Series Discussion: ECSF: Capitals vs Penguins (Pens up 3-1) (Pens Fans Read Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Remember in that late game against Boston when Miller had slew footed Wilson and Beagle went in for some pay back but Miller fell and Beagle hit him anyway? B fans wanted Beagle suspended.

There Ov is on his hands and knees and Kadri runs him anyway. Right in front of the ref. Havent heard a peep about that

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Jon Cooper does it frequently in Tampa.

I'd be more comfortable rolling 7D if they had done it a handful of times in the regular season. I even suggested it back then.

Thanks. I am curious how he rolled his lines and pairs. I notice he missed the playoffs ;)

Long time coaches of course are used to rolling unbalanced lines from fights, misconducts etc.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I like the idea of 7d but I don't want Alzner playing against a team as fast as the Pens. He's going to get worked.

You could just have Alzner handle Orlov's PK assignments and you make Alzner and Orpik share their ES minutes. Orpik and Alzner with just 10 min of ice time each can handle anybody's speed, they'd have more energy than the guys they're facing.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You never want to see anyone hurt, unless its Claude Lemieux... haha

Brother I was at the USAir Arena 23 years ago Thursday to see the number 2 seeded Pittsburgh Penguins fall to the Washington Capitals......

23 years ago. Wow, I am an old man. This series starts on the anniversary of this same date. I'm not feeling a win for us this year. Just doesn't feel right.

Who knows though? It'll be fun for sure. Not many hateable players on either squad anymore. Maybe Kunitz for us and Wilson for you? That's about it.

Don't sell yourself short.

Crosby, Hornqvist, Letang (injured), Cole, and Malkin are all hateable. And will be hated during the series. Rust, Sheary, Bonino won't be far behind.

I'm sure the list of Caps won't be short either, in the Pens board (Ovechkin, Williams, Oshie, Orpik, Alzner, Orlov, Hotlby, etc etc).

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Interesting stat, caps and pens have played 13 games in the post season and in those 13 games ovie and Crosby have the following stats:

Crosby:
Goals : 8
Assists : 7
+/- : +1
TOI: 21:40

Ovie:
Goals : 10
Assists : 11
+/- : +7
TOI : 23:18

Hopefully the trend can continue

Edit: the trend of ovie having more points, not the trend of Crosby being over a PPG

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Don't sell yourself short.

Crosby, Hornqvist, Letang (injured), Cole, and Malkin are all hateable. And will be hated during the series. Rust, Sheary, Bonino won't be far behind.

I'm sure the list of Caps won't be short either, in the Pens board (Ovechkin, Williams, Oshie, Orpik, Alzner, Orlov, Hotlby, etc etc).
Hornqvist is going to be the most hated penguin by series end most likely

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Best game we've played against them IMO, it has everything. Strong start with an early goal just 35 seconds in by the top line up against their top line. Then, 2-0 on the PP in the 2nd period. Kuznetsov has a dominant shift against Malkin and sets up Williams on the twister pass.

Malkin struck halfway through the 3rd on the PP but Backstrom responded 5 minutes later. Hornqvist got a late goal with only 2 minutes left, but they were still 2 goals behind us.

To top it off, Eller's EN goal off Letang's head gets me every time :laugh:

Worst game we've played against them was the 8-7 nonsense.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Good signs from the end of the leafs series: hotlby getting his groove and carlson becoming himself. imho those are huge. we can't relay 25-30 minutes on niskanen pairing, especially considering the pens have 2 generational talents surrounded by really good players. carlson must come up huge.

trotz will match crosby against ovie. maybe kuzy against malkin? i think if he does that kuzy's line can surprise the pens on how good they are. then i believe our 3rd line > theirs, burakovsky was good last series, can break out in this.

anyway need to play focused and we are into another exciting series, yeah!!!

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
What happened with Alzner? Just simply got worse or did injuries derail his career so far like what's happening with Maatta?

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
What happened with Alzner? Just simply got worse or did injuries derail his career so far like what's happening with Maatta?

He's been a steady/slow defensive d-man his whole career and we envisioned him really becoming a shutdown guy. For some reason though his upward trajectory really kinda stopped though and he hasn't been very good this past year, exposed a LOT by faster players as well.

Trotz has had some really terrible pairings though on defense though that didn't help him one bit so that could be a part of it, he's been injured the past few games though

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
NBC Sports Group will have exclusive coverage of the Conference semifinals.
https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/second-round-schedule-and-broadcast-information/c-289055278

Does this mean we have to listen to Pierre again?:help:

I feel there will again be a biased account of the game. We all know how Pierre favours the Penguins over all others.

Can the NHL do something to improve the neutrality of the game reporting by NBC? It's such a turn off listening to one sided accounts of the game.

I hope to not feel gypped. I've paid me money now give me a proper coverage of the game.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I'd go 7D for sure if any D are limping.

If Barry goes 7D because it just gets his best players into the game, is he going to play Schmidt at forward or D, or both?

I cannot recall a coach rolling 7D all at D before. Maybe Wilson? I would prefer him at F, at least to start.

FWIW, the Pens did it for about 8 games back in the 2009 Cup run putting in Phillippe Boucher to play limited minutes, largely on the PP and double-shift Sid/Geno with the 4th line wingers throughout the game.

Seems like it could be something that would work for the Caps given their personnel and just sit Connolly who doesn't seem to be playing much/doing a ton so far.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Alzner shredded his groin in the playoffs last season and had surgery to repair that.
Often times it takes a good year for a player to get his strength and movement back after a surgery.

I am not sure how derailed he is either.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Remember in that late game against Boston when Miller had slew footed Wilson and Beagle went in for some pay back but Miller fell and Beagle hit him anyway? B fans wanted Beagle suspended.

There Ov is on his hands and knees and Kadri runs him anyway. Right in front of the ref. Havent heard a peep about that

Yeah but didn't Miller go head first into the boards?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/second-round-schedule-and-broadcast-information/c-289055278

Does this mean we have to listen to Pierre again?:help:

I feel there will again be a biased account of the game. We all know how Pierre favours the Penguins over all others.

Can the NHL do something to improve the neutrality of the game reporting by NBC? It's such a turn off listening to one sided accounts of the game.

I hope to not feel gypped. I've paid me money now give me a proper coverage of the game.

I hate Pierre. Beyond being massively biased, and a complete *******, he is a just a stupid person. But he is on TV in a Stephen A Smith/troll capacity, and unfortunately people are into that.

I was watching the Ottawa series the other day when the game went to overtime. Pierre notices an incident that he clearly thought should have been interference and says "If they don't call this one then they have to call it that way for both teams, and if they do that then it's fine." It's the dumbest rationale in all of professional sports: Refs can change the rules at any time, and it's okay so long as there is a make-up non-call or hypothetically could be a make-up non-call given the opportunity. So frigging stupid. How do you write that into the rule book anyway?

Last edited:

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I hate Pierre. Beyond being massively biased, and a complete *******, he is a just a stupid person.

I was watching the Ottawa series the other day when the game went to overtime. Pierre notices an incident that he clearly thought should have been interference and says "If they don't call this one then they have to call it that way for both teams, and if they do that then it's fine." It's the dumbest rationale in all of professional sports: Refs can change the rules at any time, and it's okay so long as there is a make-up non-call or hypothetically could be a make-up non-call given the opportunity. So frigging stupid. How do you write that into the rule book anyway?

You just conveniently place the rule book gently into the trash whenever you feel like it. The NHL has gotten quite good at it's selective use of the rules over the years. At this point, it's like one of those "unwritten" rules of hockey that doesn't need to be in writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad