Proposal: Edm-Car

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I will concede it is an overpayment, and if as you say Jones is closer to nhl ready than I have heard then bully for us, offer rescinded. But as I see it the oilers don’t have many assets to use, so if we can take a Yamamoto and squeeze a roster upgrade out of him then I am all for it. I just want the depth a little deeper and we don’t have much to barter with.

I’m... not seeing a roster upgrade though.

McGinn is a fine player and a good third liner, but if Yamamoto is putting up 30 point seasons when he’s 24 we f***ed up real good somewhere.

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Like I said, there are about a dozen guys available in free agency that bring what McGinn does. I don’t see any point in trading for him with guys like Ward, Comeau, Hansen, Komarov, Maroon, Calvert, etc etc etc out there available for nothing but contracts.

Great that he’s found a fit there but Edmonton would be pretty dumb to trade the likes of Yamamoto or Jones for him. That’d be like you guys trading Roy or Gauthier our way for the likes of Strome or Caggiula.
I agreed, it doesn't make sense for either team. We have capable depth scoring and plenty of defensemen. We need upper level players or guys like McGinn who play with a little physicality.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
Joel ward and his 12 points or Jannik Hansen and his 14? Maroon and his glowing review of the devils coaching and his new found desire to remain a devil?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Joel ward and his 12 points or Jannik Hansen and his 14? Maroon and his glowing review of the devils coaching and his new found desire to remain a devil?

Both had awful years but Hansen has a lot left in him - he didn’t like the Sharks coaching. Ward is old but a leader. Maroon said similar things about his time as an Oiler.

Point is you don’t trade guys like Yamamoto for McGinn+. That’s just bad business .

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
I’m... not seeing a roster upgrade though.

McGinn is a fine player and a good third liner, but if Yamamoto is putting up 30 point seasons when he’s 24 we ****ed up real good somewhere.
If McGinn could build on his success and if McKeown takes that next step and becomes a viable option as a right pairing d, and if Mattheos continues developing then I would say that is an upgrade. Maybe Yamamoto is ready to slot in the top 6 in the fall maybe he needs a year or so to stew in Bakersfield, if we keep him then I am really hoping for the former.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If McGinn could build on his success and if McKeown takes that next step and becomes a viable option as a right pairing d, and if Mattheos continues developing then I would say that is an upgrade. Maybe Yamamoto is ready to slot in the top 6 in the fall maybe he needs a year or so to stew in Bakersfield, if we keep him then I am really hoping for the former.

There at least we’re agreed. I like the youth movement we’ve got going on in Bakersfield. Marody, Hebig, Yamamoto, Benson and maybe Safin is a really nice young talent injection.

Reactions: OnanTheBarbarian

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
Both had awful years but Hansen has a lot left in him - he didn’t like the Sharks coaching. Ward is old but a leader. Maroon said similar things about his time as an Oiler.

Point is you don’t trade guys like Yamamoto for McGinn+. That’s just bad business .
I honestly wouldn’t mind taking a flyer on Hansen, I have liked him for ages but his play last year makes it a risky gambit all the same. And the Yammo trade would ideally return several promising assets in addition to McGinn, and Yamamoto has upside, absolutely, but that is not a sure thing, just like all the prospects I mentioned could turn out great, or be flops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad