Ed Snider Not In Attendance For Team Photo

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
A few years ago I was at a Flyers-Jets game, it was extremely high scoring and the first time the Jets were back in Philadelphia so it makes this 2011-12 season. I'm pretty sure it was also a dollar dog night. I was walking the concourse maybe about a half hour before the game started and Mr. Snider was literally walking around just taking it in. No one else noticed it was him so I approached him and he chatted with me for a minute. I could tell how much he genuinely appreciated it when I thanked him for caring as much as he did. We're very lucky to have a owner as dedicated as him. It's not about money, it's about winning. I know he may have stepped in too much over the years, but it's all because he just wants this franchise to win. His acceptance of the "rebuild" says all you need to know about him. He values the success of this franchise more than anybody.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Snider is up there with Clarke, Bernie, Hextall, etc in terms of all-time Flyers greats.

It'd be a shame if he wasn't around to see some good days.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
A few years ago I was at a Flyers-Jets game, it was extremely high scoring and the first time the Jets were back in Philadelphia so it makes this 2011-12 season. I'm pretty sure it was also a dollar dog night. I was walking the concourse maybe about a half hour before the game started and Mr. Snider was literally walking around just taking it in. No one else noticed it was him so I approached him and he chatted with me for a minute. I could tell how much he genuinely appreciated it when I thanked him for caring as much as he did. We're very lucky to have a owner as dedicated as him. It's not about money, it's about winning. I know he may have stepped in too much over the years, but it's all because he just wants this franchise to win. His acceptance of the "rebuild" says all you need to know about him. He values the success of this franchise more than anybody.

The 9-8 game? I think that was the angriest I've ever been after a loss in the first half of the season.

http://flyers.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2011020128

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
The 9-8 game? I think that was the angriest I've ever been after a loss in the first half of the season.

http://flyers.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2011020128

Yup, that's the one. I just looked at the box score and totally forgot we were down 6-2 at one point. I remembered the scoring in the third period because there was literally five goals in five minutes and then the two late ones. What a roller coaster.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No wonder he is out of the league.

Bryzgalov blamed himself for the defeat, calling it the low point of his career.

"I have zero confidence in myself right now," he said. "I am terrible. (The offense) scores eight goals and we are still losing. It's obviously a terrible goalie and that's me.

"I am the reason we lost the game tonight. I am lost in the woods right now."

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
If he really is doing that badly right now... If there's any motivation for the team to win a cup this year, this should be it.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So you can take this however you want since it's April now but I heard from a family friend who golfs and other such things with Clarke et al frequently back in like October/November that they didn't expect Mr. Snider to make it past December. It was also my understanding that he isn't able to travel outside of California.

Now with it being almost April it's a good sign that the December timeline was incorrect.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
So you can take this however you want since it's April now but I heard from a family friend who golfs and other such things with Clarke et al frequently back in like October/November that they didn't expect Mr. Snider to make it past December. It was also my understanding that he isn't able to travel outside of California.

Now with it being almost April it's a good sign that the December timeline was incorrect.

I've known a couple of people who had cancer in my life. Maybe half of them lasted months longer than "predicted". But it was months, not years, in all cases. If what you heard is true, then this is the last playoffs he'll see. Very sad.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's all really sad to hear. Hopefully he can hang on a while longer since it really looks like there's great days ahead.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I've known a couple of people who had cancer in my life. Maybe half of them lasted months longer than "predicted". But it was months, not years, in all cases. If what you heard is true, then this is the last playoffs he'll see. Very sad.

Every case of cancer is different. My grandpa had cancer and was given months to live. He lasted three years and even then we aren't sure he died of natural causes, but one of his sons had him cremated very quickly, so we'll never know.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Mr. Snider needs to hold on to see Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, and The Neck in action along with Ghost.

it would be unfair and wrong if we turned the corner without him there to see it. sometimes life sucks.

i think it took a lot for him to step back and say hextall take your time and rebuild it your way, the right way....he wants the best for the team.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Really sad. I don't see us competing this year in the playoffs, but even taking the Caps to game 7 would be a wonderful thing for Snider to get to see.

And I agree with the above. I think Hak is our guy, for the very long future.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Really sad. I don't see us competing this year in the playoffs, but even taking the Caps to game 7 would be a wonderful thing for Snider to get to see.

And I agree with the above. I think Hak is our guy, for the very long future.

didnt realize how much this situation was motivating the flyers...with that inspiration behind us i have no doubt the caps would in for an absolute dog fight.

Atament

Jan 24, 2011
New Jersey
it would be unfair and wrong if we turned the corner without him there to see it. sometimes life sucks.

i think it took a lot for him to step back and say hextall take your time and rebuild it your way, the right way....he wants the best for the team.

Whether this is his last season or not (let's absolutely hope not), that could end up being one of the greatest gifts he could give to this city. He's made the Flyers; he IS the Flyers. His last gift could be starting the next era of the Flyers off the right way, in the right hands. Time will tell.

Best wishes to Mr. Snider, hopefully many more years of Flyers hockey and happiness, and all the respect in the world for our owner.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Man, this is really sad news. He's an owner that actually gives a crap, which to be honest isn't very common to find.

And yeah, hopefully the team can put up a good fight and make it deep for him this post season, he's always wanted the most competitive team possible. I like that quote from Simmonds above where he just says "He was pumped" after the big win. He loves this team, and as others have said, he is the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad