Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Cooper Marody re-signs with the Oilers (1 year, $750k, two-way)

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Must hurt a bit to have to sign a 2-way contract at his age with AHL accomplishments.

We don’t know yet if he makes the big club. Hopefully he and Benson get a legitimate shot. I’m soo sick of seeing nhl “proven” scrubs like Chiasson, Kharia, etc block young players with upside.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Marody would have probably been in the NHL by now if he was a better skater but that is one of his flaws.

Marody is good with positioning and distributing the puck and has a decent shot but his skating is what really holds Marody back from being at the NHL level full time.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
We don’t know yet if he makes the big club. Hopefully he and Benson get a legitimate shot. I’m soo sick of seeing nhl “proven” scrubs like Chiasson, Kharia, etc block young players with upside.

Why would you want young players with upside on your 4th line as opposed to getting big minutes in the AHL, which sole purpose is basically player development?

I don't get why this kind of thinking has become so common in recent years. I remember ten years ago when half the Ducks board where pushing for Peter Holland, Emerson Etem and Devante Smith-Pelly, and later even complaining about how Kalle Kossila and Kevin Roy were "blocked".

In truth, none of them were good enough. If you're good enough you're gonna make it eventuelly. Injuries happen. No sense in handing out roster spots without competition. If you can't beat the likes of Khaira and Chiasson in preseason, then you're simply not ready for the big league.

Reactions: nerblet

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Wow, only took a few posts to see someone crap on a player signing a 2 way deal. That must be close to an HF boards record. Pat yourself on the back.

If HF had a minor league you’d be a fixture. Have a good day.

Honestly, it's the HF norm these days. Sometimes even I like to get in on the fun.

Seriously though, there's value in Morody, both as a potential call up and as an AHL veteran. Can't dislike this deal. Hope he can get that little bit more confidence he needs to make it as an NHLer. Skills are obviously there.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Nice little pay raise for a depth AHL/NHL tweener. from 70,000 to 150,000. Probably gets a long hard look at making the big club this season

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Why would you want young players with upside on your 4th line as opposed to getting big minutes in the AHL, which sole purpose is basically player development?

I don't get why this kind of thinking has become so common in recent years. I remember ten years ago when half the Ducks board where pushing for Peter Holland, Emerson Etem and Devante Smith-Pelly, and later even complaining about how Kalle Kossila and Kevin Roy were "blocked".

In truth, none of them were good enough. If you're good enough you're gonna make it eventuelly. Injuries happen. No sense in handing out roster spots without competition. If you can't beat the likes of Khaira and Chiasson in preseason, then you're simply not ready for the big league.

These aren’t 18-19 year olds. They are 23 and 24 respectively and both produced near a ppg level in the AHL. Yeah I’d rather give a guy like Benson a real opportunity vs paying more in cap for guys like Chiasson.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Guy should stick to his lousy music. Better chance at that taking off than becoming a full time NHLer.
Now you are mean!

He did score most goals, and most points in AHL, in diffrent occasions. And I hope he could get through to NHL, but his type I guess just have a hard time doing just that. If yoy are B+ , and not A at skating you will never be in the NHL. Thats the negative with todays NHL. Its not the most skilled players, its the biggest and fastest players league.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
These aren’t 18-19 year olds. They are 23 and 24 respectively and both produced near a ppg level in the AHL. Yeah I’d rather give a guy like Benson a real opportunity vs paying more in cap for guys like Chiasson.

I would sign Chiasson to a 900k contract though. A garbage goalscorer. But forbideen to play PP. A typical benchwarmer filling in occasional in physcial games.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Marody would have probably been in the NHL by now if he was a better skater but that is one of his flaws.

Marody is good with positioning and distributing the puck and has a decent shot but his skating is what really holds Marody back from being at the NHL level full time.
Maroody is the Jason Allison of the AHL

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
What if Marody played with Draisaitl, who plays his game after Physic and positioning and reading the game?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He had good chemistry with Hughes in Michigan. I think Marody will have a similar career to Kyle Wellwood. Smart and skilled, but a little unathletic and slow.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
What if Marody played with Draisaitl, who plays his game after Physic and positioning and reading the game?
But Drai is fast when he wants to be. Marody is so so slow. Slowwwww

He looks slow in the AHL.

Was unbelievably slow in the NHL. I wish it were a step or 2 so he has some kind of chance to increase his speed with training, but he's like Georges Laraques slow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad