Confirmed Trade: [EDM/DET] Andreas Athanasiou, Ryan Kuffner to Oilers for Sam Gagner (10%), 2020 2nd, 2021 2nd

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Athanasiou has incredible speed which makes him a compelling player by the eye test, but his on-ice results at even strength over the past 3 seasons have been some of the worst in the league, even after isolating his impact from his teammates.

YHDFNcAAAAASUVORK5CYII.png

It's possible that he could turn things around in Edmonton, but this is a very steep price.

This does not isolate impact from his teammates... Also getting a 30 goal scorer for less than a 1st round pick while also dumping a bad contract is not steep. He's not a rental.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I don’t get the AA+Mcdavid is a great combo opinion.
AA has a low hockey IQ and is selfish with the puck.
Give me the slowest player in the league with a high IQ to put with him. Give me just about anyone over AA.
…AA generating some offense on a 3rd line could work though

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Awesome trade.

AA McDavid Kassian
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto
Benson Haas Neal
Nygard Sheahan Archibald

that’s solid! I’d take an upgrade at 3C but this has been great sooo far. Even getting Green who we can shelter could add a needed shooter on the pp

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Will be nice to see someone in EDM other than McDavid flying up and down ice around defenders for a change.

If they click, watch out cuz no one will be able to keep up with them.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Like the trade for Edmonton, price wasn't ridiculously steep although it was high. Hope we can sign him for a reasonable contract as well.

If using the Toffoli trade as a template I think this is a better deal than that. Didn't give up a top 5 prospect and AA is a better play at this point in their careers than TT IMO.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Not a fan of the return at all. 2 2nds, so basically we traded Athanasiou for 2 picks that statistically won't make the NHL. Terrible by Yzerman, this is a panic move. He should have waited, allowed AA's value to go up, and then trade him at the draft or next year.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom and MBH

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don’t get the AA+Mcdavid is a great combo opinion.
AA has a low hockey IQ and is selfish with the puck.
Give me the slowest player in the league with a high IQ to put with him. Give me just about anyone over AA.
…AA generating some offense on a 3rd line could work though
Option 1: gives McDavid a scoring winger that can keep up, they score tons of goals
Option 2: AA plays with Draisatl, frees up someone (RNH/Yamamoto) to play with McDavid, they all score tons of goals
Option 3: Edmonton keeps their top 6 the way it is, AA provides the 3rd line scoring they lack

Seems like a slam-dunk for Oilers. Even if AA can't make things work with McDavid, and tbh people overstate how poor his IQ is. He's been bad this year but he's worked really well with players like Vanek, Larkin, Mantha etc.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Not a fan of the return at all. 2 2nds, so basically we traded Athanasiou for 2 picks that statistically won't make the NHL. Terrible by Yzerman, this is a panic move. He should have waited, allowed AA's value to go up, and then trade him at the draft or next year.

AA was one more negotiation hold out away from having zero value. And honestly, the league knows exactly what he is and 2 2nds is pretty much what he's worth.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I would take a better guy defensivly. AA is a fast rocket with many offensives weapons who involves in perimeter area. That would be a good fit if McDavid would be +45, but Connor is actually -7. You can be the best offensive threat all day long, reality is if you bring more goal when you're on the ice, you not gonna win the cup. So for me, this trade is a fail when you consider than AA isnt good at all defensivly.

Sorry Oilers fan, thats my opinion about it!

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
What were you

What were you expecting? Two seconds is a good return for a guy who yea, has all the talent in the world but the quote above from another player is very telling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad