Post-Game Talk: ECSF: Game 1, Playing with house money, Big Game Bob shuts the door

Do you believe?

• Yes

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Goldie is a good play by play man when he doesn't veer into full blown homerism. He does make it a point to try to pronounce things correctly, which always makes it jarring when I watch national broadcasts with more prestigious (and better paid) announcers who can't even bother to pronounce "Lomberg" correctly.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Still wasn’t worse than CBC… Had to switch from ESPN for the third… Man, I know it’s Canada, but come on !

Only shitting about their team that LOST, just like the Bruins, and not giving our WINNING team a lot of credit…

It’s okay for me. Keep it coming. :P
It’s nauseating. Always is. Craig Simpson nearly creamed himself when Knies scored. 3-2 Florida and they spend the entire 2nd intermission ball washing the leafs. Then after the game it’s all about what the leafs have to better next game. What they don’t seem to understand is that the entire country isn’t solely composed of leafs fans, in fact most aren’t, yet they treat the national telecast as though it were a local broadcast. Nauseating.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
It’s nauseating. Always is. Craig Simpson nearly creamed himself when Knies scored. 3-2 Florida and they spend the entire 2nd intermission ball washing the leafs. Then after the game it’s all about what the leafs have to better next game. What they don’t seem to understand is that the entire country isn’t solely composed of leafs fans, in fact most aren’t, yet they treat the national telecast as though it were a local broadcast. Nauseating.

It's so weird that they think every Canadian will get behind the last remaining Canadian team. As if there are not bitter rivalries that exist! I doubt many Flames fans are cheering for the Oilers. But if it's Oilers vs. Florida in the final, it will be a whole lot of let's go Edmonton you're representing Canada, and you've got the whole country behind you!

Reactions: BTO

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
It's so weird that they think every Canadian will get behind the last remaining Canadian team. As if there are not bitter rivalries that exist! I doubt many Flames fans are cheering for the Oilers. But if it's Oilers vs. Florida in the final, it will be a whole lot of let's go Edmonton you're representing Canada, and you've got the whole country behind you!

I suppose I don't blame them. Hockey is still a fundamentally Canadian sport. Per capita, they still produce the best players in the world, it's still a much more ingrained part of their culture than it is anyone else's.

Ultimately I do think there's a bit of an inferiority complex at the psychological level, maybe. Baseball is an American game, and for many decades it was pretty much the core of US culture. I love baseball, I'm mad about a lot of the changes the MLB is going through with now in order to 'modernize' the game. But was I upset to see Japan win the WBC again? No, not in the slightest.

I think it's f***ing awesome that baseball is popular in Japan, Korea, and other places that you'd never imagine it would have taken root and become popular. But the US also runs the world, so I guess it's different.

Really, I don't effing know.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Great game last night! I ended up watching with my in-laws last night, mostly all Toronto fans, some Boston fans. I was in my element last night :D
Obviously everyone here knows my love for Bob, and how I think he's a good goalie. I've taken a lot of heat for that over the last, let me check... 4 years now. It makes me so happy to see him being successful, and most importantly, everyone realizing how good he can be and how people are on his side.​
But, everyone knows Bob played good. My underrated player of the game last night was Marc Staal. Man oh man, did he play a good defensive game?! He blocked shots, he made sure to get the puck out, he threw big hits. I believe even on the fourth goal he was in front of the net screening the opposition's goalie!​
Maurice said all year that you will see come playoffs his value, now we are.​

I was actually texting with my friend I should do this exact same thing! Except I was under the influence and said I would whip it out as well :laugh:

myleafs

May 25, 2021
How about this. That was a whole lot of word salad you just typed.

As much as I like Tkachuk, he isn't generational.
He certainly wasnt before the season started though I have always liked his game but this year and into the playoffs he is taking it to another level and if he keeps it up for a few more years he will most def be in the conversation. His leadership has been on another level.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC

I don’t get this. I’m from Canada and couldn’t care less if a canadien team win the cup or not. This is not the Olympics or world championship.

If I were a Montreal or Calgary fan, why should I care about Edmonton or Toronto?

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
Goldie is a good play by play man when he doesn't veer into full blown homerism. He does make it a point to try to pronounce things correctly, which always makes it jarring when I watch national broadcasts with more prestigious (and better paid) announcers who can't even bother to pronounce "Lomberg" correctly.
Speaking of Lomberg what’s his status ?

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
We keep talking about this as a transition year, but if we somehow knock off Toronto the path to the Cup Finals is there and I can't help but start to wonder about things.... I don't see Carolina or New Jersey (especially) being as big of a challenge as Boston / Toronto.

One game at a time...
Curious why you think especially not NJ? I feel like I keep seeing this everywhere about them but ever since schmid came along, idk how they’re not the favorites in the East, at least until he looks mortal. They beat the rangers, came back from an 0-2 deficit going 4-1 and shut them out in game 7. Guys given up 7 goals in 5 games and posted two shutouts. That’s why I’m really intrigued to see how they fare against Carolina. We’ve seen what happens when hot goalies come out of nowhere (ward, Thomas, binnington)

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I would be okay with it.

My worst knightmare...

We've played them BAD since they came in the league.

And they could fulfill our destiny of 96 (expansion team winning), and put the ultimate nail in the coffin to our dreams of a Cup while cursing this team forever...

No, I'd rather beat the best player in the world, the all-in stupid Knights, or the Bore of Stars (would love that DeBoer vs Maurice storyline)...

But please, not the sophomore Kraken ! :(

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Brad Marchand on the Panthers

View attachment 702319

A lot of this "not a true 8th seed" is getting thrown out there.

Lol have you not seen our roster actually?

Having said that he's actually bang on. Bob was complete ass till December
He is absolutely right. Florida is not a typical 8th seed team and probably never was in this season.

Let me say it: they just got goalied too much in regular season. They deserved a bit better result than 92 points and 8th seed. And, as Jack Han said before the playoffs, they are a bad matchup for the Bruins. That said, Cats were still huge underdogs with Marc Staal as #4...

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I don’t get this. I’m from Canada and couldn’t care less if a canadien team win the cup or not. This is not the Olympics or world championship.

If I were a Montreal or Calgary fan, why should I care about Edmonton or Toronto?

I think its more for the casual fans. Yeah most actual hockey fans don't care who's in the final, but many casual hockey fans (aka the majority of Canadian hockey fans...) care if its a Canadian team. Doesn't make a lot of sense because the players are from all over, but I think that's what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad