Confirmed Trade: [EDM/DET] Andreas Athanasiou, Ryan Kuffner to Oilers for Sam Gagner (10%), 2020 2nd, 2021 2nd

DakrSnooze

Aug 27, 2011
Whitehorse
I cringed when Detroit fans were calling AA a 30 goal player. Yes, he's done it once but overall his totals are nowhere near that clip. I won't change my stance now that he's an Oiler but I sure hope he proves me wrong. Overall I'm fine with the deal and think both sides came out okay.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
@Paperbagofglory

According to who? The TSN panel were talking about how he's a good character guy in the locker room.

Well, on the spectrum of reliability: His junior teams, well vetted journalists with inside sources, the fact that it was obvious that Yzerman wanted nothing to do with him long term, and people on this border with connects to the org. Hell, even today a tweet from a verified source flat out said AA is only looking out for AA.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Which one is right?

Well, Micah McCurdy's player isolate model is extremely skewed towards forwards. He fails to acknowledge this when he posts the results of his model.

About a month ago, I took a look at all of the forwards who had 500 minutes played at 5V5 over the past two seasons, who had played at least a few games this season. The mean forward impact was +7.6% on offense and -6.7% on defense, and the median net impact was +14.5%. Out of the 401 forwards who made the cut, Athanasiou's net impact of +9.5% ranked 267th. So, even by this guy's model, he's a 3rd/4th liner.

And if you look at the raw numbers for his team with and without him, he flat out makes them worse, which makes it much harder to reconcile McCurdy's opinion.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Last edited:
Reactions: mynamejeff420

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Well, Micah McCurdy's player isolate model is extremely skewed towards forwards. He fails to acknowledge this when he posts the results of his model.

About a month ago, I took a look at all of the forwards who had 500 minutes played at 5V5 over the past two seasons, who had played at least a few games this season. The mean forward impact was +7.6% on offense and -6.7% on defense, and the median net impact was +14.5%. Out of the 401 forwards who made the cut, Athanasiou's net impact of +9.5% ranked 267th. So, even by this guy's model, he's a 3rd/4th liner.

And if you look at the raw numbers for his team with and without him, he flat out makes them worse, which makes it much harder to reconcile McCurdy's opinion.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick
this just proves you can make stats look any way you like

DakrSnooze

Aug 27, 2011
Whitehorse
Well, on the spectrum of reliability: His junior teams, well vetted journalists with inside sources, the fact that it was obvious that Yzerman wanted nothing to do with him long term, and people on this border with connects to the org. Hell, even today a tweet from a verified source flat out said AA is only looking out for AA.

Not saying you're wrong but I'll play the wait and see game before rushing to a conclusion.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
This is fantastic for the Oilers. They may be setting themselves up to run through the Pacific Division this April/May. McDavid and Drai should be wrapped in bubble wrap and placed on a shelf as soon as they clinch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad