GDT: ECSF Game 4: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Carolina Hurricanes, 7 PM, ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
the first two games eh whatever but last night is 1000% on the goalie. you get spotted a 1-0 lead at home crowd with you going nuts and then you cant even keep the game close? like say 2-1 or even 3-1? i'm sorry but that is on the goalie its crazy because its not like this wasn't predicted once the goalie was announced EVERYONE knew this was going to happen.

Hardly. Goalie can't stop what he can't see - you can't just make blanket statements when we let guys cruise the slot, screen our goalie and give the puck away to that particular team 26 times.

Score 1 goal and win? How is that going to happen? I could just as fasciously say 'It's all on Jack Hughes to score 7 goals'.

If anyone is coming out of this a complete goat - it's the forwards who are looking to sign BIG contracts and have one goal.... or disappearing vets like Tatar.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'm not liking the attitude that us losing tomorrow is a foregone conclusion

We just need some belief, and a little help

1683739520264.png

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
the first two games eh whatever but last night is 1000% on the goalie. you get spotted a 1-0 lead at home crowd with you going nuts and then you cant even keep the game close? like say 2-1 or even 3-1? i'm sorry but that is on the goalie its crazy because its not like this wasn't predicted once the goalie was announced EVERYONE knew this was going to happen.

You can single out the goalie, he obviously was bad, but so was the team who turned it over 26 times in front of him.

You don't exactly give your goalie a fighting chance by handing the puck to the opposition on a silver platter every chance you get.

The necessity to single out one person or problem as the reason we lost is just mental gymnastics. There were plenty of reasons and plenty of blame to go around.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
This was a case of playing the goalie who has not played well AT ALL this entire postseason instead of the guy who, while he did have rough games, played outstanding at times and recorded two shutouts.

Ruff's justification was Vitek beat the canes on March 12 and won the previous game (in which he didn't play particularly well and benefitted from the 8 goals NJ scored).

It's probably moot anyway because the entire team played like crap. Still, I woulda felt better watching a competitive 3-1 loss than another demoralizing blowout. Would have at least given me a shred of hope for seeing a Game 6.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I don't care who is in net, this is not a recipe for success.

Maybe because the bulk of the goals happened on the side of the ice I couldn't see as well, but my take inside the building is Carolina adjusted and we simplely folded.

Goal 1 I did see clearly and you can't put that on Vitek.

Skaters were playing like ass and were giving pucks away like candy.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Because a one year sample size doesn’t mean anything. A 3 year sample size is much larger.

I think you can argue Campbell, Jones and Mrazek are worse though.

So you're hanging you hat on Schmid and his one year sample size?

We're moving on from Blackwood - so it doesn't matter - but your hate is so complete - and so completely biased and over the top... Our goalies played great this season - yet somehow you're all up in their faces over losing to and giving up goals to teams that are in the playoffs for a reason, and have by all measures pretty much dominated us in a bipolar fashion.

You're consistently saying the goalies are bad. For years. Yet when the coaches pull these guys, they've rarely if ever said it was 'their fault'. I certainly would make a case that Blackwood got pulled because he sucked. But VV? Schmid? I don't think they got pulled because they were honestly 'bad' in but maybe one or two games max. It has always been the team. Look at the goalie ranks. VV is 18th in SV% and 9th in GAA. Now, I could make a case he's actually worse than about twenty guys behind him. I could also make a case that he might have won 40 games if he played on Boston and he's better than 10+ guys in front of him (Skinner, Logan Thompson, Swaman, Hill, Korpisalo, etc...). Fact is- alot of these guys are average on good teams.

But there are literally 30-40 goalies that played this year that are worse than MB29.

Look - you and I just don't get each other - and that's fine - we've known that for years - and it's cool. Still love ya man.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So you're hanging you hat on Schmid and his one year sample size?

We're moving on from Blackwood - so it doesn't matter - but your hate is so complete - and so completely biased and over the top... Our goalies played great this season - yet somehow you're all up in their faces over losing to and giving up goals to teams that are in the playoffs for a reason, and have by all measures pretty much dominated us in a bipolar fashion.

You're consistently saying the goalies are bad. For years. Yet when the coaches pull these guys, they've rarely if ever said it was 'their fault'. I certainly would make a case that Blackwood got pulled because he sucked. But VV? Schmid? I don't think they got pulled because they were honestly 'bad' in but maybe one or two games max. It has always been the team. Look at the goalie ranks. VV is 18th in SV% and 9th in GAA. Now, I could make a case he's actually worse than about twenty guys behind him. I could also make a case that he might have won 40 games if he played on Boston and he's better than 10+ guys in front of him (Skinner, Logan Thompson, Swaman, Hill, Korpisalo, etc...). Fact is- alot of these guys are average on good teams.

But there are literally 30-40 goalies that played this year that are worse than MB29.

Look - you and I just don't get each other - and that's fine - we've known that for years - and it's cool. Still love ya man.
I'm actually not hanging my hat on Schmid and his one year sample size. In fact, I said I think yesterday or the day before that I wouldn't be shocked if he came out and played poorly next year, but at least it will be at a league minimum-ish salary and not what we've been paying Blackwood or what we would pay him with his qualifying offer. And I've acknowledged that while he was better than Vitek than the regular season, he also didn't play as many games and may not have still performed better than him had he played that many games.

I don't agree that there are literally 30-40 goalies that played this year that are worse than Blackwood. There's probably quite a few, if not for the fact that there's always third stringers that get called up from the AHL because of injuries. Alex Lyon and Pheonix Copley were the most biggest names that got extended time this year. I don't really count these guys as NHL goalies when I do my ''Blackwood is the worst goalie in the NHL''. If someone argued Campbell, Jones and Mrazek were worse than him I'd accept that. Even if they argued Quick and Elliott were worse than him, I'd accept that, but those guys are 37 years old and I'd be shocked if Elliott hasn't played his last game in the league. Quick probably should have, but someone may sign him because he's Jonathan Quick and that's a pretty powerful name.

All that said, I really didn't mean to discuss Blackwood much in this thread or turn this into a talk about him. I only brought him up in relation to why Vitek played as much as he did in the regular season. Although, if we're really misfortunate, he just may become relevant again tomorrow night..... At least for one more night. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Only about 29 hours from now until we find out for sure and maybe even about 22 hours until we find out if there's a good chance in the morning skate.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I hope the Devils get at least 1 more win, maybe 2. I am not happy about the series but I also have to remember this season was unexpected. With that said, I hate this teams mindset. The “house money” term is crap. There are no guarantees, It took the Leafs 5 years to get to the second round. This team folds with any sign of adversity. The only close game was game 3.

I think more than goaltending and defense, it’s the forwards. Look at the giveaways. Look at the lack of back checking. The cheating to get up ice.

Luke tried to hit the seem, he then goes off for a change, Necas breaks into the zone, nobody picks him up, Luke with one leg on the bench was the closest to brake up the shot when the play ended. Where da funk was his teammates?!

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If the Islanders can go 6 against them then god dammit, so can we! If the Islanders can go 6 against them, we should be able to take them down!

But once again..... Goaltending..... And not just on our side, but both sides.

Not only did the Islanders have Sorokin, but the Islanders got to face Raanta for 5 of the 6 games. We haven't had the pleasure of getting to face Raanta yet because of his hemorrhoids.

Yes, Freddie is not a good goalie anymore, but he always has been and still is better than Raanta.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And I think the team was already ehhhh on bringing back Tatar anyway. I've been predicting that he will be walking for a while now, but I really think after this playoffs that's sealed.

Because of his age, I don't really think management wants him back and would like to move on from him. I think he was always supposed to just be a stop gap. And let's face it, before this year, I don't think any of us really expected there was much of a chance that Tatar was going to play here in 2023-2024.

I do think him being gone will hurt us somewhat, unless we plan to replace him with someone similar, but maybe just a little younger than him. I don't think too many people have much confidence in Holtz coming in and taking his spot or Rango reclaiming his spot, but that may just be what happens.

I do think Haula will be back though.

Hopefully Graves is not. He will be a waste of cap space. If we're really gonna bring him back, I would try and just bring Severson back, who will likely cost a bit more in both dollars and term, but if we can get Severson for literally just about $2 million more per year than Graves? I think you do it and don't even hesitate.

And if you do hesitate, then just let them both walk. Graves will be a waste of cap space after a year.

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lindy kind of got snippy with someone in the press conference last night for the first time since Ryan called him out about Bratt's ice time in the season opener lol. Not sure who it was, but I don't think it was Ryan Novozinsky that asked it last night.

Someone asked him about why he didn't bench Vitek earlier and he snapped back ''What did you want him benched for?'' or something lol. And the guy was like ''Well, I'm not saying I did'' or something lol.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If the Islanders can go 6 against them then god dammit, so can we! If the Islanders can go 6 against them, we should be able to take them down!

But once again..... Goaltending..... And not just on our side, but both sides.

Not only did the Islanders have Sorokin, but the Islanders got to face Raanta for 5 of the 6 games. We haven't had the pleasure of getting to face Raanta yet because of his hemorrhoids.

Yes, Freddie is not a good goalie anymore, but he always has been and still is better than Raanta.
The Islanders scored 11 goals and allowed 12 through the first 4 games and went down 3-1.

The Devils scored 11 goals and allowed 21 through the first 4 games and went down 3-1

The common denominator is not scoring enough goals.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
There is and was, literally NO ONE better we could have gotten.
He might not be the long term answer - but ya know, if our players can play THAT badly in front of him, and you have faith that they'll eventually not suck - you might want to give a young goalie a chance too.

Or should we just blow the whole 'franchise-record-in-wins-and-points' team up, because, you know - we turned the puck over a bazillion times to arguably the best remaining team in the playoffs; the team that out-systemed and out-disciplined the Islanders of all teams and actually HAS talent too.
Should have drafted a blue chip goalie instead of holtz. We could be years filtering through other teams rejects before we find something

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lindy kind of got snippy with someone in the press conference last night for the first time since Ryan called him out about Bratt's ice time in the season opener lol. Not sure who it was, but I don't think it was Ryan Novozinsky that asked it last night.

Someone asked him about why he didn't bench Vitek earlier and he snapped back ''What did you want him benched for?'' or something lol. And the guy was like ''Well, I'm not saying I did'' or something lol.
Ryan claimed on Twitter it was his question

• Wow
Reactions: Bleedred

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
As I said last night, if we had been competitive in these losses, it would make it seem so much better. Its how the wheels fall off which we havent seen a lot of this season in regular season is mind boggling. All season long there has been strong resilliency - except in these playoffs (and maybe in the dougie OT win game).

Legit every loss has been a blowout of sorts, where the team has practically no chance from mid game onward of even making it worthwhile for themselves or the fans. Hate to have the season nearly close out like this after such a successful season overall.

Also the idea of Brunette replacing Ruff doesnt make me feel any better. The PP has been dogpile shit since game like 75, and we are embarassingly terrible versus the canes in that PP matchup. No answers.

Floridas PP suffered terribly in their playoffs too. Unrelated to us except for Brunnette who took full blame for that last season.

If Bratt wants more than 7.5 million we need to say no. Also Meier is tempting but we shouldnt go crazy either. Prefferably I would love to keep both but i dont think we can, and the Bratt zero impact is highly concerning.

Bratt has showed me absolutely nothing. He’s not the type of player who will be successful in the playoffs. I hope they trade him. And add him to our goaltending. 6 goals here 5 goals there. It’s crazy.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Vitek Vanacek =Roman Turek. Remember him with the Blues. Great regular season goalie with a good overall team in front of him and then laid turds in the playoffs. Also see Patrick Lalime.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Bratt is getting 70% of high danger chances and 28% of goals off of high danger chances. Roughly the same for Nico. That says a lot about how things have gone. Certainly no reason to believe these players “can’t play in the playoffs” or any of that nonsense.

Martinook, a player that has done absolutely nothing in the playoffs before this year and was waived by Carolina, is completely shithousing us. Hard to predict what will happen in a short run of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad