Post-Game Talk: ECQF 6 | FLYERS (3) vs. Canadiens (2) | Friday, Aug. 21, 2020 | FLYERS WIN SERIES 4-2

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Thompson and JVR out. NAK and Bunny in. Grant centers the 4th line with Bunny and NAK.
I doubt they scratch Niskanen. They obviously like Hagg. Roll 7 defensemen with Thompson out of the lineup?

I don't know, I feel like Grant is much slower than Thompson, so having NT on the 4th against the Isles may be better than Grant who has shown next to nothing.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
f*** the habs
BBqnNRa.gif

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He sure did :laugh:

Flyers had 5 goals in the second game, then 0, 1, 0 and fell behind 3-1.
It's amazing the Flyers took it to six.

Lost first game 0-7, Mrazek in goal, Ghost 20:32, Couts 20:13, Giroux 17:52
Won second game 5-1, Elliott in goal, Couts 27:15, Ghost 20:31, Giroux 18:06
Lost third game 1-5, Elliott in goal, Couts 26:18, Ghost 24:10, Giroux 22:05, Patrick 19:46
Lost fourth game 0-5, Elliott in goal, Couts out, Ghost 20:57, Giroux 19:40, Filppula 17:07, Patrick 16:58
Won fifth game, 4-2, Neuvirth in goal, Couts 16:55, Giroux 16:50, Filppula 20:17, Ghost 15:00, Patrick 13:02
Lost sixth game, 5-8, Neuvirth in goal, Couts 20:05, Giroux 20:50, Ghost 23:02, Patrick 19:27, Filppula 15:47

Filppula played more in games 4 and 5 b/c Couts was out, then hobbled.
The only players that stood out were Couts and Provorov (and Hagg in his 2 games)

The three kids struggled:
Sanheim CF 43.57%, xGF 40.36%
Lindblom CF 35.68%, xGF 34.98%
Patrick CF 42.26%, xGF 41.42%

The worst veterans were Weise, Lehtera, Read, Manning and Gudas.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
Moving guys around to jump start an offense is so common it barely merits a comment.
A number of reasons
1) get guys out of their comfort zone
2) screw up the opposing coach's matchup strategy
3) hope for "magic," sometimes a new combo works for a short stretch (see Weal, etc), and the playoffs are a series of short stretches

The first line with Raffl instead of Giroux played as well or better, different chemistry and style, but good results.
Unfortunately, Giroux is past the point in his career where he's gonna jump start another line.

Due to injuries, AV simply can't field 3 solid lines or a top checking line.
And Frost isn't the answer, for him to not even be considered an option, he must look really bad on film, and we know it's not age/experience, or Farabee and Bunnaman would never have seen the ice.

As far as AV "praising" Thompson, HCs rarely throw scrubs under the bus (and the ones that do, often lose their clubhouse), highly paid stars that don't produce are a more complicated matter. If a "star" isn't producing and isn't hustling, failure by the HC to call him out can lead to backbiting and resentment in the clubhouse.
Idk that G is past his prime of being able to carry a line, I mean he’s only 31 and is the type of player that has longevity. I think he just needs something to build a little confidence and he can easily still rack up points for 5 years

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Idk that G is past his prime of being able to carry a line, I mean he’s only 31 and is the type of player that has longevity. I think he just needs something to build a little confidence and he can easily still rack up points for 5 years

As a center, G is a bit undersized and lacks great speed. It would work with the right forwards, but right now that's exactly what we lack.
As a LW, he can use his IQ as a playmaker when paired with someone like Couts - he's just far more effective in that role.

Reactions: Bigb47

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
As a center, G is a bit undersized and lacks great speed. It would work with the right forwards, but right now that's exactly what we lack.
As a LW, he can use his IQ as a playmaker when paired with someone like Couts - he's just far more effective in that role.
Part of it for me is also it hurts to say that even though it may he true haha. He wasn’t given the tools to really succeed here as of het (he will be here for awhile I think so he may get that hardware) but he was a fantastic player to watch blossom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad