Pre-Game Talk: ECQF G3 4/15 7:12 PM - THE BEAR wants home ice back - NESN, CBC, NBCSN, SN(4K), TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

upload_2019-4-14_16-8-16.png

upload_2019-4-14_16-8-49.png

Bruins, Maple Leafs ready for Game 3 duel

The Toronto Maple Leafs and the Boston Bruins took turns at doing what they do best in splitting the first two games of their first-round playoff series.

And the Bruins will try to sustain the momentum from their 4-1 victory Saturday when they visit the Maple Leafs Monday night for Game 3 of the best-of-seven series.

"They set the tempo the first game," said Bruins left winger Brad Marchand, who had a goal and an assist in Game 2. "We weren't prepared for that. We were (Saturday). It's going to be a fun series."

The Bruins played a far more physical game Saturday and limited the skating game of the Maple Leafs, who took the opener 4-1.

"To be honest with you, when you come in here, initially you're hoping you probably get a split," Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock said. "Once you get the first game you get greedy and want the second game. We didn't get the second game. We're in a best-of-five now, we've got to dig in."

Things became testy in Game 2, particularly between Boston's Jake DeBrusk and Toronto's Nazem Kadri. Kadri scored Toronto's goal in the third period and soon after was given a five-minute penalty and a game misconduct for cross checking DeBrusk on the side of the head.

"We've got some guys who have been through some nasty series in the past," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said.

Kadri was offered the chance to have a hearing about a possible suspension, which would be the fifth of his career. He was suspended for three games in the 2018 playoffs for boarding Tommy Wingels in another Toronto-Boston series.

Kadri's place as third-line center could be filled by either William Nylander or Patrick Marleau if he is suspended for the game.

DeBrusk was dazed and his status for Game 3 was uncertain. Toronto defenseman Jake Muzzin hit Boston defender Torey Krug head-first into the boards in the second period. Krug did not return. Another Boston defenseman, Connor Clifton, also left with an injury.

All three traveled to Toronto, however.

John Moore could return from an upper-body injury to add experience to the Boston defense.

"The way they played (Saturday), I don't think surprised anybody in our room, but we didn't execute and handle it," Babcock said. "The bottom line is we'll get another go at this, we'll be in our house next and we've got to come out and get after them, just like we did night one."

David Backes, who was dropped from the first-game lineup as the Bruins dressed a faster lineup, returned Saturday and was a physical presence. He set up Boston's first goal.

"We're not a team that runs from a physical game," Cassidy said. "I think it brings out the best in us at times. You've got to make sure you stay on the right side of things, and score, defend, while you're doing all that. That was the ask (Saturday). We got it."

"That first 10 minutes they were physical and trying to make a statement," Toronto center Auston Matthews said. "We weathered the storm as well as we could and I thought halfway through the game we started

pushing back much better and into the third period, generating more chances and playing more O-zone. That said, the first two periods, they controlled a lot of the play and obviously, when you lose Game 1 at home, you know they're going to come out with a response and they obviously did."

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My gut says the officials will call things tightly in game 3 and we'll see a parade to the box on anything close.....for both teams. I really hope that's not the case. I'm a ''let-em-play" guy.

Well as of this morning these 2 were scheduled to work tomorrow in Toronto

KR10.jpg
CR05.jpg

Kyle Rehman (10), Chris Rooney (5)

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Welp

the Bruins will need to weather the storm tomorrow

Even though the Bruins have figured out a way to stop the stretch passes and play a more physical brand of hockey

I remember in games 5 and 6 of last season, the leafs dumped and chased harder and also skated with the puck harder from the outside.....even if there was no lane to cut to the net.... just skating it hard, deep into the Bruins zone. Have the Bruins D work to chase them around

1st goal tomorrow will be big

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I know people are split on him, but I think Krug may be the most irreplaceable D-man on the team (not to be confused with the best D-man on the team). No one can fill the role that he does. Grz and McAvoy have elements of his game, but nowhere near the same. The one saving grace is that PPs are harder to come by in the playoffs.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
My gut says the officials will call things tightly in game 3 and we'll see a parade to the box on anything close.....for both teams. I really hope that's not the case. I'm a ''let-em-play" guy.

And we have a let-em-play team.

Will probably happen, not too drastic i hope.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Chris Rooney? f*** me. Clown as f*** and up there with Tim Peel.

Bruins game plan should be simple, home/away. Hit this soft sack hockey team and they will crumble.

Reactions: bbfan419

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
gotta work til 4 then puppy obedience class at 5:30 so turning the phone off and not checking it as I`ll PVR this one. Fingers crossed the M.A.S.H unit is small tomorrow and Krug and Jake can go

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
We have an extremely good power play if it’s going to be a penalty fest for both sides, that might actually end up in our favor.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I think it will be a mostly clean tightly called game where the Leafs try to use their speed and stretch passes to get around our depleted D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad