WC: Team Canada 2024

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'd say when you don't really care what happens now you have effectively dropped your support.

But that's me.
Ive lost most of my interest. I will watch if its on, it is what it is a world championship. Happens every year I really dont like the players they have decided to bring over what they had already had. I think if they had commited a spot to a player in this type of tournament sending them home is cowardly. If you are going to bring someone in they better be a stud player that is a massive upgrade. I dont see that here. Its classic hockey canada idiotic decisions.

Reactions: Summer Rose

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I am not dumping my support but I really dont care what happens now. Mcbain over Greig is also an absolute joke. Just slower less skilled choices when they are playing a skill game on the big ice. Its frankly boring. Does anyone wanna watch Tavares Dubois and Mcbain?.... Honestly. Does that fire you up? Do you think they are that much of a better team with those three players than Fantilli, Celebrini and Greig? Probably but not by much.

Sure.

Tavares is one season removed from a PPG player, PLD scores at close to a 70 point season player at his best, McBain, well, he brings a more experienced set to his game than the kids. And I've lost track of all this chatter, aren't we still complaining about Brandon Hagel and Nick Paul? Hagel is tied for 12th in points on ALL Canadian forwards this season, guy might even get a look at an Olympic team, and Nick Paul is not a bad player.

Greig and Fantilli scored 26 and 27 points respectively. Celebrini hasn't had an NHL game. These are Fs, not Ds, so point production matters.

If this was an Olympic team the players on this roster would get consideration far sooner than any of those three (though I suspect most wouldn't make it).

But let's put it this way, suppose we aren't the elite hockey power we are, if we are more like a Slovakia, Czech or Switzerland we would 100% be onboard bringing JT or PLD over a Celebrini or Fantilli. Or if this was like a soccer tournament, even a B-list one like the nations league or gold cup instead of the world cup... we would be sending the damn best player we have not a future prospect. You leave that to the Juniors teams.

So, yeah. I think it does move the needle, Canada is likelier to win a gold, and this isn't a Mickey Mouse U18 tournament and even if we don't take it seriously, HC and the staff there do - and the players that come do, otherwise they wouldn't have flown halfway across the world for this.

Reactions: jj cale

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I'd love to watch the games, but with the Oilers game finishing at 1 am EST and these games at 6 am EST, I haven't seen a second of the tournament.

I do like the roster though, it's a tournament so I don't mind kicking the kids to the curb for experience. There's nothing to build for here out side of like 7 games. As long as the team shows improvement in each game it's a win.

Reactions: jj cale

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Greig is a gamer who is fast, physical and can play on any line.

A shame he’s not playing because he’s a competitor and exactly the kind of guy you want to create and sustain momentum.

If the team lacks fire and energy they will miss a guy like Greig. A good team needs balance.

The fact that people are citing point totals to talk about him is a pretty strong indication that they haven’t seen much of him.

How many points did he score in the warm up games? Anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Codo37 and jj cale

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Greig is a gamer who is fast, physical and can play on any line.

A shame he’s not playing because he’s a competitor and exactly the kind of guy you want to create and sustain momentum.

If the team lacks fire and energy they will miss a guy like Greig. A good team needs balance.

The fact that people are citing point totals to talk about him is a pretty strong indication that they haven’t seen much of him.

How many points did he score in the warm up games? Anyway.
That's what I like most about you as a poster, NQ, you NEVER let the love of your NHL team influence your posting in the International Forum.

Just teasing, NQ. :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I am not dumping my support but I really dont care what happens now. Mcbain over Greig is also an absolute joke. Just slower less skilled choices when they are playing a skill game on the big ice. Its frankly boring. Does anyone wanna watch Tavares Dubois and Mcbain?.... Honestly. Does that fire you up? Do you think they are that much of a better team with those three players than Fantilli, Celebrini and Greig? Probably but not by much.
I'm with you, Bert, I'd love to see a team of ALL kids - but, then again, I don't care (much) if we win this tournament.

Others care more and that's why they want to see the older, more accomplished, less likely to screw up, players.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You can all laugh at me now, but we'll see how he plays if he makes it back into the lineup.

It's not like I'm threatening to not root for the team or anything. I just think he has a skillset that would be valuable for this lineup.

My original point was that looking at his point totals for this season is a pretty shallow way of evaluating the player. By the end of the season, he ended up leading the entire team in plus/minus, was among the leaders in hits and he can play any forward position.

He provides speed, skill and physicality in an intriguing package and was (along with Pinto) one of the few noteworthy positive surprises on the Senators this year.

Meanwhile, Shane Pinto is second on Team USA in scoring and he put up 27 points this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: ORRFForever

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You can all laugh at me now, but we'll see how he plays if he makes it back into the lineup.

It's not like I'm threatening to not root for the team or anything. I just think he has a skillset that would be valuable for this lineup.

My original point was that looking at his point totals for this season is a pretty shallow way of evaluating the player. By the end of the season, he ended up leading the entire team in plus/minus, was among the leaders in hits and he can play any forward position.

He provides speed, skill and physicality in an intriguing package and was (along with Pinto) one of the few noteworthy positive surprises on the Senators this year.

Meanwhile, Shane Pinto is second on Team USA in scoring and he put up 27 points this year.
No one ever doubted your loyalty, not for a second.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
McBain over Greig. I'm officially completely checked out now. Won't be watching this trash slow team with no heart, speed or skill. Tavares, Paul and Dubois over Fantilli, Celebrini and Greig. That's the three rosters decisions they made lol. What a joke. Can barely beat Denmark and GB.

The forwards have such little skill it's kinda pathetic a year before a best on best. Literally not a single player other than Bedard has a real shot. Glad we got McBain over there lol.
1540 pts or 62.

Tavares had more points this year than all 3 guys combined have in their careers. Tavares gets way too much hate on this site lol.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Every once in a while, I appreciate this place because I am reminded that it's just hockey. It's fun. Our guys win or not and I'm happy for a while or I'm not, and then I go have a nice sandwich.

Reactions: therealdeal

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Greig is a competitor and a good fit for the depth lines. Canada has a lot of forwards though and a lot of them can play scoring or depth roles. Not surprising that he sits for now, though I do hope that he gets another shot later on.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Captain mediocrity. I am not sure why they picked a guy with 2 career playoff series wins in a 15 year career as Captain. Would have been nice to have seen a fresh pick, not a recycled pick. Tavares had a hard enough time producing 5 on 5 on a smaller ice surface. What is he going to do on a larger ice surface against Sweden, Finland, USA, Russia caliber teams? Canada should stuck with the younger team. Well atleast there is Bedard, maybe he can do something special, for Canada's sake. I know one thing it's not going to be Tavares that leads this team to win the tournament.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Captain mediocrity. I am not sure why they picked a guy with 2 career playoff series wins in a 15 year career as Captain. Would have been nice to have seen a fresh pick, not a recycled pick. Tavares had a hard enough time producing 5 on 5 on a smaller ice surface. What is he going to do on a larger ice surface against Sweden, Finland, USA, Russia caliber teams? Canada should stuck with the younger team. Well atleast there is Bedard, maybe he can do something special, for Canada's sake. I know one thing it's not going to be Tavares that leads this team to win the tournament.
It has to be his faceoff abilities. Nothing else makes sense.

1540 pts or 62.

Tavares had more points this year than all 3 guys combined have in their careers. Tavares gets way too much hate on this site lol.
I'm just worried about his speed - or lack thereof.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Have to have some progress today, the first two games Canada has gotten their feet wet and we know the deal and you can let a lot of things slide but by game three it's time to really get to work improving on our deficiencies, can't rely on Bedard having to save us every game..

Reactions: therealdeal

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Too much carelessness but that often happens. The team looked more assertive early on than it had in the earlier games. I'd like to see more Zellweger mixed in as a reliable puck mover. Didn't like Binnington's game, but that's pretty obvious. Likely a good learning experience for Canada. Things will tighten up as the games matter more and the players and staff buckle down from vacation mode, but the question is always whether they will tighten up enough.

Reactions: NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad