BRUINS GDT ECSF - Game 2 Bruins (1) at Lightning (0) - 4/30 7:11 PM - NBCSN, CBC, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Series will start for REAL tomorrow. I think Tampa will abandon their "usual" and resort to the ways the Leafs will gave the Bruins fits.

The thing is, I doubt they will be able to "execute it" as well...as the Leafs are overall a quicker team. And they still don't have an answer (like a Plekanec) to slow down the Bergeron line.

Hopefully the Bruins can steal one tomorrow and leave the building quickly!

I think the Bolts will do little to change their approach offensively, where it`s obvious an adjustment is needed is in their own end. If anything, on 3 separate occasions I could see some of their players releasing from their zone as they anticipated their D was going to get the puck out and they didn`t, leaving the B`s with possession and the Bolts players try to get back into the play, I suspect Cooper worked on that yesterday

I think their play in the offensive zone was fine, Tuukka made some great saves

Reactions: rocketdan9

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Obviously expecting a big push back by this Tampa team.

If the Bs can come out and weather the storm and squeeze out of this one with a W.

That would be huge heading back to Boston.

Reactions: Ladyfan

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
With how the other series are going, man it would be incredible to have a short series here so Chara and company could rest a week. That's the kind of thing that can make a playoff run.

That said this Tampa team is really a force. I'm expecting a ton of push back tonight. But I do think they're incapable of coming back down 0-2 with that leadership group. I don't see them having it in them to out-will Patrice and company down 0-2. This is like an elimination game for them.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
With how the other series are going, man it would be incredible to have a short series here to Chara and company could rest a week. That's the kind of thing that can make a playoff run.

That said this Tampa team is really a force. I'm expecting a ton of push back tonight. But I do think they're incapable of coming back down 0-2 with that leadership group. I don't see them having it in them to out-will Patrice and company down 0-2. This is like an elimination game for them.

long rest or at least a bit of rest never hurts when healing some bumps and bruises but you`ll recall the Cup run was hardly a sweep fest, boys went the distance in 3 of the 4 series unless I am mistaken?

Reactions: Strafer and lopey

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think the Bolts will do little to change their approach offensively, where it`s obvious an adjustment is needed is in their own end. If anything, on 3 separate occasions I could see some of their players releasing from their zone as they anticipated their D was going to get the puck out and they didn`t, leaving the B`s with possession and the Bolts players try to get back into the play, I suspect Cooper worked on that yesterday

I think their play in the offensive zone was fine, Tuukka made some great saves
You’re probably right.

Tampa’s problems weren’t in the Offensive zone-they were defensive zone issues.

I think Cassidy needs to work on our defensive zone breakouts but one aspect of his defensive plan worked-we mostly kept Tampa to the perimeter and didn’t give them too many good chances. Tuukka also was on and did his part to stop most of the good chances.

We will need fully focused Tuukka and better execution in our D zone tonight. Tampa is likely to push very hard-they understand the odds of winning the series is much lower if they lose tonight.

I said before my goal was for them to take one of the two, but I’m greedy enough that I want both games.

Reactions: Bergyesque

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
long rest or at least a bit of rest never hurts when healing some bumps and bruises but you`ll recall the Cup run was hardly a sweep fest, boys went the distance in 3 of the 4 series unless I am mistaken?
Nope, you’re not mistaken, only round 2 was a sweep.
In 2013 we only had 1 seven game series and it was first round.

Rest is good but I’ll take a series win however they come.

Last edited:
Reactions: HustleB

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You’re probably right.

Tampa’s problems weren’t in the Offensive zone-they were defensive zone issues.

I think Cassidy needs to work on our defensive zone breakouts but one aspect of his defensive plan worked-we mostly kept Tampa to the perimeter and didn’t give them too many good chances. Tuukka also was on and did his part to stop most of the good chances.

We will need fully focused Tuukka and better execution in our D zone tonight. Tampa is likely to push very hard-they understand the odds of winning the series is much lower if they lose tonight.

I said before my goal was for them to take one of the two, but I’m greedy enough that I want both games.

About the only issue the Bolts have and I`m not sure it`s an issue but something they may want to change is they seem intent or insistent upon making that extra pass so often rather than taking a shot that`s there but other than that, they are exceptionally dangerous in the O zone.

Biggest problem they have on the back end, and it isn`t or can`t change is mobility, Hedman is a beast, Stralman can move but Girardi is slow, McD is hardly someone I would call fleet of foot and for at least 1 game, the B`s exposed them, McD and Stralman were a combined -7.......um, not good. The thought heading in was Cooper was likely to use the Point line vs Bergy....um, not good so now Cooper has to adjust, we`ll see what he does

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Nope only round 2 was a sweep.

7 vs Habs, swept the Flyers, 7 vs Bolts, then 7 vs Nucks.....lot`s of hockey played

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

You're not mistaken, but subtract the years since 2011 from Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, (and same logic for Backes, Nash) etc... and it's a whole other physical ball game now. For the kids the issue is they've never played this much hockey. For the olds it's just a recovery nightmare since they play so hard at both ends. Honestly Chara is a wonder going this deep at this age with these minutes.

So yeah, fingers really crossed for some recovery. Because every team left now looks lethal. Going to be such a great round league-wide.

Reactions: TCL40

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You're not mistaken, but subtract the years from Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Backes, Nash etc... and it's a whole other physical ball game now. For the kids the issue is they've never played that much hockey. For the olds it's just a recovery nightmare. Honestly Chara is a wonder going this deep at this age with these minutes.

I hear ya, we`ll see, so far, all look pretty good. Don`t get me wrong, I`d take a rest 8 days a week. Rather that rest be 2-3 days rather than the rest we saw the Bolts have, I don`t like long layoffs between series.

I don`t necessarily think the long layoff hurt the Bolts in game 1, what I think is they had such a creampuff series vs the Devils, faced little adversity and appeared to not be remotely close to being prepared properly when it came to how to defend the B`s and that`s on Cooper and his staff

Reactions: sooshii

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
The longer it takes for Tampa to try and slow down our 1st line, the better it is for us. Would love to see them score early. Gonna have to weather the storm for the first 5-10 minutes at least.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The longer it takes for Tampa to try and slow down our 1st line, the better it is for us. Would love to see them score early. Gonna have to weather the storm for the first 5-10 minutes at least.

they`ll already have to make an adjustment for game 2, Point line out there as Cooper`s solution to shutting them down.....how`d that work:naughty:

Reactions: Dellstrom

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
About the only issue the Bolts have and I`m not sure it`s an issue but something they may want to change is they seem intent or insistent upon making that extra pass so often rather than taking a shot that`s there but other than that, they are exceptionally dangerous in the O zone.

Biggest problem they have on the back end, and it isn`t or can`t change is mobility, Hedman is a beast, Stralman can move but Girardi is slow, McD is hardly someone I would call fleet of foot and for at least 1 game, the B`s exposed them, McD and Stralman were a combined -7.......um, not good. The thought heading in was Cooper was likely to use the Point line vs Bergy....um, not good so now Cooper has to adjust, we`ll see what he does
Good point about the D.

One difference between Leafs and Tampa is the Leafs D outside of Polak are fast. I think Tampa’s D have better defensive skills though.

Cooper can’t fix the speed but he can adjust the D.

I think the biggest challenge to Tampa is shutting down Bergy-the Bruins seem to have the right defense already to Tampa, they just have to execute it well.

Berge56

Oct 23, 2014
Game 1 went how I thought it would. Game 2 might be a different story, but I still feel optimistic about the outcome. Let go boys, play your game, hit them every chance you have and have fun out there!

Reactions: Strafer

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Nope only round 2 was a sweep.

Huh-wha? Every series went 7 except round 2 vs the Flyers, which was a sweep. Only team to ever win the Cup playing three game 7's.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Savvy should be waving the flag come games 3 or 4......get the TD even more pumped up
Be nice to see-he still loves the Bruins and fans still love him.

It makes me sad that his career was ended so cheaply but would love to see him waving the flag.

Reactions: Ladyfan and HustleB

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good point about the D.

One difference between Leafs and Tampa is the Leafs D outside of Polak are fast. I think Tampa’s D have better defensive skills though.

Cooper can’t fix the speed but he can adjust the D.

I think the biggest challenge to Tampa is shutting down Bergy-the Bruins seem to have the right defense already to Tampa, they just have to execute it well.

He can adjust for sure. First thing he`ll need to do is ask his forward to drop down into the zone a bit lower, if one of Marchand or Pasta are in a one on one isolation in the O zone, other than Hedman they don`t have a D-man with the mobility to keep up so they`ll need help. Their team loves to push the puck and too often they had forwards waaaaaaaaaay too high at the blueline waiting for that quick transition that didn`t happen often. They also rely on their Vezina nominated goalie to make stops, he didn`t

They`ll be better for sure, hope the B`s are too, despite that score, we have seen the B`s play better. They had a nice roadie, weather the storm, convert on chances but I`d like to see them with some more offensive zone time outside of being on the PP

Reactions: sooshii and HustleB

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Huh-wha? Every series went 7 except round 2 vs the Flyers, which was a sweep. Only team to ever win the Cup playing three game 7's.
That’s what I said.

I think you misunderstood my nope-which was meant as “nope you’re not wrong.” But I said “only round 2 was a sweep.”

So I shall edit for clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad