about using RNH as 3C for years.

So yes.
100% we should be doing that.

McLeod to me right now as of this very moment is not a movable contract at $2m. If we offer him up as trade bait, it is very doubtful that a single team would be interested at that cap hit for 2 years.

So he HAS to be good, or we're f***ed.

I feel like we've already made those gambles with so many non-core players in the past, and they've never really panned out for us.

We gave Josh Archibald $1.5m and immediately regret it. This seems so much like a Josh Archibald signing all over again. This isn't to include the Kassian, Yamamoto, Puljujaarvi, Chiasson, Turris, and Foegele overpayments.

Archie had 12 goals and 22 points for us in 62 games.

None of those players were tradable at their cap hits either.
Running McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH down the middle would be a step forward into breaking into a contender status roster, it’s baffling how every coach only ever sees the “throw McDavid and Draisaitl together” option

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
K so how ?
He’s gonna get K Miller money at 3.8
I doubt the cap increase will be so big. Basically if we want to keep or replace Brown for 24/25 then it will cost quite a bit. It will be hard enough to deal with this on its own, and so having to re sign Bouchard at the same time makes it that much harder.

So yes it is important to get at least 2 years and I think we definitely could do it.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Here’s how I would position the opening night starting lineup…

Kane - McDavid - Brown
Holloway - Draisaitl - Hyman
Foegele - RNH - Janmark
Ryan - MacLeod - ??? (Flavour of the Week)

Nurse - Ceci
Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Broberg

Skinner
Campbell

I’m OK with paying MacLeod $2.1 to play 4C because he also should be PP2 and PK… also, you are still in a development phase with a player that could be a homegrown key depth guy for you down the road. You shouldn’t underestimate the value of this type of player.

We need to see what we truly have in Holloway this year and playing him on the 4th line is not setting him up for success with his hopeful skill set. Also, on that 4th line spot we could be using veterans when we play contenders and rookies when we are playing non playoff teams without depth.

We need to commit to this type of lineup or face the same challenges we did when/if we go deeper in a playoff run.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think it’s probably fair. His numbers last year, pro-rated to 82 games is 33 points. That’s low end 3C/high end 4C production, which his contract is consistent with. He’ll be 24 when the season starts, so he’s nearing his ceiling I would think, but 35-40 points is achievable I think. I still think we see a 3rd line of Foegele-McLeod-Brown. I think Brown would help stabilize his game a bit more.

I get that some people would prefer an upgrade on 3C, but we’ll see if his game takes another step forward….. or maybe he’s a piece in a trade at the deadline for an upgrade?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think that both him and Holland expected him to get at least as much as Kurashev in arbitration. If that is the case, there is no way to squeeze him.

It's just a bit strange to see him get that much more than his brother even. Obviously different situations though. I think i was anticipating he'd take a slight haircut just to continue to be part of what they've got going in Edmonton, where they obviously need that depth to come in affordable and pinch every penny for the time being.

But he's also gotta get himself paid. Not really a player who is likely to ever be in a position to take a little bit less to help ice better depth around him. He is the depth.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Are you actually complaining that Edmontons centers arent good enough?

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton

>
Are you actually complaining that Edmontons centers arent good enough?

Not good enough defensively and as the games became more important Drai folded like a cheap tent... last 4 games -7 and 1 assist.

• Haha
Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad