GDT: ECSF 1 | FLYERS (H) vs. Islanders (A) | Monday, Aug. 24, 2020 | 7:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
People acted like the Laughton-Hayes-Konecny line had the same chemistry as Hartnell-Briere-Leino in 2010. In reality it was more like that Read-Couturier-Downie line that worked for a couple games and made everyone blow their load.

Reactions: flyersNducks

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
That brings back memories. Not good memories, but...

For me, too. Our high-school chemistry prof tried to show us how reactive pure potassium is in the air. He cuts off a piece ... nothing. Cuts another piece ... nothing. He leaves it on his desk for the whole rest of the class and not even a whiff of reaction. The bell rings and he tosses it into the garbage ... WHOOSH goes a mini-fireball.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Hagg and Braun's "chemistry"?

Does Shill Meltzer not realize that Hagg and Braun have consistently been destroyed while together?

Is this the same type of "chemistry" as the imaginary chemistry I was told Laughton has with Hayes and TK, that caused his shooting % to be 66.66%?

:laugh:
Ghost just doesn't fit into the lineup. He is clearly one of the top 6 defensemen on this team right now (bubble). The only question about where he fits should be on which pair.

2019/20 Roster Thread XXXI

landsbergfan said:
Ghost will be blamed and scapegoated, but the reality is that the organization will fail to find a way to make a defenseman who received Norris trophy votes a permanent part of the lineup and an asset to themselves. They're shooting themselves in the foot and blaming the gun, and instead of getting medical attention they are just plugging the wound with Robert Hagg.

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
What's funny is he actually has people supporting this idea in 2020.
One keeps pointing out that Hagg had more 5v5 points than Ghost this year and the other stated that "Hagg is as good as Ghost when set up in the offensive zone at ES"
So maybe the three of them are right and we're all just idiots?
Ghost might be the right choice for the first game against a probably hitting and grinding Islanders team. We’ll have to outskill them. So it should be Ghost over Hägg this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ghost just doesn't fit into the lineup. He is clearly one of the top 6 defensemen on this team right now (bubble). The only question about where he fits should be on which pair.

2019/20 Roster Thread XXXI

Yuuuuup. At the very very worst, he's our 4th best defensemen right now.

I was even saying this back in the offseason when we added Niskanen and Braun. I knew they'd use them to block Ghost from ever having a legit chance and then blame him when his scoring suffered.

And that's exactly what happened. They took a top pair offensive defensemen, did everything in their power to prevent him from scoring on both the PP and at 5v5, and then used the lack of scoring as an excuse to limit and bench him. Even when he was playing fantastic around December while with Myers and free from Hagg, they were still regularly giving him the least 5v5 icetime. He never had a shot.

That's why it's so funny to hear Fletcher pretend that last game was the first time Ghost played like that this year. He's had tons of games just like that, but they got ignored by the staff. And just like after those games, he'll get no reward in usage and the guys who played awful will never see a dent in their playing time or opportunities. Because, as we know, quality of play means nothing here.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg does have a weird offensive mojo, each year they score more goals than expected goals with him on the ice.
Over the last three years, at ES, 142 v 116, once is probably a statistical fluke, three seasons?
His Fenwick is also consistently better than his Corsi, reflection of his skill as a shot blocker.
The evidence suggests that while not a good player, Hagg is better than some metrics suggest.

Reactions: marcsson68

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's why it's so funny to hear Fletcher pretend that last game was the first time Ghost played like that this year. He's had tons of games just like that, but they got ignored by the staff. And just like after those games, he'll get no reward in usage and the guys who played awful will never see a dent in their playing time or opportunities. Because, as we know, quality of play means nothing here.

Because to those with eyesight, it was the first time in two years he looked like the "old Ghost."
He showed good lateral agility, more decisive, more burst in his skating.
And it was clear watching him skating up the ice he had confidence in his skating, he didn't try to dump the puck when challenged.
Ghostdog is oblivious to how bad Ghost played the last two seasons, but it was clear to the rest of us.

Now I'd like to see him repeat that before I'll have confidence "he's back," one problem with bad knees is a player can look good for a game or two, then the knees swell up, which is why I wouldn't play him in back to back games for a while even if AV decides to start him.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
“Hagg should play over Ghost because he’s bigger and stronger than Ghost. ESPECIALLY against a team like the big bad Islanders.”

Or...you could match strength with a player who brings speed & agility! Which is a perfectly fine & acceptable alternative

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
“Hagg should play over Ghost because he’s bigger and stronger than Ghost. ESPECIALLY against a team like the big bad Islanders.”

Or...you could match strength with a player who brings speed & agility! Which is a perfectly fine & acceptable alternative

On defense, if that's the real Ghost. The Ghost of the last two years struggled to evade forecheckers b/c he couldn't deke them.

Interesting that smaller, mobile defensemen seem to have more success as a group than small, mobile forwards the last few years.

It may be you can balance the small defenseman with a bigger partner, while teams tend to give open ice to defenseman if they consistently beat the first forechecker and make it a 5 on 4. And defensemen don't generally go deep into the O-zone, so they have room to operate in space.

Wonder if someone has looked into this.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think we will be able to play our game and come in waves better than MTL which is not saying much, but it’s a plus. I would want a real 3C to play that game if I were AV

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
How to make sense of the above comments:

20200312-CLOSED-600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad