Confirmed with Link: [EDM/CHI] Keith for Jones and a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He lost his spot to Boqvist this season, and he got as much offensive zone starts with Kane as his coach could give him and did nothing (his ice time this season may have just been out of respect, even though he was failing). So, I wouldn't worry about him taking anyone's PP time. To start, just gotta hope he can actually compete against 2nd/3rd liners which he failed to do this season.
He drowned against slightly above average competition last year and if he's paired with Larsson he will be facing tougher competition. It's not looking good.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Going to go on record as not being a fan of this trade as currently reported. Really hoping that the extras still to be reported is Seattle eating some of Keith’s cap hit, as part of them taking Jones from Chicago in the expansion draft. I dunno. Not in the mood to post as this trade ruined a really good day.

Reactions: ujju2

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Are the Oilers even going to have anybody to pair him with that can come close to bailing him out? I didn't hate Larsson last year but even if he's re-signed I don't see him being able to drag Keith around. You can't put him with Nurse because Nurse is literally the only option against high quality competition right now and you don't want Keith in those situations.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Numbers said Draisaitl wasn't even a top 20 player in the league when he won the Hart, magic said he was #1

There's value in 'magic' and it's starting to be quantified. Baseball's 'David Ross' effect has led, in part, to re-looking at placing value on intangibles like leadership and experience: What Baseball Can Teach Us About Team Chemistry – RealTime Performance

I think Keith the player is an okay add for the winning experience and leadership intangibles for what is a still young core group that need more help in that regard (even if Alpha Goalie returns). I think the reduced workload to second and third pair d will also help Keith reset on a new team removed from his past team leading ice-time and glory days memories for all around him.

The trade itself sucks with no retention and including a draft pick on top.

EDIT: Now reading the conditional 3rd round could become a 2nd makes this trade even more ludicrously dumb with the Oilers bidding against themselves; Seattle picking Keith in expansion; or Chicago either protecting Keith from expansion draft; letting him go to Seattle; or buying him out with cap consequences. Oilers got taken badly on this.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
;)

ZpckD3I.jpg
My pic cheers me up more. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Everyone and their dog thought the Drai contract was brutal when signed, and some people still argue Drai isn't a top player analytically.

Well, not the case at all. Many of us loved the Drai contract and figured it was a good one. I mean those that recognized much in the player.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
England managed to get to a final, and has a good young team. We won't win another round for at least a couple more years now, and just traded for a 38 year old who is barely an NHL player anymore. I'll take England's spot please/thanks.

England is more the Canucks anyway. Jack Grealish = Elias Pettersson

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That is a fair argument against those stats. It really is, isolation is by far the weak point for those stats. WOWY isolates though, and WOWY shows that all of Keith's partners played better away from him, than with him. How do you explain that?
I can't answer that because I know very little of Chicago's roster. I can't provide any context. How did the team generate the majority of their goals? Was he out there with scoring lines or is he out there with depth forwards? The situation is going to have a more significant impact to the player's results than his defensive partner.

It'd be easier to 'play better' with Pat Kane than it would with Duncan Keith, would it not? Odds are we're looking at some very situational stats that could change drastically in a different environment.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
England managed to get to a final, and has a good young team. We won't win another round for at least a couple more years now, and just traded for a 38 year old who is barely an NHL player anymore. I'll take England's spot please/thanks.

I was trying to be flippant and funny. Don't make me feel worse with the analytics...heh

ps I HATE this deal. I think I might have mentioned that once or twice. ;)

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad