Celebrity Death: Eddie Antar - Crazy Eddie, 68

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Such jammed-into-your-head-so-you-can-never-forget-it memories ...

"Prices so low he's practically giving it all away!"

Note that the actor in the commercials was not Crazy Eddy as many assumed, but a NY DJ (Jerry Carroll).

NPR did a radio/podcast piece on the fall of and financial fraud behind Crazy Eddy's:

Inside The Mind Of A Financial Criminal

Before Bernie Madoff, there was the Antar family. In the seventies and eighties, the family ran a popular electronics chain, Crazy Eddie, which was known for its frenetic commercials and low prices. The business was crooked from the start, but the fraud got more serious when the family took the company public in the 1984. Going public earned the Antar family millions of dollars, but infighting and jealousy later led them to turn against each other. In 1987, the Securities and Exchange Commission investigated the family and discovered years of inflated profits and overstated income.

Today one of the masterminds of the fraud, Eddie's cousin Sam Antar, explains how they did it and why it worked for so long. Antar now lectures about white collar fraud and says it's a brutal crime.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Yeah, even though I lived in Rhode Island, we got WPIX and listened to WCBS-AM, WNBC-AM and WINS so we always heard Crazy Eddie ads.

But it was really Jerry Carroll everyone marked out for.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Note that the actor in the commercials was not Crazy Eddy as many assumed, but a NY DJ (Jerry Carroll).

NPR did a radio/podcast piece on the fall of and financial fraud behind Crazy Eddy's:
To be honest, no - I never knew that:laugh:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Mourning the death of a fraud are we?

Mourning, no - merely acknowledging;) But his death also brings to light a false story I'd heard ages ago that when he was accused of fraud he'd fled the country for Israel because they don't extradite Jews. Wonder if his story had gotten crossed over with someone else's.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
a true pioneer, without him we wouldn't have had our own local treasure Crazy Gideon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad