Series Discussion: ECQF: Capitals vs. Leafs pt2 (Caps Win 4-2) (Leafs fans READ POST #1)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Oh there are many, many punishments. lol

I was actually a dual Leafs/Caps fan nearly 30 years ago and for a while after that so it's hilarious when I get called a "leafs hater" just for disagreeing. I'm restraining myself compared to what I want to say.

If we make the next round it will much more difficult to hold back because there is no question I hate the Penguins more than any other professional sports team. That includes the Yankees, Cowboys, Patriots and ESPN's entire staff.

Let me help you then. I'm a Caps/Habs fan, so I can stomach being called a "Leafs hater", even if I actually like their team.

The Penguins though... I might smash my keyboard against my desk.

Jun 15, 2007
This isn't even close. Cannot lose in the first round.

I'd rather gets swept by Nashville in SCF with Forsberg scoring 31 goals than losing in the first round.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Just end this in 6, shake their hands and reset. It starts zero zero so no need to feel like because they handled cbj we are already in the hole a game

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
How do you prepare a team to go for the kill in a close series?

For me, it starts with mental preparation. Forget the negative stuff, all the things that went wrong and treat the game as a single, must win game. If you can match the opponent's desperation, you've got the mental edge because you're not actually fighting to survive, therefore you can think clearly.
Early on in the game, set the tone with a big hit or a scoring opportunity on the rush to keep the D honest. Make the goalie move if you get early possession. Break them down with speed and strike early. Plant the seed of doubt. We've had that done to us at least 1000 times before, we should know how to do it to others.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
How do you prepare a team to go for the kill in a close series?

For me, it starts with mental preparation. Forget the negative stuff, all the things that went wrong and treat the game as a single, must win game. If you can match the opponent's desperation, you've got the mental edge because you're not actually fighting to survive, therefore you can think clearly.
Early on in the game, set the tone with a big hit or a scoring opportunity on the rush to keep the D honest. Make the goalie move if you get early possession. Break them down with speed and strike early. Plant the seed of doubt. We've had that done to us at least 1000 times before, we should know how to do it to others.

I feel like, as fans, we are more than ready to go for the kill. Put me in, coach!

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Credit to Mojo for being first to the puck (easily) on that Nisky dump-in and making a real clean pass to Kuzy

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
5fb632e8a253e8e7e958ebbe47a3f331.jpg

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
please, Caps, next game SCREEN the goalie, shoot the puck and go to the net. do what Williams has been doing all time. No please extra passes, simply park near the net! Thanks.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Leafs are good. Their D is kind of weak (brutal 3rd pair) but they have four good lines, a very good goalie, and a HOF coach. End this Sunday, take a breath, and get ready for Pittsburgh.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
All I know is Kadri cheapshot our Captain and we did nothing...terrible message going forward...Kadri and other Toronto players after that got in Holtby's face..u dont win in the playoffs allowing these things with no pushback...we may or may not win this series but we are not going past the 2nd round without a lot more fight and want to in our game

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I feel like, as fans, we are more than ready to go for the kill. Put me in, coach!
Not me… league would have already had an in person meeting set up for me after the Kadri hit. Either Andersen would be three rows into the stands or Kadri wouldn't be playing the rest of the series…:naughty:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Of course, the Caps need to get another win over Toronto before looking forward but (to continue the GDT discussion) I doubt Pittsburgh is any worse around the net than Toronto is. Hornqvist and Crosby in particular are strong in that area, not to mention their ability to score based on elite skill beyond that. Everything the Leafs are doing will likely be adopted by Pittsburgh anyway. I'm not sure Pittsburgh is as naturally agitating as players like Kadri and Komarov but of course it would be heated just the same given the match-up.

The main difference is Pittsburgh supports better offensively IMO to go along with their speed. That and of course they're more mature and less likely to let the Caps get away with long lulls of generally disinterested, uneventful play. There are some keys for the Caps to turn the tables but they would require a far more active approach than what they've been able to get away with against the Leafs to this point.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
All I know is Kadri cheapshot our Captain and we did nothing...terrible message going forward...Kadri and other Toronto players after that got in Holtby's face..u dont win in the playoffs allowing these things with no pushback...we may or may not win this series but we are not going past the 2nd round without a lot more fight and want to in our game

You have to be kidding. Wilson was getting 2 for playing a shift every time he was on the ice. There was no way they were gonna--or should have--risk it.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I feel like we matchup better against the Pens honestly. But enough of that jibberish. We have a series to finish.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
I'm not entirely sure why it wasn't a major, but we won anyways. I don't like how the refs were very clearly trying to send a message to the Caps to keep calm.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Hey guys, Leaf fan here in peace. Just got back to the hotel from the game and I just wanted to thank you guys for being classy, hospitable and awesome at the game. It was definitely a great game to watch as a hockey fan even though the Caps came out on top. Good luck in Game 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad