Post-Game Talk: ECSF (Florida leads 2-0): Playoff Bob Arrives, LFG!

Now do you believe??

• Yes

Votes: 39 73.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
Barkov has finally started playing a bit more like the old Barkov. Still, even when he wasn’t as good as last two games, he was still good. What this has contributed is that the first line is able to hold the opposition line down really well and they’re contributing almost like a first line should. So they’re no liability at all. Who else bu Barkov would do well with Duke? No one on this team.

So the freedom this gives the coach is to put the second and third lines together just like we’ve seen. So indirectly - whether people want to admit it or not - Barkov being able to carry the first line at least adequately, is helping the other two lines be more productive, by not needing to mess up line chemistry and leave holes.
I think the light went on for Barkov we will see further improvement from here.

Everything in sports that’s successful is momentum we must not look back and play every minute like it’s the last. Keep our heads in the mud.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Barkov has finally started playing a bit more like the old Barkov. Still, even when he wasn’t as good as last two games, he was still good. What this has contributed is that the first line is able to hold the opposition line down really well and they’re contributing almost like a first line should. So they’re no liability at all. Who else bu Barkov would do well with Duke? No one on this team.

So the freedom this gives the coach is to put the second and third lines together just like we’ve seen. So indirectly - whether people want to admit it or not - Barkov being able to carry the first line at least adequately, is helping the other two lines be more productive, by not needing to mess up line chemistry and leave holes.
Barkov's line actually outperformed Bennett's line yesterday (for a change).

You could probably attribute that to fatigue, but we survived a "bad" game from that line.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
A few things I want to mention:

-Sergei Bobrovsky is playing by far his best hockey as a Panther. He, at times, carried our team last night and stood on his head during multiple sequences of play in which the Leafs were peppering him with shots and high danger chances. For whatever reason, Bob seems to rise to the occasion against elite teams in the playoffs. I can't explain it. When he is feeling good and pucks are hitting him, he's one of the best goaltenders in the world.

-Barkov has awoken. He's playing much better. Verhaeghe-Barkov-Duclair seems to actually be a formidable first line now. I think Duke has gotten better and better each game since getting benched.

-Paul Maurice has these guys playing a rough and tough heavy forechecking game that is picture perfect for post season hockey. I don't want to hear it about this guy anymore. He was the right choice for the head coaching job and is proving it right now.

-We are witnessing a magical run. That's all I can say at this point. Enjoy every second that you can. The team, after barely making it, is hot at exactly the right time. We've just won 5 straight playoff games against the best this league has to offer. Five f***ing straight. If we grab the next one, we'll have our collective feet firmly planted on the necks of these Maple Leaf losers. Think about that for a second. We barely made the f***ing playoffs! Hockey is the most unpredictable sport in the world...

-We were outplayed last night but walked away with the win. That is absolutely huge for our confidence and for our chances in this series. With a couple nights to rest up, I'm expecting the team to come back stronger at home. You know the team is riding an incredible wave of momentum when they win games they probably shouldn't have.

-Toronto is both nervous and frustrated. You can tell by their body language and post-game interviews. Bobrovsky is in their heads. They're getting roughed up physically by guys like Tkachuk, Cousins, Bennett and Gudas. They're struggling to put the puck in the net and doubt has totally seeped into their game.

I think what we're seeing is the importance of team chemistry, constructing a roster than can win in the playoffs, goaltending and coaching. Our roster has been virtually untouched from day one of the season. Zito allowed these guys to sink or swim and believed in this group even when it looked like we were going to miss. The team is rewarding him (and us) now.

After each win, my mind starts to wonder about what we might actually be witnessing before our eyes and where this can end up when it's all said and done...

But, one game at a time...

Last edited:

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Coaches look good when they’re goaltender is the best player

and what about the other 8 games this postseason (win or lose)?

or all the regular season games?

i felt the same way listening to deboer's pressers back in the day, though he didn't have as much of a sense of humor about his plight back then.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
No suspension for Bennett like the Laugh fans were crying for.

Toronto is an embarrassing hockey market. There, I said it. Their franchise is pathetic and underachieving and yet they walk around with so much bravado and hubris when they've accomplished nothing of note in the modern era except one series win for the first time since the George W. Bush administration. Congratulations.

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
No suspension for Bennett like the Laugh fans were crying for.

Toronto is an embarrassing hockey market. There, I said it. Their franchise is pathetic and underachieving and yet they walk around with so much bravado and hubris when they've accomplished nothing of note in the modern era except one series win for the first time since the George W. Bush administration. Congratulations.
Knies has to put his big boy pants on. This isn’t the more restrictive NCAA. Suck it up butter cup. While watching the game I thought the leaves player should have gotten a penalty when I first saw the play.

Reactions: pantherbot

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Despite winning the first two games of the round, I'd like to see the Panthers come out with some desperation at home.
Finishing this series off in a sweep would be so beneficial for this team. The two two Daybreak the Panthers would receive back home is nice, but imagine sweeping the series, not have to go back to toronto, and getting some ample well deserved rest for the team?
We know Bob can start about 10 games in a row at high level. After that though, it's almost like he starts to break down and have mental mistakes creep into his game.

This upcoming rest will help, but a well deserved rest for the next round would be ideal.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
So....not to freak anyone out, but The Athletic's latest cup odds has us in first place at 19%...the jinx is in. I hate this btw, it doesn't feel right.

1683309962192.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad