Ed Snider Not In Attendance For Team Photo

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I just read on another board that Ed Snider is not making the team photo tomorrow and this may be his last season...can someone confirm or deny this rumour?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Can a mod fix my typo in the title out of respect for Ed Snider.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
He hasn't been to a home game all year. He has cancer. He's 83 years old. Yeah, Ed might not be around much longer. Unfortunately.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Does he have kids? Is this going to be handed down?

I mean I know Ed was a pain in the ass some years, but you gotta love an owner who will do almost anything to win.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
FWIW, I located the article from January 2016 regarding the team's visit to his California house.

http://articles.philly.com/2016-01-02/sports/69450972_1_luke-schenn-ed-snider-captain-claude-giroux

The place where the Flyers practiced Thursday was the recently opened Snider Rink, or Ice in Paradise. The plaque on the wall gives thanks to Snider and his wife, Lin, calling them an "inspiration" for bringing ice skating to the Santa Barbara area. Snider was one of the rink's largest donors.

Snider, who cofounded the Flyers in 1967-68, missed the home opener this season for the first time in recent memory. At the time, team spokesman Ike Richman said Snider was "choosing to remain at his home in California, where he is resting and recharging after recent medical therapy."

He has attended a few games at the Wells Fargo Center this season, but he returned to California earlier in December.

-----------------
The cancer was revealed in 2014:

Ed Snider, who brought hockey to Philadelphia in 1967 as founder of the Flyers, is battling an unspecified cancer and completed chemotherapy this week, according to several sources.

"He's going to work every day and it's treatable," a source in the organization said.

The condition is "non-life-threatening" and Snider is "doing well," said Ike Richman, a spokesman for Comcast-Spectacor, the Flyers' parent company. "He is happy and healthy."

http://articles.philly.com/2014-05-...tacor-philadelphia-sports-writers-association

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Unfortunate. Hopefully he can make it through the 50th Anniversary season and beyond since things are looking up for the Flyers in the next couple of years..

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
I've always admired Snider. He always had a passion for the sport and the Flyers. He may have held onto the Bullies mentality too long, but he always made sure the Flyers had every possible resource to succeed.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Let's hope for a little playoff run for Ed to watch.
I can definitely see the flyers laying it all on the line to get this guy a cup this year. Would really make a great story for an owner that's dedicated his life to bringing a cup to philly. I hope they make it happen. I still tear up thinking how great it was for Harry the K call the World Series.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Kind of sucks as the team looks to be turning the corner after this little step back in recent years. This year is kind of a bonus year to me & next year is really where it starts.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I met Mr. Snider at an event not hockey related and had the chance to both listen to him and talk to him over a few hours. Couldn't have been nicer.

PensBrony 6 9*

I had the pleasure of meeting mr. snider about 5 years ago. i was sitting at a red light on broad street north of city hall when the guy next to me tooted his horn to get my attention. It was an older man driving a really nice car. i rolled down my window and he said "hey, your back tire is getting pretty low!". we waved to each other and just then, the light turned green, he drove away, and it dawned on me. that was ed snider. my girlfriend at the time can confirm it. most *******s in this city would have laughed and thought "lol, that really good looking guy's ferrari has a flat" and driven away without telling me, but not mr. snider. He had the good nature to help out a fellow man when he had no obligation. It's a shame the way some people have talked about him in recent years. He wants to win the cup probably more than any fan in this city and i'd hate to think what my experience as a flyers fan would have been like without him at the helm for all these years.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I mentioned that earlier this season when there were some posts suggesting Snider might interfere with the plan Hextall was following.

Hextall had an unyielding and precise stance prior to accepting the job. I feel fully comfortable in saying that Snider accepted those terms.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Hextall is his own man.....thankfully. We are seeing the progress as a result.

Sometimes, the on-ice persona doesn't almost match the off-ice characteristics. Hextall is very detail-oriented and has a steadfast approach. When things go south, fans will often shout for a new voice, someone from outside, and that is understandable, but Hextall had the benefit of being both in-house and the affirmation of another organization to hone his management skills. It is still a long way to the ultimate goal but right now he and his staff are making positive steps.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
It's almost going too well. I mean the improvement is happening faster than expected and so many of the prospects are improving at an even better/faster rate than they hoped.

It's quite amazing.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
When Jimmy Watson made his FHoF Induction speech he mentioned Mr. Snider calling him to congratulate him on his Induction... that in itself is so wonderful that Mr. Snider would make sure to do that from thousands of miles away, in whatever condition he was in... and Jimmy alluded to his health no being that well. That was the only thing from the 'inside' that I've heard... and there has not been any news of his status that can be searched out... I know he had cancer than was manageable in the recent past, and I know that didn't look his normal self in the last video I saw of him... maybe at Brindy's Induction or the STH Game or something???? He hasn't been as visible of late.

There may not be a person alive that I have never really met... other than in passing a couple times when greeted him and thank him -- he never hesitant to to shake hands as both times I raised my hind in greeting and he made the motion of preparing to shake hands... which I awkwardly/clumsily and shyly didn't follow up on -- there may not be a person alive that I never really met that I respect more nor have a warmer feeling for that Ed Snider... My respect has been there almost fifty years as we have both loved the same exact thing; the Flyers Organization... I followed as a die hard fan, and Mr. Snider followed as one would follow and tend to his own child.

I've always said that when Ed Snider passes on, the Flyers will never be the same... the Sports of Philadelphia will never be the same. He has arguably been the City's greatest Sports Owner by a country mile... and is arguably one of the greatest Sports Team Owner in all of Sports History... Being a long time Flyers Fan, a piece of me will go along with Mr. Snider with his eventual passing, if I'm still alive at that time... Ed Snider has given me more fine memories than any other non-relative could ever do. I pray for his health and many, many more fine years of leading the Flyers... and for him to be there to kiss another Cup with his Flyers Family... I want another one for Ed and for myself; two old Flyers fanatics. :nod:

panayiotis

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
mr flyer

Ed is best owner in hockey. Cool guy. Great passion for hockey and blondes. ED is the flyers. Fired is own son because he was f-ing up his flyers. I have followed the team since 72. Hang in there ED.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Ed is best owner in hockey. Cool guy. Great passion for hockey and blondes. ED is the flyers. Fired is own son because he was f-ing up his flyers. I have followed the team since 72. Hang in there ED.

No truer words have ever been said than that bolded sentence.

He reportedly considered Bob Clarke as his son... I can believe that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad