Post-Game Talk: ECSF (Florida leads 2-0): Playoff Bob Arrives, LFG!

Now do you believe??

• Yes

Votes: 39 73.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
we gotta be stronger in front of Bob on Sunday. he’s been incredible but we can’t expect him to be god mode every game. we gotta be ready to help him out

I agree. We were hanging by a thread in game 2 and he bailed us out multiple times. Bob has been sensational but we cannot expect him to continue at this level the entire series.

One thing I really love about Maurice's system right now is he has the guys playing extremely physical along the boards and forcing turnovers. Look at the Lundell goal last night as exhibit A. That was textbook forechecking, force a turnover, beautiful pass by Reinhart and into the net. We play a relentless cycle game that tires out the opposition and forces them to outwork us.

The thing is, the Leafs are an entitled group of brats who think they can win championships based on skill alone. I don't think they can outwork our team over the course of a 7 game series.

Look at Matthews and Marner on Forsling's goal. They turn the puck over unforced at the blueline and it's in the back of their net. They're low IQ hockey players in their own end. Pressure them even a little bit and they'll gift us chances. They're easily rattled and prone to mental lapses.

I want more puck possession in game 3. Samsonov looks like he's nursing something and hasn't been very good. We can end this series early if we win the next one - it'll destroy Toronto's morale.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

This take is incorrect.
He does not have an issue with the blocker side.He did 4 years ago, but he got that fixed after that season.
It looks like it might be exposed in that area. He shaves the stick down and holds his stick a lower. , so there may appear to be a window in there. I wonder if that's what Bob wants you to think?
Now fans of the team will know he gives up goals in one area more than others, but I don't want to mention to the universe letting all these "experts" think what they want to think.

Reactions: Boothinator

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Say what you will about Maurice, but his messaging is so spot on right now. Telling the guys that they won't be perfect, just battle hard. Keeping them grounded even with a 2-0 lead in the series, stressing how close things can be and all they've guaranteed right now is that there will be a game 6.

If teams figure out our forecheck or the PK rears its ugly head again, who knows if he can make the right adjustments, but he's doing a good job with keeping these guys focused on the right things.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

i read that. thought it was obnoxious. and wrong.

if you believe that you can judge a goalie without context, you might be inclined to make a statement like that.

i don't buy that. all evidence indicates bob is an incredibly hard worker, he's very fit and solid technically. he's won two vezinas. guys like bob don't vacillate between great and terrible.

he's definitely playing at a very high level right now but the poor numbers earlier this year and in prior years say more about the defense/structure in front of him. weekes talked about bob back in february, i believe and speculated that his numbers were getting better because of a) better defense and b) new pads (in that order).

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
Look at Matthews and Marner on Forsling's goal. They turn the puck over unforced at the blueline and it's in the back of their net. They're low IQ hockey players in their own end. Pressure them even a little bit and they'll gift us chances. They're easily rattled and prone to mental lapses.
Not necessarily true. I think they don't want to do what is necessary to clear their lines. I've seen guys like Tkchuck take a massive hit and crowds go wild because of that hit. But the thing is, he knows it's coming AND he makes the necessary play. Once or twice it has even resulted in a Panthers chance. Matthews and Marner IQ is fine...they just aren't willing to take the hit so they 1) give the puck to someone else to make the play and 2) the other guy rather chip it past then do it properly and take the hit in the process. Panthers didn't need to commit to a hit, they just steal the puck from a weak play and creates a glorious chance. Btw, that was a beautiful goal too, the crisp passing, the understanding between the players *chef's kiss*...same with Reinhart to Lundell, the hockey IQ there is very high. :nod:

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Bob's an inconsistent goaltender and people in the know have said the org. has been frustrated because they just don't know what causes his ups and downs, like there's no rhyme or reason.

Really it doesn't matter now because he's on fire and he does have the ability to just win you games. Feels to me like he plays better in high pressure situations and when he's confident. If you look at his body language when he's playing well and not, it's night and day. Like that blocker save yesterday when he dove out of the net? that was crazy and unorthodox, but who cares.

Enjoy the ride while it lasts and hope he's feeling it for the next month. Got some rest at the end of the season so that may be huge down the stretch.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Well the Panthers played a little less energized last night. But gritted out a win. That's what you have to do at times in the playoffs. Even if you're not playing you best, you have to get the W. I think that the way Toronto plays kind of lulls the Panthers to sleep a little bit. And can take them out of their game for a little while.
That's the interesting thing about the Bruins, they play good defense and a overall game. But they play at a high pace, more like the game the Panthers are more comfortable with.
I think the Panthers have focus on creating their own energy. I don't think they will get that from the other team in this series. But being at home might help that out.
But outside of that, amazingly this is our second deepest playoff run. Just trying to enjoy the ride.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
we gotta be stronger in front of Bob on Sunday. he’s been incredible but we can’t expect him to be god mode every game. we gotta be ready to help him out
The team was exhausted last night. They were on their last legs. Been on the road since Saturday and have been playing every other day since game 5.

And the Boston series was REALLY heavy both sides. I expect them to be much better on Sunday, and I expect their forecheck to be even harder than games 1 and 2.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

This take is incorrect.
He does not have an issue with the blocker side.He did 4 years ago, but he got that fixed after that season.
It looks like it might be exposed in that area. He shaves the stick down and holds his stick a lower. , so there may appear to be a window in there. I wonder if that's what Bob wants you to think?
Now fans of the team will know he gives up goals in one area more than others, but I don't want to mention to the universe letting all these "experts" think what they want to think.

I don’t want to reveal the truth either, that Bob’s weakness is the blocker side. If I were Tronno, I’d keep shooting blocker, after a hundred shots, eventually one trickles in.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
A few things I want to mention:

-Sergei Bobrovsky is playing by far his best hockey as a Panther. He, at times, carried our team last night and stood on his head during multiple sequences of play in which the Leafs were peppering him with shots and high danger chances. For whatever reason, Bob seems to rise to the occasion against elite teams in the playoffs. I can't explain it. When he is feeling good and pucks are hitting him, he's one of the best goaltenders in the world.

-Barkov has awoken. He's playing much better. Verhaeghe-Barkov-Duclair seems to actually be a formidable first line now. I think Duke has gotten better and better each game since getting benched.

-Paul Maurice has these guys playing a rough and tough heavy forechecking game that is picture perfect for post season hockey. I don't want to hear it about this guy anymore. He was the right choice for the head coaching job and is proving it right now.

-We are witnessing a magical run. That's all I can say at this point. Enjoy every second that you can. The team, after barely making it, is hot at exactly the right time. We've just won 5 straight playoff games against the best this league has to offer. Five f***ing straight. If we grab the next one, we'll have our collective feet firmly planted on the necks of these Maple Leaf losers. Think about that for a second. We barely made the f***ing playoffs! Hockey is the most unpredictable sport in the world...

-We were outplayed last night but walked away with the win. That is absolutely huge for our confidence and for our chances in this series. With a couple nights to rest up, I'm expecting the team to come back stronger at home. You know the team is riding an incredible wave of momentum when they win games they probably shouldn't have.

-Toronto is both nervous and frustrated. You can tell by their body language and post-game interviews. Bobrovsky is in their heads. They're getting roughed up physically by guys like Tkachuk, Cousins, Bennett and Gudas. They're struggling to put the puck in the net and doubt has totally seeped into their game.

I think what we're seeing is the importance of team chemistry, constructing a roster than can win in the playoffs, goaltending and coaching. Our roster has been virtually untouched from day one of the season. Zito allowed these guys to sink or swim and believed in this group even when it looked like we were going to miss. The team is rewarding him (and us) now.

After each win, my mind starts to wonder about what we might actually be witnessing before our eyes and where this can end up when it's all said and done...

But, one game at a time...
Great commentary, exactly where my thoughts were, I will add, we are not supposed to be here and even when we were down 2-0 on the first, I had no anxiety, my girl and I were like, "they will claw back" because they have this innate resiliency, they refuse to loose, and yes, when PoMo changed the way we played, I was not on-board because they appeared to be discombobulated, but by the time Lyon came into the picture, all of the pieces start it to fall into place, all of the sudden they were unbeteable and most of all resilient.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
I don’t want to reveal the truth either, that Bob’s weakness is the blocker side. If I were Tronno, I’d keep shooting blocker, after a hundred shots, eventually one trickles in.
Torontos scouting gotta be bad if they use sports net. Just like asking Lalonde on Vasi.

They will fail.

Reactions: Prominence Problem

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
The team was exhausted last night. They were on their last legs. Been on the road since Saturday and have been playing every other day since game 5.

And the Boston series was REALLY heavy both sides. I expect them to be much better on Sunday, and I expect their forecheck to be even harder than games 1 and 2.

Seth Reinhart had some legs yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad