Pre-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 4 3:41 PM - An afternoon in the Everglades - NESN, TNT, SN1, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM - Bruins lead series 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShiftyNifty16

Blow it up, burn it down, hit reset and start over
Apr 11, 2014
Earth
GDT sent to @Fenway

Did this abstract yesterday

full
Love it! At first glance I saw wine corks.

Reactions: UConn126

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I have seen him busting his ass to back check and making more contact this year

Part of great D is instinctive (just as goal scoring is) and some is hard work. The effort is there, just not always the result.

Apologies for an error filled speech to text post.

You can surmise regardless that David has apparently failed to learn much about responsible three zone play from Patrice and Brad, inarguably two of the NHL's best all around players, if not the best.

I have seen more effort the past two seasons, yes. And, surprisingly, even some physicality.

Even so, I've also seen "rainbow" outs under pressure that get called back for icing, which allows the opposing team another opportunity for a set play in your end. Less than ideal.

Pastrňák has been guilty of lazy outs like this and more egregiously, no look passes that end up on an opponent's stick. Apparently, it's too much bother to know where players are on the ice when you throw the puck up (or down) the middle, a dangerous, low percentage approach almost guaranteed to blow up in your face. This has happened more than once.

Of course, I like David as a person and admire his fantastic offensive skill.

But he's 26, signed to a mammoth contract extension that will keep him in Boston for the next eight years, and soon to step into a greater leadership role with the imminent departure of Bergeron & Krejčí.

I don't mean to be harsh, but it's time for the happy go lucky Pasta to round out his game.

Again, two cents,

:deadhorse

Last edited:

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Bruins need to really take it a gear above today. Need solid performance by everyone and several with a great performance. If we get the train a rolling there is no stopping us. Feel like debrusk is due for a couple, and I’d like to see a goal or two from the back end.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I'm missing the context of this conversation, but in my opinion there's two different things going on.

Sure, Pasta makes some bad passes, and general turnovers that could and should be avoided. No arguments, most players CAN be better.

But saying, "you play with Bergeron, why can't you be more like him?!" is not the right approach IMHO. I don't think you want a roster of 20 "all around" players. You NEED an offensive, game breaking talent sometimes. That player that is going to take a mundane play, and turn it into a goal. Pasta is a defensive liability, and I'm ok with that, because of what he brings at the other end of the ice. The game winning goal on Friday with Pastrnak getting behind the D for a breakaway is a prime example of him giving up defensive coverage to make something happen at the other end of the ice.

And lastly, I think Pastrnak is enabled to play the way he does BECAUSE he plays with two of the best All Around players in league, and they would be the first ones to say he doesn't need to play more like them. He's doing his job, warts and all. The fact that we're noticing Pastrnak's defensive lapses right now is more a symptom of Bergeron being out, than of poor performance on Pastrnak's part.

Fine post and fair rebuttal.

Thank you, sir.

Reactions: TimmytheTank

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Wonder who Florida starts in net? I’d prefer they go with Bobrovsky
Why the other guy hasn’t been that great,seems to be great going side to side making stops ,tends to cheat on the passes ,but can definitely be beat with straight on shots.

Did the Bruins share their germs.Lol

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Apologies for an error filled speech to text post.

You can surmise regardless that David has apparently failed to learn much about responsible three zone play from Patrice and Brad, inarguably two of the NHL's best all around players, if not the best.

I have seen more effort the past two seasons, yes. And, surprisingly, even some physicality.

Even so, I've also seen "rainbow" outs under pressure that get called back for icing, which allows the opposing team another opportunity for a set play in your end. Less than ideal.

Pastrňák has been guilty of lazy outs like this and more egregiously, no look passes that end up on an opponent's stick. Apparently, it's too much bother to know where players are on the ice when you throw the puck up (or down) the middle, a dangerous, low percentage approach almost guaranteed to blow up in your face. This has happened more than once.

Of course, I like David as a person and admire his fantastic offensive skill.

But he's 26, signed to a mammoth contract extension that will keep him Boston for the next eight years, and soon to step into a greater leadership role with the imminent departure of Bergeron & Krejčí.

I don't mean to be harsh, but it's time for the happy go lucky Pasta to round out his game.

Again, two cents,

:deadhorse
I think it's just not Pasta throwing blind passes....a lot of times they seem to already decide where the pass is going, often the D knows it too and they get picked off. It's going to happen, but the place on the ice where it happens is more of a problem....like by the blueline, and back passes.

More awareness is needed as to where they are on the ice, including Pasta....no doubt he does try to fly the zone early at times,but I'm ok with that

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad