Confirmed with Link: [EDM/ANA/TBL] Oilers acquire Adam Henrique (75% ret.), Sam Carrick (50% ret.), Ty Taylor & ANA 7th '24 <-> EDM 1st '24, cond. 4th '25, & cond. 5th '25

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
But Buch leads the Blues in goals and is 2nd to Thomas in +/- up front +8… he has a lot more goals than Henrique. And he’s bigger younger and faster? I dunno.
Vegas won 2 of their last 10.

It's very possible St.L or Seattle could catch them with how they're spiralling.

They also made moves to ensure neither Stone nor Eichel can join them in the regular season.
They're praying Mantha and Hanifin can get them in.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Vegas won 2 of their last 10.

It's very possible St.L or Seattle could catch them with how they're spiralling.

They also made moves to ensure neither Stone nor Eichel can join them in the regular season.
They're praying Mantha and Hanifin can get them in.
Eichel is already back.

• Wow
Reactions: Perfect_Drug
Oct 15, 2008
not calling you out - but what is too much? a 1st that may never play for us? just trying to understand why people may feel this may be a bad deal - to me it seems pretty good
We will have to wait and see what else gets done by the deadline…these guys are pure rentals, and so far some teams have been getting some pretty good rentals giving up far less than we just did. The higher price seems to correlate with the retention which indicates to me that Holland isn’t done so he must have something else in the works

Reactions: MoontoScott

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I like Derek Ryan but he is (unfortunately) too small to expect him to be effective to match against the bottom 6 of a contender (Vegas for example).
He is better off on the wing where he doesnt have to grind down low in his own zone.
That lack of heaviness (while still being defensively responsible) is and was a major problem.
I like Gagner too but he doesnt play centre and doesnt PK. He is a fine part time winger but because he can only play 5x5 (and also isnt a heavy player) its much harder to justify him taking up a roster spot on a bottom 6 that doesnt provide a lot of heaviness down low.

Carrick is a 50% + face off man that can hold his head above water and give you tons of grit.
He is also good on the PK. He can also fight if necessary.
Certainly not a sexy player but he is big, tough and responsible defensively.
Exactly what you want for a 4C.

I don't think Ryan's problem is that he's too small, but rather (due to his bad back) he's too weak. Someone like Hamblin is smaller, but because his back isn't a brittle twig and he's willing to play like a little ball of hate, it means he's not as easy for opponents to lean on/push around.

Ryan's a guy that gets by with smooth skating, a solid work ethic, veteran savviness/craftiness, and fantastic hockey sense. He definitely has a spot in my bottom 6, as there's reason why he can work well as a 3rd wheel to combos like RNH-Hyman or Foegele-McLeod; but he needs to be on the wing where his lack of strength is less of an issue.

Carrick basically gives you a rich man's Hamblin (that felt weird to type). I do think ANA drowned him a bit defensively (he's not a liability in the slightest, but hardly a shutdown centre. Similar defensively to someone like Shore), but team him up with Janmark and Ryan/Brown to do the actual defensive heavy lifting, and that's a good 4th line with quality defence and a bit of jam.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Also I'm surprised we have seen this posted yet,

Henrique's goals from last season.

Bit of an interesting watch, as there's very few goals that are mirror images of each other. He attacks in variety of ways.

The bigger take away for me is though his hands and willingness to carry the puck are better than I thought; Everything is very controlled and deliberate. He also seems to read open ice and find/drift into soft spots really well. Lots of plays where it's the "right place, right time".

It's fun that I just posted about Ryan above, because that's whom he stylistically reminded me of.
Way more offensive talent, but its that ability, despite not being the fastest, to navigate and not get lost in open ice. To use a football term, he near always keeps good leverage on the play.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
We will have to wait and see what else gets done by the deadline…these guys are pure rentals, and so far some teams have been getting some pretty good rentals giving up far less than we just did. The higher price seems to correlate with the retention which indicates to me that Holland isn’t done so he must have something else in the works
How other teams are sending away less than we did speaks to limited cap room, and how either nobody wants Ceci - or nobody wants Ceci with another year on his contract. Takes two parties to make a trade.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
That usually means it was a fair trade for both sides. Which I think this one was.

I think this is why some oiler fans are upset - they always feel like we should be able to fleece teams or get deals. I'm aware that teams like Florida, Tampa Bay and Vegas these deals but the reality is that it's harder for Edmonton - we have to pay market value for players.

Also, I remember this time last year when we acquired Ekholm that fans were clamoring that we overpaid.

Who knows, maybe Henrique likes it here and decides to sign. I look at a team like Toronto who acquired Giordano and got him signed for cheap. Hopefully Henrique is more interested in playoff games and winning a cup than cashing in. He couldn't have asked for a better situation and would be a heck of a 3C going forward.

I have no problem with Carrick, he's a better Devin Shore that can bring some passion, levity and heart into a somewhat stagnant bottom 6. Worst case scenario you have a guy making 400k pushing other guys to be better and fight for their jobs.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Isn’t that what the 5th is for? Anaheim we had it done at 50% no matter what, we had to pay the 5th to Tampa to get that done.

Which again, I don’t mind the player at all and I do think he will be a good fit. I just wish we got him for cheaper or aimed higher with our first.

Yeah, I posted that before we knew we were giving an additional fifth to Tampa

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think this is why some oiler fans are upset - they always feel like we should be able to fleece teams or get deals. I'm aware that teams like Florida, Tampa Bay and Vegas these deals but the reality is that it's harder for Edmonton - we have to pay market value for players.

Also, I remember this time last year when we acquired Ekholm that fans were clamoring that we overpaid.

Who knows, maybe Henrique likes it here and decides to sign. I look at a team like Toronto who acquired Giordano and got him signed for cheap. Hopefully Henrique is more interested in playoff games and winning a cup than cashing in. He couldn't have asked for a better situation and would be a heck of a 3C going forward.

I have no problem with Carrick, he's a better Devin Shore that can bring some passion, levity and heart into a somewhat stagnant bottom 6. Worst case scenario you have a guy making 400k pushing other guys to be better and fight for their jobs.
I would gladly take Henrique on a 1 year "old guy" deal, at around 2 million or something. Basically give him Foegele's money from this year, as Foeg's is gonna get paid in the offseason, and it won't be from us.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Totally, you can tell he's still a bit in shock that he got to go to a contender at the deadline.
"I have to check if I'm dreaming" Another guy thats gone all the way from ECHL to the show, and then to a top team. A feel good story. Hoping he makes the most of it.

Will be nice to see Henrique as an Oiler. Guy gets another chance at playoffs. In Anaheim players would wonder if they ever get another chance.

Still amazed Henrique was +3 in Anaheim. How did he even manage that. Impressive.

Just a mention as well Henrique had 2G 6pts in his last 5GP in Anaheim. We even got him coming in on a heater.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Unfortunately Henrique just got his first taste of dumb Edmonton media.

"I've been through this before packing bags going to a new team mid season"

Presser: Where did you come from the first time? (This was actually asked)

Henrique: (a little pause) Um New Jersey.....

ffs do a little research. Any 10yr old kid would know where Henrique had played before Anaheim. That was embarassing.

I guess Henrique got filled in immediately on what kind of idiot beat reporters Oilers have. I wouldn't expect a question this dumb in Peoria where they would know less about the NHL.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't think Ryan's problem is that he's too small, but rather (due to his bad back) he's too weak. Someone like Hamblin is smaller, but because his back isn't a brittle twig and he's willing to play like a little ball of hate, it means he's not as easy for opponents to lean on/push around.

Ryan's a guy that gets by with smooth skating, a solid work ethic, veteran savviness/craftiness, and fantastic hockey sense. He definitely has a spot in my bottom 6, as there's reason why he can work well as a 3rd wheel to combos like RNH-Hyman or Foegele-McLeod; but he needs to be on the wing where his lack of strength is less of an issue.

Carrick basically gives you a rich man's Hamblin (that felt weird to type). I do think ANA drowned him a bit defensively (he's not a liability in the slightest, but hardly a shutdown centre. Similar defensively to someone like Shore), but team him up with Janmark and Ryan/Brown to do the actual defensive heavy lifting, and that's a good 4th line with quality defence and a bit of jam.
Absolutey fair assessment and I wasnt aware that Ryan had back issues.
Thanks for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4