Series Discussion: ECSF: Capitals vs Penguins (Pens up 3-1) (Pens Fans Read Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The NBC crew is going to give me hives before this series is over.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
three 1.30am games and game 2 even @ 2am. (every minutes counts pas midnight)
When do I sleep? :laugh:

I watch the game when I wake up these days, spoiler free :popcorn:
I find staying up till like 4am+ to watch the game kinda ruins your next day

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
I'm terrified of Malkin and Kessel.

We'll need vintage Ovie. I don't see us getting through without a legit superstar performance.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
I'm terrified of Malkin and Kessel.

We'll need vintage Ovie. I don't see us getting through without a legit superstar performance.

i think he was good last time he played against he pens in the playoffs, didnt help.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
i think he was good last time he played against he pens in the playoffs, didnt help.

Ovie was very good and definitely outperformed Malkin and his sidekick.

However, the Pens' 3rd and 4th lines made the difference.

In this series, Ovie will have to be very good again, the Caps will have to shut down Malkin and his sidekick and contain/outperform the Pens' 3rd and 4th lines.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
On paper we seem evenly matched. Pens likely have an edge up front, we likely have an edge on the backend. This series may come down to coaching; the systems employed, and the counter / adjustments.

I would like to think Barry has an advantage through his superior experience, but that is likely offset by Pitt knowing what it takes to win a cup. Plan on 7 games, 7 1 goal games, and 7 OTs.

Ok my son put a fly swatter in his mouth. You can guess which end. Gotta go.

Jun 15, 2007
If Ovechkin can't get up to play the Pens, he's done as an elite player.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Are we thinking Ov or anyone else wont be up for this series?

We just got away with not showing up to start against TML. This team has a disturbing habit of that.

I think this team can beat the pens as badly as sweeping them, getting swept by them or anything in between because of the lack of give a hoot they display.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We just got away with not showing up to start against TML. This team has a disturbing habit of that.

I think players take on the personality the persona of their coach. I realized from watching Bruce. He falls apart late in a series, as do his players.

The players knew Barry wasn't going all out to win game 1. He didn't start trying to shutdown Austin their stud until game 4, down 2-1.

Why should the players go all out if coach isn't. Just a theory.

Barry needs to come out firing in game 1. I am still pissed he waited until down 3-1 a year ago before trying his first visible adjustments. No excuses this year.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
They need that D and goaltending to revert back to regular season form.

...and the bottom 6 needs to step it up.

Connolly should ride pine. No idea why they're giving a sweater to a guy who plays 5 minutes a game and looks awful during.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I'd go 7D for sure if any D are limping.

If Barry goes 7D because it just gets his best players into the game, is he going to play Schmidt at forward or D, or both?

I cannot recall a coach rolling 7D all at D before. Maybe Wilson? I would prefer him at F, at least to start.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'd go 7D for sure if any D are limping.

If Barry goes 7D because it just gets his best players into the game, is he going to play Schmidt at forward or D, or both?

I cannot recall a coach rolling 7D all at D before. Maybe Wilson? I would prefer him at F, at least to start.

Jon Cooper does it frequently in Tampa.

I'd be more comfortable rolling 7D if they had done it a handful of times in the regular season. I even suggested it back then.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Huh? They pretty much dominated the Jackets for 90% of the series making a likely Vezina winner look like an AHL reject. Meanwhile, it took us FIVE overtime games to beat the Leafs.
Incorrect, they were outshot/chanced for much of the series. The deciding factor for them boiled down to Bobrovsky played HORRIBLY and the Jackets had no finish capability whatsoever. Make no mistake, neither the Caps or the pens played anywhere near as well as they both can play in the first round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad