Speculation: EDM/DET (Yes, goalies again)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Here's my logic.

Right now, the wings are carrying three goalies. Ville Husso, James Reimer, Alex Lyon.

Lyon has yet to make an appearance yet this season. My understanding is that he isn't hurt or anything, but the Wings won't waive him because they think he'd get claimed (and they're right).

Holland's favourite trade buddy by far is Steve Yzerman. Edmonton needs to stop the bleeding in net and if anyone thinks Calvin Pickard is going to do that, I want some of whatever you're on.

So, would Detroit be willing to trade Lyon to Edmonton? And if so, what would he cost? 3rd round pick do it?

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
It's one of those tough situations, it would take an overpay because why would Detroit give up on Lyon when Husso has started slow and Reimer has been ok but I mean it's Reimer.

So yeah a 1st, because a 3rd or 2nd for us is nothing. Oilers say no and they should but I mean Wings are also trying to win and having Lyon as a option is better than a 3rd.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Here's my logic.

Right now, the wings are carrying three goalies. Ville Husso, James Reimer, Alex Lyon.

Lyon has yet to make an appearance yet this season. My understanding is that he isn't hurt or anything, but the Wings won't waive him because they think he'd get claimed (and they're right).

Holland's favourite trade buddy by far is Steve Yzerman. Edmonton needs to stop the bleeding in net and if anyone thinks Calvin Pickard is going to do that, I want some of whatever you're on.

So, would Detroit be willing to trade Lyon to Edmonton? And if so, what would he cost? 3rd round pick do it?
Don.t see Lyon being better then Skinner/Campbell /Pickard

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Any trade the Oilers try to make will/should have the rest of league putting them over a barrel. Oilers are coming from a position of desperation. Blood in the water. The league will be testing them to see how far into 'cost prohibitive' they're willing to go.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's one of those tough situations, it would take an overpay because why would Detroit give up on Lyon when Husso has started slow and Reimer has been ok but I mean it's Reimer.

So yeah a 1st, because a 3rd or 2nd for us is nothing. Oilers say no and they should but I mean Wings are also trying to win and having Lyon as a option is better than a 3rd.
I mean, I'd rather finish 32nd than give up a first for Alex Lyon so might as well lock er up :laugh:

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Goaltending isn’t the only problem in Edmonton. Lyon isn’t the guy to help them.

Anyone not fully proven is expected to get a good minus .20 sv% the second he hit edmonton ice. In fact proven goalie too.

For Lyon sake, and Edmonton one, they need to figure out coaching and Defense before thinking spending even more money or picks aways

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
There seems to be a massive issue with the core of this team. Their refusal to play even the slightest defense is mind boggling to say the least.

Every time I turn on an Oilers game, they're attempting to outscore their problems and goaltending is only part of a much bigger problem.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There seems to be a massive issue with the core of this team. Their refusal to play even the slightest defense is mind boggling to say the least.

Every time I turn on an Oilers game, they're attempting to outscore their problems and goaltending is only part of a much bigger problem.
honestly, you must not be watching this year, because we can't even score anymore. We're 27th in the NHL in goals for. Even our powerplay is only mid-pack now. It's all f***ed right now, haha. We'd kill for a guy that could even manage .900 on a consistent basis.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
honestly, you must not be watching this year, because we can't even score anymore. We're 27th in the NHL in goals for. Even our powerplay is only mid-pack now. It's all f***ed right now, haha. We'd kill for a guy that could even manage .900 on a consistent basis.
That's why I said they're attempting to outscore their opponents, not that they're succeeding.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I don’t think Detroit’s looking to trade Lyon.
The Oilers are searching for a much more experienced goalie anyways. The Oilers would not part with their 1st for Lyon especially when the pick could be in the top 5 as things stand now !! :facepalm::rolleyes:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
you have 21K approx in current cap space per CF

not only do you have to give good value for a depth guy like Domingue, but you also have to pay me to deal with your cap shortage

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers are searching for a much more experienced goalie anyways. The Oilers would not part with their 1st for Lyon especially when the pick could be in the top 5 as things stand now !! :facepalm::rolleyes:
Post you quoted said nothing about a 1st round pick.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
The 1st round pick talk is basically Detroit saying we don't want to trade you Lyon. A mid-round pick will do nothing for us. We know it's not a fair price... but we don't need the goalie like a crack hit. You do.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad