Confirmed Trade: [EDM/CHI] Duncan Keith and Tim Soderlund for Caleb Jones and Conditional 2nd/3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Not a huge fan of the trade but if the oilers can put him on the second or third pair if klef comes back it he might be able to handle a decreased roll and provide leadership and experience and a slash to the head every once in a while

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If the Oilers gave up a conditional 7th or something it might make sense but how do they pay that much when they were the only team in the race. I don't say this often about Benning but Holland should have looked to Benning for an example of how to do that trade.
Hawks did not HAVE to dump Keith. That seems to be the fundamental misunderstanding. I said it a million times in the last thread but nobody seems to believe me, lol.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Yup. Basically the same players with the same careers.
Career means jack .. Keith isnt added as the franchise #1Dman. Both were added to Oilers as veteran 2nd pairing leaders. See Oates, Adam to Oilers. Not the same career as Hemsky but on the Oilers he was a tier below Ales.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Yup. Basically the same players with the same careers.
Ference was a #4 Defenseman on a great Boston team and asked to take on a BIGGER role for a much worse team as he was getting older, it's the opposite situation of that. I'm not sure the guys who keep missing that, haha.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Hawks did not HAVE to dump Keith. That seems to be the fundamental misunderstanding. I said it a million times in the last thread but nobody seems to believe me, lol.
I get that but where else was he going? It was basically Edmonton or bust and Holland could have waited until free agency.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Remember when people defined the trade by who got the better player?

Caleb Jones was an uninspired scratch and Keith is overpaid but miles better.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
They didnt have to dump him but at this stage of his career he is overpaid by about 2M per.
Holland could have found much better value off free agency but instead burnt away the cap cushion he had on Keith instead of a UFA whale.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Not a huge fan of the trade but if the oilers can put him on the second or third pair if klef comes back it he might be able to handle a decreased roll and provide leadership and experience and a slash to the head every once in a while

0% chance Klefbom is playing. Sounds like Larsson might also be taking calls during free agency. Nurse is the only top 4 D the Oilers currently have under contract.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Career means jack .. Keith isnt added as the franchise #1Dman. Both were added to Oilers as veteran 2nd pairing leaders. See Oates, Adam to Oilers. Not the same career as Hemsky but on the Oilers he was a tier below Ales.
Yup. Any old veteran player has basically the same leadership intangibles. Ferrence or Keith? Virtually the same.

Reactions: CanadianCoyote

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Ference was a #4 Defenseman on a great Boston team and asked to take on a BIGGER role for a much worse team as he was getting older, it's the opposite situation of that. I'm not sure the guys who keep missing that, haha.

You don’t think the Oilers are going to try to play Duncan Keith like he’s 28 instead of 38?

Who are the three other guys getting ice ahead of him?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Yup. Any old veteran player has basically the same leadership intangibles. Ferrence or Keith? Virtually the same.
Not same. Ference was actually in a better stage of his career than Keith when he joined the Oilers and likely provided better impact on ice due to being much fresher off a winning team (BOS).
Keith and his leadership has won Hawks just one post season series in last 6 seasons and that was last season vs the Oilers.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Toronto signs spezza for 1 million (veteran 4th line role leadership)

edmonton responds by trading for Keith at 5.5 million

see the difference?

Keith at 1 million = great pick up

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
must have been pre-cap world.

Jones is trash but capspace is gold.

Certainly. This likely takes the place from the $4.5 million Klefbom contract that will be LTIR'd, plus extra. It IS shitty.

But part of the Oilers failure in the post season is because of immaturity.
They weren't playing like a team when they were trying to get McDavid to 100, and they were obviously unprepared for the first round.

Here's to hoping Keith can turn that part around and mentor the glut of young D we have coming up the ranks.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
You get a future HoF:er, EDM! Treat him well and some of his winning will rub off on the walls of your place so perhaps you can drop the loser label in due time. Duncan Keith is a great man, a gentleman and a scholar. The Edmonton Oilers just got richer by having this fantastic specimen play for them, enjoy!
This is one of the weirdest fan send offs I've ever read.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Not same. Ference was actually in a better stage of his career than Keith when he joined the Oilers and likely provided better impact on ice due to being much fresher off a winning team (BOS).
Keith and his leadership has won Hawks just one post season series in last 6 seasons and that was last season vs the Oilers.
Oh I stand corrected. Ferrence > Keith.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
must have been pre-cap world.

Jones is trash but capspace is gold.
People (including Ken Holland) keep ignoring that the cap is an actual thing that exists. It literally restricts what you can and cannot do. Almost every move that a GM makes needs to have the cap be taken into consideration. In this move, it was completely ignored. This move proved to everyone that Ken Holland does not have a clue how to manage this team.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
How is it worth it? Holland doesn't even get the upside if the trade works out. This trade is even more brutal
because the pick would be like 55th overall.. Wiining > magic ball so it would be worth it for Oilers if Keith helps us go on a run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad