Confirmed with Link: Edler suspended for 2 games (Post #56)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I was actually going over that play just before finding about about Edler's suspension. You can make a justification case given Kopecky turns both abrupt and awkward, making it difficult for Nash to stop now that he's committed. My argument though is the hit remains reckless and if they are willing to suspend Edler for Smith being a diving putz, then Nash should have got at least a game.

It certainly is telling when virtually the entire main board is unanimous in saying this suspension was nonsense.

I can live with a suspension. They have a precedent and the Coyotes are worried about concussion or whiplash. Had a pest done that to Schneider or Luongo I'd want it dealt with. Now they have a standard after the Lucic fiasco, I can live with it so long as they keep applying it, especially if the goalie was injured.

I'm more pissed at Hansen suspension vs Nash getting a pass for the same thing. Or Torres getting suspended for Eberle heabutting his hip.

Last edited:

StringerBell

Oh enough already.

I guess mods aren't allowed to block the annoying posters, are they? You have my sorrow, but it doesn't mean you have to quote their posts for the rest of us.

I can live with a suspension. They have a precedent and the Coyotes are worried about concussion or whiplash. I had a pest to do that to Schneider or Luongo, so they have a standard I can live with it of he was injured.

I'm more pissed at Hansen suspension vs Nash getting a pass for the same thing. Or Torres getting suspended for Eberle heabutting his hip.

Yeah, I was way more pissed about Hansen. They were both just for show, but at least this one was to show the league you aren't allowed to do something illegal. I still don't even think Honey Badger should have seen two minutes for that.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I can live with a suspension. They have a precedent and the Coyotes are worried about concussion or whiplash. I had a pest to do that to Schneider or Luongo, so they have a standard I can live with it of he was injured.

I guarantee they aren't worried about a damn thing. Smith will play the next game like nothing ever happened. If he was okay enough to practically try and maul Edler, then either he was never that hurt to begin or he's a bloody moron. Either way, the league has made this into a dog and pony show.

I guess mods aren't allowed to block the annoying posters, are they? You have my sorrow, but it doesn't mean you have to quote their posts for the rest of us.

He's supposedly a Nucks fan, but really. I have to wonder with how much he seems loathe them.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
How can any rational person look at that play and not see Edler skating with his head up many feet away from Smith and then he skates towards him, watching him the entire time, and runs into him... I don't see how anyone can debate that. Unless they're just making excuses because he's our guy.

Did you see Nash's hit? He got 0 games for it. By comparison why does Edler deserve 2 for this? Hell why did Hansen deserve 1 for his hit on Hossa? The NHL is a joke!

ruiner

Feb 20, 2013
They have a precedent and the Coyotes are worried about concussion or whiplash.

Maybe if he had braced himself instead of flopping around he wouldn't have been injured (if he actually is). I know he's not supposed to have to brace himself, I'm just saying his exaggerated movements would not have helped himself.

Edler seemed to be able to protect himself fine when Hanzal came flying in at his head when he was down on the ice. Even though he shouldn't have had someone taking a shot at his head in that position.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
How can any rational person look at that play and not see Edler skating with his head up many feet away from Smith and then he skates towards him, watching him the entire time, and runs into him... I don't see how anyone can debate that. Unless they're just making excuses because he's our guy.

Where else is Edler suppose to look when the play is happening where Smith is? In the stands?

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
hahahaha, i feel so angry i just can laught to stay health right now. I know, Shanny has played in the league and think he know what is dangerous and not. But this is just redicilous! Shameahan=FAIL

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
I considered the hit a penalty worth taking. Even 5 minutes was harsh, but justified and still kind of worth it. The league is just dropping ball after ball when it comes to supplementary discipline.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Just to echo what I posted on the main board.

The NHL is corporate America, look around at how corrupt corporate America is, and it can't be any surprise that the classic corporate looking guy in Bettman, with a guy like Jacobs as the chief puppet master, runs a corrupt show full of double standards.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-united-states
The owners are responsible for this lockout. Their point man Gary Bettman is the public face of their villainy, but owners like Jeremy Jacobs of the Boston Bruins and Ed Snider of the Philadelphia Flyers give him his marching orders (source: ESPN.com).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357561
The Globe adds that one of the biggest backers to get Bettman the extension was Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, who is the league's chairman of the board of governors. As chairman, one of Jacobs's duties is to keep the commissioner and the other key executives under contract.

One thing for sure is, you'd be delusional not to think one area Edler and others have been guilty of is not having a big "B" on their chest.

Sedinery2011

Nov 18, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Also, I like that Edler did this. Smith clearly punched Daniel in my opinion, and he got a little payback. Whatever.

This is what happened. Edler was retaliating. I was glad to see it. In the replay, Smith undoubtedly jabs Daniel in the face. Serves him right that he hurt his hand in the process.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
is it just me or am I the only one that has noticed the hypocrisy of the "diver list" and that the fact that Shanahan did not take this into account when he looked at the Edler infraction?

Why is it that half of our team has this reputation for diving and gets called for embellishment at the drop of a hat, but when a suspension comes into question they do not look at the reputation of the other party?

Mike Smith is a known diver. His signature move is the exact play that Edler was called on. How the hell does Brendan Shanahan, the most vocal opponent to diving in the NHL, not consider Smith's reputation when he looks at that incident?

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
I don't mind the suspension, but I think its crap after all the years we've watched Luongo get bumped and having literally nothing happen.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Bull****, Rick Nash gets no discipline whatsoever and Edler has never had a major penalty in his career and he gets 2 games, which in a shortened season is basically 4 games.

The NHL protects goalies playing the puck way too often.

Goalies flop all over the place on the smallest contact and always get the penalty, start calling diving on goaltenders who overreact and fall over on the smallest contact.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
And I'm sorry, but the reasoning on no Nash suspension is utter BS.

Becuase it was a hit from behind it wasn't suspension worthy. Did we all forget how Crosby got re-injured?

adamzilla

Mar 9, 2008
Vancouver
The suspension is a joke along with the league. Honestly not surprised at the suspension.

Surprised it wasn't more.

Really growing tired with the league and its decisions on everything. Bad leadership from the top down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad