Proposal: EDM/DET

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
What about top 10 deferred?

Also any consideration of a 2019 2nd conditional that Green re-signs? FWIW I think it ends up being Green for 1st plus something else.

From an Oiler's perspective, it wouldn't make sense to do anything other than what I proposed and even that is probably not smart considering our current position. The 2018 draft class is considered way to strong to trade away a 1st unless you are truly feel you are making a Cup run.

If the Oil make that trade, miss the playoffs and then not re-sign him... as a GM, you might as well pack your bags. Basically you give an 11-16 draft pick away (plus whatever else you are asking for), miss the playoffs. We just did that 2 years ago when we gave away #16 and #33 OA for absolutely nothing. The Oilers are not a bubble team right now... they are quite a ways out of a playoff spot.

Actually you just made me talk myself out of my offer... the offer is off the table! :laugh:

Edit: Not that Green isn't worth it... just not for the Oilers (in their current position).

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
From an Oiler's perspective, it wouldn't make sense to do anything other than what I proposed and even that is probably not smart considering our current position. The 2018 draft class is considered way to strong to trade away a 1st unless you are truly feel you are making a Cup run.

If the Oil make that trade, miss the playoffs and then not re-sign him... as a GM, you might as well pack your bags. Basically you give an 11-16 draft pick away (plus whatever else you are asking for), miss the playoffs. We just did that 2 years ago when we gave away #16 and #33 OA for absolutely nothing. The Oilers are not a bubble team right now... they are quite a ways out of a playoff spot.

Actually you just made me talk myself out of my offer... the offer is off the table! :laugh:

Edit: Not that Green isn't worth it... just not for the Oilers (in their current position).

Fair enough, FWIW I see the Oilers sneaking in, but it's definitely not something they'd even entertain until right up at the deadline.

What interests me is if Detroit got hold of a 1st, could they pack it with either theirs or Ottawa's 2nd and move up.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Nope sounds like Detroit is willing to retain half on Mike Green, So Green at $3 million only gets moved for a 2018 1st round pick, Benning is a bottom pairing RD Detroit already has tons of those in their organization.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Simple deal now that the wheels have come off for the Wings...

:wings
RD Matt Benning
2018 2nd round pick
Conditional 2019 2nd round pick paid if Green re-signs.

:edmonton
RD Mike Green

Benning would be a cheap fill in who's capable of playing all situations. Puts up decent numbers and can move the puck pretty well. He's a bit suspect defensively but he's still developing, this being his second pro season. Green finally gives the Oilers that right shot PPQB option they've been longing for.

Thoughts?

The Wings got two 2nd rounders for Brendan Smith last trade deadline. Mike Green is significantly better offensively.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
As an Oiler fan I am losing interest in trading for a rental. I'd rather keep our assets and have the team make a push next year. Either keep the pick and draft someone good or trade it on draft day as part of a package for an Oliver Ekman-Larsson type.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Nope sounds like Detroit is willing to retain half on Mike Green, So Green at $3 million only gets moved for a 2018 1st round pick, Benning is a bottom pairing RD Detroit already has tons of those in their organization.

That retention at the deadline is only worth about a million. Still helpful, but not $3M.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I get a feeling that Green will be going to PIT for a 2018 1st. The GMs have a good recent trade history with the Sheahan trade and with Letang's injury history, Green might be a good B option for them.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Wings got two 2nd rounders for Brendan Smith last trade deadline. Mike Green is significantly better offensively.
Funny you mention Brendan Smith, who was traded for a second and third on his own last year. His production and usage was similar--actually worse--than Matt Benning's is this year. In a perfect world, Benning is a bottom pairing defenseman. Edmonton's injuries this season haven't been a perfect world. He's played 18 minutes a night factoring in on all situations and put up a respectable 4 goals and 9 points. That would put him third in scoring for Red Wings' defensemen this year--tied for with Green for most goals. Detroit's defense after Green also isn't a perfect world--completely barren in terms of right shot defensemen and limited cap space to address the issue.

I understand the focus on acquiring the 1st, but I honestly believe there's enough value here to outbid a late 1st in this draft if you assume the Oilers will re-sign Green. I also don't think teams will be bending over backwards to give up those picks this year.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I get a feeling that Green will be going to PIT for a 2018 1st. The GMs have a good recent trade history with the Sheahan trade and with Letang's injury history, Green might be a good B option for them.
The Pens have Letang and Schultz. Why?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I’d imagine there’s around a 0% chance the Oilers give up their first for Mike Green.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The Pens have Letang and Schultz. Why?

Well if they do actually trade Letang they'll be looking for an offensive minded D-man. So I guess that's why they'd go and get Green.

Oilers don't give up a first for him. Not this year at least. No rentals will be traded for unless we make a major push.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
DET and EDM are not good trading partners. To get fair value for Green they'll need to trade to a contender. It'll take a 1st rounder to pry him away from DET.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
That's perfectly fine. we will get the 1st from someone

All 1st are not created equally . You are asking for a 1st from a non playoff team and a first from Tampa whom may very well win the cup . The way it stands our 2nd and Benning in the OP probably has more value then the 31st 1st rd pick

ellusive

Dec 21, 2009
Green at the trade deadline will have aprox 1.5 million so if detroit was to retain it would be on that 1.5 million remaining.. why people cant grasp this is beyond me

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Edmonton made all the sense in the world as a landing spot until they underachieved and made their first round pick a lot harder to move. It isn't something a lot of us anticipated going in to the season. I still think Green is exactly what they need, but that move is really hard given their current situation.

I do expect to get a first rounder for Mike Green though. Not real interested in moving him until that materializes. We can find two seconds in the dying minutes of deadline day. I will say moving Green right now ensures a bottom three finish for the Wings though in my opinion. He is the Wings only top 4 D-man in my opinion.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
All 1st are not created equally . You are asking for a 1st from a non playoff team and a first from Tampa whom may very well win the cup . The way it stands our 2nd and Benning in the OP probably has more value then the 31st 1st rd pick

Your not telling me something I don't know. and then why do you want to give up the more value

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
DET and EDM are not good trading partners. To get fair value for Green they'll need to trade to a contender. It'll take a 1st rounder to pry him away from DET.
I wouldn't say it would take a 1st to pry him away because teams could just sign when for free when he is a free agent but there will be a team who will offer him a 1st

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Edmonton made all the sense in the world as a landing spot until they underachieved and made their first round pick a lot harder to move. It isn't something a lot of us anticipated going in to the season. I still think Green is exactly what they need, but that move is really hard given their current situation.

I do expect to get a first rounder for Mike Green though. Not real interested in moving him until that materializes. We can find two seconds in the dying minutes of deadline day. I will say moving Green right now ensures a bottom three finish for the Wings though in my opinion. He is the Wings only top 4 D-man in my opinion.
This is essentially how I see it. It's why I've flip-flopped on the idea of Green over and over again. He's a guy who we can shelter in Edmonton from tough defensive assignments and allow him to work his magic on the PP, giving us a legitimate point shot.

The offer is pretty much an aggressive alternative to the Oilers moving their 1st this year, which holds too much value to them to be moved for an impending UFA with no guarantees of him re-signing.

I think Benning is what makes this offer enticing for Holland, who after Green, has maybe one top four defenseman under the age of 30 in the organization. He's got an aging defense and there are no guarantees that the Wings will be high on the list of destinations of a guy like John Carlson, who likely asks for the moon in free agency. Benning isn't a top four defenseman nor will he be paid like one, but in the right situation he can play those minutes. A player like that prevents Holland from having to dumpster dive next summer should they miss out on marquee free agents, preventing them from regrettable deals like the Trevor Daley one this summer. And at 23, there's still some room to grow with Benning.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I wouldn't say it would take a 1st to pry him away because teams could just sign when for free when he is a free agent but there will be a team who will offer him a 1st

Yeah 1 team could always try and do that. I suspect Ken Holland would probably just re-sign him in that situation, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad