GDT: ECQF G5: (4)Boston Bruins v (5)Toronto Maple Leafs - 5/10/13 Part 2

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Phaneuf shut down the Bergy line to start the series, and when moved to the Krejci line matchup last night, shut them down too.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Phaneuf shut down the Bergy line to start the series, and when moved to the Krejci line matchup last night, shut them down too.
you are so clueless...its like me saying seguin is elite...I actually don't think any of the bruins players are elite to be, maybe chara...elite means top of the league...can think of a dman on every team that is better than phaneuf

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
there cant be 30 'elite' dmen in the league...elite would mean the top 5-maybe 10 in the league...and a quick top 10 ahead of him are chara, weber, suter, subban, Ekman Larsson, karlsson, keith, seabrook, kronwall, pietrangelo, doughty, boyle, burns, ...oh oops, that's more than 10, I will stop there

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
you are so clueless...its like me saying seguin is elite...I actually don't think any of the bruins players are elite to be, maybe chara...elite means top of the league...can think of a dman on every team that is better than phaneuf

no, it's not like you saying Seguin is elite.

Phaneuf was near top of the league in all of defensemen goals, points, hits, icetime, and quality of competition for the 2nd year in a row this year. He also led his team to one of the better records in hockey, and led the 2nd ranked PK unit in hockey.

Seguin has never done anything like that.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI

I like how you ignore stats some times and live by them other times. Its hilarious. seriously.

Ok I'll pretend to be Zeke and use stats to prove my argument

Dion "fraud tough guy" Homophobic Sluroof is 112th out of 113 defensemen in the playoffs for +/-.

Same guy regular season, is 239th out of 305 for +/- even though he was top 10 in scoring. That means he sucks + Overated. and no cute little situational stat is going to tell me otherwise.

he blows, he's overrated, and makes bonehead mistakes time and time again, and not to mention he's a pretend tough guy that does NOT play like a captain.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
it's pretty embarassing that you still use the +/- stat in arguments, to be honest.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kessel has a better +/- than Bergeron these playoffs.

Kessel is clearly the better defensive player.

ytownhockey10

tornado of souls
Mar 8, 2010
in the salt

the difference here is that there is plenty of defensible evidence to the contrary.

you say "dion scores a lot."
we say "he gets scored on more."

what is silly or embarrassing about what a +/- tells us?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
There's nothing embarassing about calling a defenseman elite when he has finished amongst the elite rankings of all the major offensive, defensive, and physical defensemen categories for the past two seasons, led the 2nd ranked PK unit in the league, and led his team to the 5th seed in the playoffs, and done well shutting down whatever bruins line he's been matched up against so far in the first round.

There's really nothing else you can call him.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
There's nothing embarassing about calling a defenseman elite when he has finished amongst the elite rankings of all the major offensive, defensive, and physical defensemen categories for the past two seasons, led the 2nd ranked PK unit in the league, and led his team to the 5th seed in the playoffs, and done well shutting down whatever bruins line he's been matched up against so far in the first round.

He also finished at the top of the league in turnovers too

Phaneuf = elite

I love how the most common argument to try to defend Phaneuf is "he played the toughest competition"

And boy did that show, like I said he lead the league in turnovers, and he was the most negative player in the LEAGUE (meanwhile FRASER was the most positive player)

I wouldn't even trade a 1st for him

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI

nope. Cuz i know how to use stats and you don't. You see, thats why i stated Phaneufs offense where you didn't use bergerons or kessels. And due to sample size I added regular season #'s to indicate TREND. You don't even know what that means.

Bergeron has 1pt
Kessel has 3 pts.

Bergeron is in a defensive role. Kessel is not.

Regular season

Bergeron 32pts, +24
Kessel 52pts, -3

You see the above? That's called supportive data.

Knowing you get into numbers battles just to try and troll (cuz you can't be that ignorant) I won't get any deeper than below cuz you might feel something like an icecream headache...

But,
you see that 2nd to last in +/- for phaneuf in the playoffs?
you see that BOTTOM 22% in the league +/- for phaneuf in the regular season?

THOSE ARE RELATED.
He might play against the top lines in the league but he blows **** against them too. Theres no explanation for having such a bad +/- as a Dman when your the top 10 Dman in points except that you suck defensively

He SUCKS.

Class Over.

Don't forget to get your coat, and don't worry about the apple. I had lunch

Last edited:

ytownhockey10

tornado of souls
Mar 8, 2010
in the salt

yeah man, we get it. you guys made the playoffs.

dion pulled a 'dion' in game 4 and was solely responsible for krejci's OT goal - the play was indefensible. he makes selfish, bone-headed plays - like that one - with alarming frequency and is thereby disqualified from discussions about "elite" NHL dmen.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah man, we get it. you guys made the playoffs.

dion pulled a 'dion' in game 4 and was solely responsible for krejci's OT goal - the play was indefensible. he makes selfish, bone-headed plays - like that one - with alarming frequency and is thereby disqualified from discussions about "elite" NHL dmen.

indefensible?

good defensemen get burnt all the time. Chara has made plenty of bad pinches in his day.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
go make a phaneuf is elite thread in the main forum. Would love to see it get ripped apart.

I'd recommend you not go to the "main forum" to get your hockey knowledge from, especially as pertains to the leafs.

According to the main forum, Kadri and Reimer aren't NHL players, and Seguin is better than Kessel.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

:amazed:
:laugh: Hey guy, you need to get out of that basement. Breathe the air, have a glass or two of water and breathe some more. No offense but you really are sounding kinda....a little..... ah worrisome. If I were your father/brother I'd be worried about you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad