GDT: ECSF 1 | FLYERS (H) vs. Islanders (A) | Monday, Aug. 24, 2020 | 7:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
2 of the 3 losses came in our 1st 20 games while we were still figuring out AV and the 3rd loss came in the final minute of regulation with Elliott in net.

I attended that last game in Brooklyn. Had a stomach full of edibles and ate some bad Mexican food beforehand...the third period was probably as blurry for me as it was for Elliott and I ended up casually puking in a trashcan at Penn Station (traditional NY custom) after a real rough subway ride back. It was also February in NYC and I'd felt oddly under-the-weather with a weird shallow cough for the previous two weeks so maybe I had the rona before it was cool who knows.

Was initially concerned about this series but have settled in to calm and confidence. No particular reason, just think they'll win. I called a conference finals loss this year, and it's not the conference finals yet.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Unlike Montreal, the Islanders will let you have the puck if you want it. Look at the company they keep.

upload_2020-8-23_16-15-9.png

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Unlike Montreal, the Islanders will let you have the puck if you want it. Look at the company they keep.

View attachment 363353

i read that the caps got their CF up (and isles number down) due to the last two elimination games. Still, it does give you hope that we can get that back. Its a huge part of our game. We have shown in the montreal series that when we win that possession battle we absolutely dominate. We suffocate teams in the NZ and now that ghost is back, he will definitely help shut teams down in the NZ.

Glad that ghost played such a great game and everyone, including the GM, saw/talked about it. Now, the question is...who comes out for niskanen: braun or hagg? There is no way ghost is being benched after that.

As for fwds...if nak is back, who sits out: jvr, grant, pitlick, farabee..? I think the odd man out is jvr as of now. I think this is a series we can really use jvr.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

View attachment 363353

Speaks to a point I was trying to make in that shitshow Playoffs board thread, but basically I have less concern about this Isles team because the combo of Price and Weber or Petry (particularly Weber) was kryptonite for the Flyers' dump-in/forecheck game. The Islanders have a good defense, but the Flyers shouldn't have nearly the same issues establishing the zone as they did against Montreal. Won't be easy, once again, but Price and Weber killed those efforts without breaking a sweat--Varlamov just doesn't handle the puck that well and good as the individual pieces in NY are, none of them is the solitary machine that is Weber. Flyers should be able to get just a couple more turnovers and, from those, just a few more sustained zone stays over the course of the series than they did against the Habs. If you can convert, a handful of additional turnovers can be the difference in a series.

Watching Weber go head to head with Couturier on those sequences was really something. Couturier's one of the smarter forwards in the league, and he's not a small man--he uses his body quite well to seal off and disrupt defensemen in their own zone, and his brain to snuff out their first move and flag down a puck or two. Against Weber, just nothing he could do. Shea physically way too strong to be hindered even by a guy like Couturier, and it seemed like he'd already read out 2-3 passing options by the time any forward reached him, he always had somewhere to play it safely. You could've sent three deep after every dump-in on Weber and Price and still not sniffed the puck all game.

Last edited:

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
BEING REALISTIC..

I would like to see this for Game 1, assuming NAK is back.

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Farabee - Hayes - Konecny
JVR - Laughton - NAK
Raffl - Thompson - Pitlick

Provorov - Niskanen
Sanheim - Myers
Ghost - Braun

Key takeaways:

Stop wasting Giroux and put him a position to produce rather than just "improve depth."

Give JVR a chance to prove his worth in a new series. He played well with Laughton as his Center for a stretch this season.

Have Raffl & Pitlick prop up Tanner Thompson

Give Ghost & Braun another shot to find chemistry. On paper they should work. They need to get more reps in together.

I still think Giroux can produce AND improve depth. That whole notion that he sits back as a center is right only when he plays with guys like laughton/jvr in the bottom 6. I see no reason how Giroux can't produce given he gets some good linemates.. I like your lines but AV just hasn't even tried to do laughton at center for some reason. I'm ok with either

farabee-couts-tk
nak-giroux-voracek
jvr-hayes-laughton
raffl-grant-pitlick

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
i read that the caps got their CF up (and isles number down) due to the last two elimination games. Still, it does give you hope that we can get that back. Its a huge part of our game. We have shown in the montreal series that when we win that possession battle we absolutely dominate. We suffocate teams in the NZ and now that ghost is back, he will definitely help shut teams down in the NZ.

Those were regular season stats. Playoff stats are still in SSS territory.

Reactions: flyersNducks

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
love to see voracek play the way he has. Reminds me of his 80 point season. Use that body and move the feet. He can be a dominant possession player and create chances/penalties.

Would love to see jvr score some points here. He can be a big key to getting some points outside of the top guys. Couts will get his, giroux and voracek will pile up the assists. If JVR, tk, and hayes can get some goals it will heelp like crazy. We score by community and those are the guys that helped all year, we need them now more than ever

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Speaks to a point I was trying to make in that shitshow Playoffs board thread, but basically I have less concern about this Isles team because the combo of Price and Weber or Petry (particularly Weber) was kryptonite for the Flyers' dump-in/forecheck game. The Islanders have a good defense, but the Flyers shouldn't have nearly the same issues establishing the zone as they did against Montreal. Won't be easy, once again, but Price and Weber killed those efforts without breaking a sweat--Varlamov just doesn't handle the puck that well and good as the individual pieces in NY are, none of them is the solitary machine that is Weber. Flyers should be able to get just a couple more turnovers and, from those, just a few more sustained zone stays over the course of the series than they did against the Habs. If you can convert, a handful of additional turnovers can be the difference in a series.

Watching Weber go head to head with Couturier on those sequences was really something. Couturier's one of the smarter forwards in the league, and he's not a small man--he uses his body quite well to seal off and disrupt defensemen in their own zone, and his brain to snuff out their first move and flag down a puck or two. Against Weber, just nothing he could do. Shea physically way too strong to be hindered even by a guy like Couturier, and it seemed like he'd already read out 2-3 passing options by the time any forward reached him, he always had somewhere to play it safely. You could've sent three deep after every dump-in on Weber and Price and still not sniffed the puck all game.

Weber ragdolled Couturier. This is a thing we've never seen before. Weber played a f***ing amazing series.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Weber is still great. Easily still a top 10 defenseman in the league, imo.

He has 6 more years on his contract, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's still a top 4 defenseman at 40.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Weber ragdolled Couturier. This is a thing we've never seen before. Weber played a f***ing amazing series.
There's no one left that plays that way.
Maybe McDonagh Cernak pairing is the only one left that can be physical and maybe even intimidating.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Weber is still great. Easily still a top 10 defenseman in the league, imo.

He has 6 more years on his contract, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's still a top 4 defenseman at 40.
That would be absolutely shocking. Look how hard Giordano's game has fallen when he has slowed down with age. There are only 5 dmen older than 35. Hamhuis and Engelland are retired which leaves Greene, Hainsey and Chara. None of them are top4 dmen anymore. Just look how much of a problem Niskanen had keeping up with Habs and dude is 32. 35 is new 40 in today's NHL.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
McAvoy is overrated as f***. Because pretending so helps our player look better. Yawn.

That would be absolutely shocking. Look how hard Giordano's game has fallen when he has slowed down with age.

What?! The same Giordano who won the Norris trophy last season and put up another stellar campaign, lapping his team in relxGF%, at age 36?

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
McAvoy is overrated as f***. Because pretending so helps our player look better. Yawn.

What?! The same Giordano who won the Norris trophy last season and put up another stellar campaign, lapping his team in relxGF%, at age 36?
Yeah that Giordano.Eyetest in playoffs he looked like #4 at best and was noticeably slower than everyone around him. Andersen, Brodie looked much better. Hanifin was a disappointment as well.

Reactions: Down2ClownAmac4Life

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I want to see a lot more from Konecny, in particular, than in the Montreal series. I just rewatched the elimination game and he was a negative in all 3 zones.

He's regressed after a solid season when it looked like he took a step up.
Maybe he's just trying too hard, sometimes a player has to just do his job and not try to win the game by himself.

Reactions: Down2ClownAmac4Life

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I want to see a lot more from Konecny, in particular, than in the Montreal series. I just rewatched the elimination game and he was a negative in all 3 zones.

I kind of wonder if he’s hurt. He’s usually a guy that takes a beating out there, partly because he’s a target as a skilled player but also because he enjoys the agitator role.

I kind of want him away from Hayes who is all about slowing the game down, where I feel TK is at his best when he has line mates that can match his speed.

Sometimes I feel they are pairing a Mustang with a Grand Caravan with those two.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I kind of want him away from Hayes who is all about slowing the game down, where I feel TK is at his best when he has line mates that can match his speed.

I do find it curious how the narrative was THAT was our best line in the round robin.....and now? To their credit, they were quite good -- and they were good before the season halted, whether it was Farabee or Laughton at LW. I didn't buy Laughton as having preternatural chemistry, but I did start to buy into Hayes and Konecny having a little something. In particular, the increased emphasis on zone entries, creativity, and patience in manufacturing high quality chances.

Konecny in particular had an off series, although he had a couple prime chances to score. I'm willing to let that duo stay together and see what comes of it. I think TK is a little more adaptable than people think: guys like Giroux, Couturier, Lindblom aren't speedsters -- besides mentally -- and he's had success with them.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I kind of wonder if he’s hurt. He’s usually a guy that takes a beating out there, partly because he’s a target as a skilled player but also because he enjoys the agitator role.

Sometimes I feel they are pairing a Mustang with a Grand Caravan with those two.

he skates to space type of player. V, g, coots, ghost, and farabee pass to space. He will always look better playing with them than jvr or Hayes who pass to spots.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I took a look earlier and looked at zone starts for our centers in the Mtl series. Believe it or not, it's Couts who pretty much was not taking DZ faceoffs while Thompson was the opposite. SO if that is to continue, here is the lines I would go with knowing they won't play Frost:

JVR - Couturier - Voracek
Giroux- Laughton - Konecny
Farabee - Hayes - NAK

Raffl - Grant - Pitlick

Provorov - Niskanen
Sanheim - Myers
Ghost - Braun

Couts can make JVR dangerous...and Jake is playing great. If they are starting Couts in the OZ all the time, great place for JVR to start.

Oh...bear with me on the 2nd line. Laughton...just tell him to play good defense and find a winger when breaking out....and shoot when passed to in the OZ. And when coming back into our zone, you have Laughton and G switch off where the 1st guy back, becomes the C in the DZ.

3rd line is the defensive line. Focus on that 1st while still chipping in some offense

4th line is the "grind" line that coaches want but can still add some offense.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I do find it curious how the narrative was THAT was our best line in the round robin.....and now? To their credit, they were quite good -- and they were good before the season halted, whether it was Farabee or Laughton at LW. I didn't buy Laughton as having preternatural chemistry, but I did start to buy into Hayes and Konecny having a little something. In particular, the increased emphasis on zone entries, creativity, and patience in manufacturing high quality chances.

Konecny in particular had an off series, although he had a couple prime chances to score. I'm willing to let that duo stay together and see what comes of it. I think TK is a little more adaptable than people think: guys like Giroux, Couturier, Lindblom aren't speedsters -- besides mentally -- and he's had success with them.

It’s a comparison I’ve made before, but Arvidsson is a guy I like to compare him to. The playing style is just similar in my eyes.

It’s not necessarily that I don’t think he’s not adaptable but I do think he could be utilized a bit better in the lineup, although not everyone can play with Couturier which at this point does only leave Hayes as the fallback.

I can openly admit that while I am a fan of two way centres with size, I do at times wish there was more of a speed element coming through the middle of the ice for the Flyers.

Often I feel Konecny is forced into no man’s land when he fully utilizes his speed because his line mates can’t keep pace.

I just think he can do more, and it’s why I’d love to see him with Lind and someone like Frost in the future for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad