Proposal: EDM/DET

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Simple deal now that the wheels have come off for the Wings...

:wings
RD Matt Benning
2018 2nd round pick
Conditional 2019 2nd round pick paid if Green re-signs.

:edmonton
RD Mike Green

Benning would be a cheap fill in who's capable of playing all situations. Puts up decent numbers and can move the puck pretty well. He's a bit suspect defensively but he's still developing, this being his second pro season. Green finally gives the Oilers that right shot PPQB option they've been longing for.

Thoughts?

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
Simple deal now that the wheels have come off for the Wings...

:wings
RD Matt Benning
2018 2nd round pick
Conditional 2019 2nd round pick paid if Green re-signs.

:edmonton
RD Mike Green

Benning would be a cheap fill in who's capable of playing all situations. Puts up decent numbers and can move the puck pretty well. He's a bit suspect defensively but he's still developing, this being his second pro season. Green finally gives the Oilers that right shot PPQB option they've been longing for.

Thoughts?
The value is way off. Not happening.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think Detroit can do better than that for Green

I don't think you'll get the conditional if someone's giving up a first though. And that's IF someone ponies up the first, which is questionable with the depth of this draft. Benning isn't chopped liver, either. He brings a well rounded game with a touch of physicality and offense. The Oilers have steadily been giving him more responsibility.

I'd say the likelihood of the Oilers offering Green a new deal would pretty high if all went well, so two seconds and a top six defenseman is a pretty decent return for a UFA.

Skippy73

Oct 15, 2016
Bikini Bottom
Benning isn't chopped liver, either. He brings a well rounded game with a touch of physicality and offense. The Oilers have steadily been giving him more responsibility.

It's not a bad offer and I don't think Benning is chopped liver. I just don't see much of a need for him with our team going nowhere the next few years.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I don't think you'll get the conditional if someone's giving up a first though. And that's IF someone ponies up the first, which is questionable with the depth of this draft. Benning isn't chopped liver, either. He brings a well rounded game with a touch of physicality and offense. The Oilers have steadily been giving him more responsibility.

I'd say the likelihood of the Oilers offering Green a new deal would pretty high if all went well, so two seconds and a top six defenseman is a pretty decent return for a UFA.

A 1st is better than 2 seconds. Especially when one of them is conditional. Recent history suggests he should get at least a 1st.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Detroit will get the 1st they want from somebody.

Doubt they'll be too thrilled with a 2nd considering they already have their own and Ottawa's, which are both looking to be around 35.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Green is #21 in defensemen scoring. He'll easily command a 1st round pick to start. Try again.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'd give our 2019 1st for Green. I'd actually rather that than the OP as Benning is perfect for the 3rd pairing.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think Edmonton and Pittsburgh will want Green for a good push pretty soon here and Toronto and NYI will key in on him as a luxury addition at the deadline if he's still around. I could see Tampa as the darkhorse to be in on him as well and history suggests plenty of surprising parties take seats at the table for a guy like this. Detroit has the money and willingness to retain so you're likely looking at Green as a $3M player. He's a vet, he's easygoing, and he checks all the boxes for that put-you-over-the-top addition. The size is there, the skating is there, the position and handedness are there, the experience is there, the age is there, and the jilted-by-a-previous-contender attitude is there as well. Bonus points for him being at a good age to re-sign and at a good age to realize he wants the glory of a Cup more than the money.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think Edmonton and Pittsburgh will want Green for a good push pretty soon here and Toronto and NYI will key in on him as a luxury addition at the deadline if he's still around. I could see Tampa as the darkhorse to be in on him as well and history suggests plenty of surprising parties take seats at the table for a guy like this. Detroit has the money and willingness to retain so you're likely looking at Green as a $3M player. He's a vet, he's easygoing, and he checks all the boxes for that put-you-over-the-top addition. The size is there, the skating is there, the position and handedness are there, the experience is there, the age is there, and the jilted-by-a-previous-contender attitude is there as well. Bonus points for him being at a good age to re-sign and at a good age to realize he wants the glory of a Cup more than the money.

50% retention around the deadline will only be worth about $1M. Maybe even a little less.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
50% retention around the deadline will only be worth about $1M. Maybe even a little less.

I'm not speaking to what its worth at the deadline. I'm speaking to what you're acquiring at the deadline. Because you don't acquire a player after his salary is pro-rated; you acquire his contract. If an addendum to the contract is made that you're only paying 50% of his salary, then you calculate from there. As such, he's traded as a $3M player, just as any other player is traded - with pro rating occurring after the fact.

Edit: I guess we're practically discussing semantics here (if not transactional legalese) but the gist of it is that Green will likely be offered up at 50% down the line in any negotiation. In other words, his contract being retained to the maximum is basically a given.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'm not speaking to what its worth at the deadline. I'm speaking to what you're acquiring at the deadline. Because you don't acquire a player after his salary is pro-rated; you acquire his contract. If an addendum to the contract is made that you're only paying 50% of his salary, then you calculate from there. As such, he's traded as a $3M player, just as any other player is traded - with pro rating occurring after the fact.

Edit: I guess we're practically discussing semantics here (if not transactional legalese) but the gist of it is that Green will likely be offered up at 50% down the line in any negotiation. In other words, his contract being retained to the maximum is basically a given.

Right, but as far as cap space goes, that's the amount of relief they'd get.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Right, but as far as cap space goes, that's the amount of relief they'd get.

I mean, its literally 6 of one, half dozen of the other, but to your point, $1M in cap space is massive at the deadline. The other factor is maximizing the number of trade partners you have at the outset.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I mean, its literally 6 of one, half dozen of the other, but to your point, $1M in cap space is massive at the deadline. The other factor is maximizing the number of trade partners you have at the outset.

To a team like Pittsburgh, certainly. Dunno if they'll be interested. I still kinda think EDM is the favorite.

NYI may be in if there aren't many other options.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
So is Green.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Green

Honestly, at this point I think your trade attempt is futile. Why would we trade for Green... to QB our PP, right?... do you honestly believe Woodcroft is smart enough to play him there. Jay Woodcroft is a moron. Worst overall PK since 1993/94... worst home PK in history... well, since they started keeping stats. Bottom 10 PP in the league... a PP with Connor McDavid. Keep trotting Letestu out there, no personnel changes on the #1PP unit, no difference in approach... so frustrating!

Anyways, if we are going to do this... Green is worth a later 1st...
2018 1st - conditional on the Oilers making the playoffs. If not, a 2019 1st.

There is no way Russel plays top 4 with those 6 dmen... he shouldn't be playing top 4 right now.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Way too much for a rental when we're a playoff longshot. That 1st is worth more than Green alone.
If the oilers are trading for green its under the impression they are a playoff team. I doubt they trade for green if they dont think they will make it.

Itll cost a 1st, maybe top 5 or 10 protected, but def a 1st

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Honestly, at this point I think your trade attempt is futile. Why would we trade for Green... to QB our PP, right?... do you honestly believe Woodcroft is smart enough to play him there. Jay Woodcroft is a moron. Worst overall PK since 1993/94... worst home PK in history... well, since they started keeping stats. Bottom 10 PP in the league... a PP with Connor McDavid. Keep trotting Letestu out there, no personnel changes on the #1PP unit, no difference in approach... so frustrating!

Anyways, if we are going to do this... Green is worth a later 1st...
2018 1st - conditional on the Oilers making the playoffs. If not, a 2019 1st.

There is no way Russel plays top 4 with those 6 dmen... he shouldn't be playing top 4 right now.

What about top 10 deferred?

Also any consideration of a 2019 2nd conditional that Green re-signs? FWIW I think it ends up being Green for 1st plus something else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad