Post-Game Talk: ECQF 6 | FLYERS (3) vs. Canadiens (2) | Friday, Aug. 21, 2020 | FLYERS WIN SERIES 4-2

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
"After what we just watched" could apply to the whole series because you were beating the French Hak drum from the start of the series. :p:
And it was deserved from the start of the series.

I should've started in the round robin, if we're being honest. But I resisted because I'm the most positive and best behaved poster on this board.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don’t think think AV is completely clueless. His system before the restart was much better than Haks, but his line combos have been as bad or worse recently.

This is worse than VdV on the top line? Keeping in mind that NAK is hurt, the only change I'd love to see is getting Frost in for Thompson, move Laughton to 4th line with Grant as 4C, and play Frost with Giroux.

Game 5
Montreal Canadiens @ Philadelphia Flyers, 2020-08-19
Michael RafflSean CouturierJakub Voracek
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Joel FarabeeKevin HayesTravis Konecny
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Scott LaughtonClaude GirouxDerek Grant
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Tyler PitlickNate ThompsonConnor Bunnaman
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Game 6
Philadelphia Flyers @ Montreal Canadiens, 2020-08-21
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
James van RiemsdykClaude GirouxScott Laughton
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Tyler PitlickNate ThompsonDerek Grant
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
This is worse than VdV on the top line? Keeping in mind that NAK is hurt, the only change I'd love to see is getting Frost in for Thompson, move Laughton to 4th line with Grant as 4C, and play Frost with Giroux.

Game 5
Montreal Canadiens @ Philadelphia Flyers, 2020-08-19
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Scott LaughtonClaude GirouxDerek Grant
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Tyler PitlickNate ThompsonConnor Bunnaman
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Game 6
Philadelphia Flyers @ Montreal Canadiens, 2020-08-21
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
James van RiemsdykClaude GirouxScott Laughton
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Tyler PitlickNate ThompsonDerek Grant
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

VdV on the top line is indefensible. But Voracek and Giroux have basically played on 4th lines this series which is crazy. Laughton and Grant is the start of a 4th line.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I had a dentist growing up who was literally the Nazi dentist from Marathon Man. A regular cleaning was a total bloodbath. Having him drill a tooth was the most pleasant experience I'd ever had with him. It was so excruciating that when a Navy doc accidentally forgot to give my friend novocaine before drilling him, the doc scolded him for saying nothing. My friend replied "I thought this is just what dental work feels like." Guy is a SEAL now and has credited our dentist with teaching him to deal with discomfort, which got him through qualification. That's how bad the dentist is.

I got a modern dentist. I told him about what the way the old dentist did things. New Dentist was completely revolted and said his methods were barbaric and decades out of date.

Not all dentists are of equal quality. As an amateur, I was able to determine that without training and thus I stopped going to the bad one.

Probably a lesson to glean about authority here.

You didn't grow up in the Warminster area did you? If so, we might have gone to the same dentist. The only time he ever used novocaine on me was when pulling a 12 year old molar at 14 that had not fallen out. I heard the tooth crack and saw the root come with it.

When I first got to a modern dentist, it was like a whole other world. I was confused when he needed to replace an old filling and wanted to give me novocaine. And the best part? The modern dentist is not only less painful but way more effective. I haven't had a cavity since I switched.

I unfortunately never knew any better because it was the only dentist I had had my whole life, but I know now.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You didn't grow up in the Warminster area did you? If so, we might have gone to the same dentist. The only time he ever used novocaine on me was when pulling a 12 year old molar at 14 that had not fallen out. I heard the tooth crack and saw the root come with it.

When I first got to a modern dentist, it was like a whole other world. I was confused when he needed to replace an old filling and wanted to give me novocaine. And the best part? The modern dentist is not only less painful but way more effective. I haven't had a cavity since I switched.

I unfortunately never knew any better because it was the only dentist I had had my whole life, but I know now.

Nope, not the same dentist.

Soup Enthusiast

Good Soup
Jan 25, 2016
Dave....ORLANDO?!?!
@Mordecai
fatjvr.PNG

Reactions: landsbergfan

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Moving guys around to jump start an offense is so common it barely merits a comment.
A number of reasons
1) get guys out of their comfort zone
2) screw up the opposing coach's matchup strategy
3) hope for "magic," sometimes a new combo works for a short stretch (see Weal, etc), and the playoffs are a series of short stretches

The first line with Raffl instead of Giroux played as well or better, different chemistry and style, but good results.
Unfortunately, Giroux is past the point in his career where he's gonna jump start another line.

Due to injuries, AV simply can't field 3 solid lines or a top checking line.
And Frost isn't the answer, for him to not even be considered an option, he must look really bad on film, and we know it's not age/experience, or Farabee and Bunnaman would never have seen the ice.

As far as AV "praising" Thompson, HCs rarely throw scrubs under the bus (and the ones that do, often lose their clubhouse), highly paid stars that don't produce are a more complicated matter. If a "star" isn't producing and isn't hustling, failure by the HC to call him out can lead to backbiting and resentment in the clubhouse.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
If NAK is ready to go, who comes out?

I feel like it will be JVR but I’d rather scratch Grant or Thompson. Not sure which one is more useful against the Isles... possibly Thompson?

G/C/TK (he needs to get going)
Farabee/Hayes/Voracek
Raffl/Laughton/NAK
Grant/Thompson/Pitlick

or

JVR/Laughton/NAK
Raffl/Thompson/Pitlick

If Ghost stays in, what does that look like?

Braun has not been very good, so why not scratch him?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Braun has been fine, it's Niskanen who has struggled.
If he's not healthy, bench him until he is.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Braun is the 3rd pair D-man.

He hasn't been great, but look at HDCF/CA in the Montreal series:
Myers 9/19 (100 minutes) - HDCA 11.4/60
Sanheim 8/18 (93) - 11.6
Provorov 11/21 (93) - 13.5
Niskanen 6/15 (74) - 12.2
Braun 13/20 (73) - 16.4
Hagg 5/10 (47) - 12.8
Ghost 7/13 (40) - 19.5

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Braun's been trash, but that basically guarantees him a roster spot. Bad play gets rewarded around here.

The coaches won't do it, but the best lineup would be

Sanheim-Myers
Provorov-Ghost
Friedman-Niskanen

Niskanen and Braun have sucked, but if we have to pick one or the other we might as well take the guy who is more positively impactful if he does eventually bounce back. Giving him less icetime might help.
Then for the last spot, Hagg always sucks, so playing Friedman at least gives us a chance of solid play.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Braun's been trash, but that basically guarantees him a roster spot. Bad play gets rewarded around here.

The coaches won't do it, but the best lineup would be

Sanheim-Myers
Provorov-Ghost
Friedman-Niskanen

Niskanen and Braun have sucked, but if we have to pick one or the other we might as well take the guy who is more positively impactful if he does eventually bounce back. Giving him less icetime might help.
Then for the last spot, Hagg always sucks, so playing Friedman at least gives us a chance of solid play.

I’m glad glad to see someone put our best/#1 pair where they get shoulda be.

Reactions: Striiker

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I had a dentist growing up who was literally the Nazi dentist from Marathon Man. A regular cleaning was a total bloodbath. Having him drill a tooth was the most pleasant experience I'd ever had with him. It was so excruciating that when a Navy doc accidentally forgot to give my friend novocaine before drilling him, the doc scolded him for saying nothing. My friend replied "I thought this is just what dental work feels like." Guy is a SEAL now and has credited our dentist with teaching him to deal with discomfort, which got him through qualification. That's how bad the dentist is..

Is it safe?

Reactions: Beef Invictus

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
If NAK is ready to go, who comes out?

I feel like it will be JVR but I’d rather scratch Grant or Thompson. Not sure which one is more useful against the Isles... possibly Thompson?

G/C/TK (he needs to get going)
Farabee/Hayes/Voracek
Raffl/Laughton/NAK
Grant/Thompson/Pitlick

or

JVR/Laughton/NAK
Raffl/Thompson/Pitlick

If Ghost stays in, what does that look like?

Braun has not been very good, so why not scratch him?

Thompson and JVR out. NAK and Bunny in. Grant centers the 4th line with Bunny and NAK.
I doubt they scratch Niskanen. They obviously like Hagg. Roll 7 defensemen with Thompson out of the lineup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad