Pre-Game Talk: ECSF/ADF GAME 4 7:41 PM - B's look to even the series at 2 apiece - NBCSN, CBC, SN(4K), TVAS, 98.5

Which team wins Game 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-5-2_1-3-4.png

upload_2019-5-2_1-8-11.png

The Columbus Blue Jackets pushed their chips to the center of the table prior to the NHL trade deadline, acquiring Matt Duchene among others in their bid to advance past the first round for the first time in franchise history.

Duchene has provided a substantial payoff for the Blue Jackets, who look to push the Boston Bruins to the brink of elimination on Thursday when they play Game 4 of their Eastern Conference second-round series in Columbus, Ohio.

"It's a good marriage for us," Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella said of Duchene, who followed up his goal in double overtime of a 3-2 win on Saturday with his franchise-best fifth postseason tally three nights later in a 2-1 victory in Game 3.

Duchene's goal on Tuesday came on the power play for Columbus, which has scored with the man advantage in six of its seven games and is 8-for-21 in the playoffs.

The Blue Jackets, who hold a 2-1 series lead, have won 13 their last 15 games overall, sweeping Presidents' Trophy-winning Tampa Bay while putting a 107-point Boston team on its heels.

"I'm not surprised. This is definitely what we're capable of," said the 28-year-old Duchene, who also has four assists on the playoffs.

The Bruins believe they are capable of more on the power play, as they followed up their 7-for-16 performance against Toronto in the first round by converting just one of their 10 opportunities in this series.

"I think we've got to execute better, that's the bottom line," Patrice Bergeron said of his team's power-play difficulties. "The plays that we want to make are there in a way, but I think we're forcing a lot of them too. We've just got to go back to taking what's there in front of you."

That mindset may also be beneficial in igniting the team's vaunted top line of Bergeron, Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak. That group, which combined for 20 points (nine goals, 11 assists) against the Maple Leafs, has totaled just one in this series.

While two-time Vezina Trophy recipient Sergei Bobrovsky deserves some of the "blame" for the top line's power outage, Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy told reporters that he expects the group to produce.

"Is it sustainable? I don't know," Cassidy said. "I can't predict the future. I'd like to think they're going to have to score. Obviously, some of that starts on the power play. We had one that was not very good -- the second one, we got taken off it, so that's not even really a power play.

"We're going to have to figure something out as a group."

Marchand is expected to have a chance to get the Bruins back on track on Thursday, as multiple outlets reported that the NHL would not provide supplemental discipline after the pesky forward's actions in Game 3.

The 30-year-old Marchand, who has six previous suspensions, delivered a quick jab to the back of the head of unsuspecting Columbus defenseman Scott Harrington toward the latter stages of the third period on Tuesday.

Harrington was not injured on the play.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Game 4, Bruins special teams must do more. We have beat to death the lack of performance of the top line, no need to continue the same. Marchant must contain his emotions.

IMO lose this game and continue to play the same for the rest of the series, it's all over for the Bruins.

Looking for more from the Bruins.

Go Bruins

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
I dont know how to feel about this game. I feel we can win but then again I feel like we cant get enough pucks on net to win.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NOXOKLDMLEI6TK32JDLGCL665I.jpg

Bruins may look to David Backes for more net-front presence - The Boston Globe

David Backes, who turned 35 Wednesday, received a birthday present of sorts from coach Bruce Cassidy. He skated the right wing next to David Krejci and Jake DeBrusk during practice at Nationwide Arena.

Cassidy wouldn’t commit to the change afterward, noting that the rookie he replaced, Karson Kuhlman, has brought speed and energy. It does seem, however, that the 6-foot-3-inch, 220-pound veteran will be in the lineup for Game 4

“Good to be on a line and expecting to be playing,” said Backes, who hasn’t played since Game 5 against Toronto, 12 days before Wednesday. “I’ll be the freshest guy on the ice, I know that, for sure. Can I turn that into some extra races and battles won? That’s up to me.”

“It’s what I’ve done my whole career,” Backes said. “Hopefully find myself on top of that paint for extended periods of time with little black pucks flying by me, try to get tips and rebounds and screens. It’s no secret how you score this time of year.”

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Move Pasta up to 1st, Kuhlman 2nd anf Backes to 3rd?

Marchand trying to taunt enemies to give Pasta a little bit more space, I believe his problems are mental.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Just slow down their game, when they rush they make mistakes especially on the PP and start to shield Bobrovsky. Bergeron and Marchand gotta stay out of the box and start being more productive. It's simple lose tonight and it's over but win and it has the same effect on Columbus as when they won game three, going into Boston tied 2-2 should pump the Bruins up to win game 5 and take a 3-2 series lead. Bobrovsky is being hit by the puck but when he is not being hit we are hitting the posts so the Bruins themselves have to start being more selective with their shots and get it out of their heads that Bobrovsky can't be beat, he can be but start to think it is us for not taking better shots. Believe in yourselves and most importantly have FUN doing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maine Fan

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
I'm highly likely to be in the minority but I like bringing Backes in. He may end up getting dropped to the 4th as the game goes on but we need some net front presence and we need to be more physical. He should be fresh. I also bring Wagner back in. Nordstrom has been a good soldier but again, physicality. We aren't forcing CBJ to make mistakes with this laid back approach. They are too good defensively to be giving them so much time and not pay any price. Anyway, just win!

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Bruins may look to David Backes for more net-front presence - The Boston Globe

“Good to be on a line and expecting to be playing,” said Backes, who hasn’t played since Game 5 against Toronto, 12 days before Wednesday. “I’ll be the freshest guy on the ice, I know that, for sure. Can I turn that into some extra races and battles won? That’s up to me.”

“It’s what I’ve done my whole career,” Backes said. “Hopefully find myself on top of that paint for extended periods of time with little black pucks flying by me, try to get tips and rebounds and screens. It’s no secret how you score this time of year.”

This I gotta see...

Hoping he makes a difference however I felt Coolman was a big factor previous game. I would rather see Wags or Coolman in. Hope I'm wrong.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Have plans tonight so I’ll be loosely following. I think they take this one, they ended Game 3 a lot stronger than they started and I felt like something may have clicked.

Columbus is a good team. They aren’t going to make it easy. If the Bruins can figure out how to play their game, they should be able to beat a strong CBJ. If they continue to play below their ability, CBJ should take the series.

I’m good with putting Backes in and seeing what happens.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
This Blue Jackets team is good. To me the bruins look frustrated and tired and the BJs appear on a mission and confident.

Time for the bruins to turn the tide....

I agree but one win can turn those fortunes around in a hurry.

CBJ'S are sky high and the Bruins can set a statement and knock them down a peg or two with a big win tonight in Columbus.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
This Blue Jackets team is good. To me the bruins look frustrated and tired and the BJs appear on a mission and confident.

Time for the bruins to turn the tide....
CBJ is a good team. The B's look banged up to me. I hope they came out tonight and win.

I know most are getting all over Pasta, Bergy and Brad but when you consider they are the ones who got the B's into the playoffs (no one else was scoring much) and the other teams knowing this are doing whatever they can to stop them I think we all should cut them some slack.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty optimistic until I dreamed they lost in overtime

I’ll say screw the dream

Bruins win 4,5, and 7

Play Canes beat them in 7

Play a west team that has swept the previous series and beat them in 7

Bruins play 28 games beating everyone who had swept the previous series played

The parade is postponed till August because almost all Bruins players need surgery or hospitalization

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
LONGEST WORK DAY EVER!!!!

Drop the puck already!!!!

We got this?????

Pasta needs to show up tonight. We are going no where without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad